Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-01-2011, 19:39
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny69 View Post
I find it difficult to believe that the Beeb would be willing to use alcholism as a main plot line in a family show. Also the same for the fact that DT would effectively be committing assisted suicide (by the Doctor asking him to take his fatal last drink). Having said that they handled Van Gogh and his manic depression admirably well last year so who knows.
Ooh! I got a way out of that! "DT's death is a fixed moment in time" and to maintain the fabric of the universe, The Doctor has to get him to drink.
Of course, how well will Nicky take to being asked to re-write it?
Old 30-01-2011, 19:54
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Equally I find it kind of weird how people can think it makes it that much more likely just because RTD has told a Welsh news site that he thinks it'd be a good idea. There's a massive step between that and the current DW writing team, exec producers etc being on board with it. Maybe they are, who knows, but if all we're speculating on is the article posted on the first page of this thread, people seem to be assuming a hell of a lot just from that.
Not really, just that it is more likely having had RTD say he thinks it'd be a good thing than... not. again, What does "that much more likely" really mean?

Upon new evidence something will seem either more likely, or less likely, or exactly as likely as before. I have yet to read a good basis for saying either of the latter, whereas there's a few decent reasons for the former. And I think it's good that it is, in my opinion, more likely. Even if it's only a little bit.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 30-01-2011, 20:00
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Upon new evidence something will seem either more likely, or less likely, or exactly as likely as before. I have yet to read a good basis for saying either of the latter, whereas there's a few decent reasons for the former. And I think it's good that is it, in my opinion, more likely. Even if it's only a little bit.
Well you've managed to gauge this, so surely it's obvious what I mean by 'not that much more likely'. So RTD knows about it and thinks it's a good idea? Big wow. That doesn't mean he's going to do anything with it...that was basically my point, which I think I've made perfectly clear in this thread without needing to get anal about semantics You obviously disagree, good for you, I thought that's what threads were for.
Old 30-01-2011, 20:06
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny69 View Post
I find it difficult to believe that the Beeb would be willing to use alcholism as a main plot line in a family show. Also the same for the fact that DT would effectively be committing assisted suicide (by the Doctor asking him to take his fatal last drink). Having said that they handled Van Gogh and his manic depression admirably well last year so who knows.
Don't see why not really, alcoholism has been covered on Eastenders and probably Holby City and Casualty for years and while they're not exactly family shows in the same way as Doctor Who they're all before the watershed. They'll probably love it actually, it's not glamourising alcoholism at all and they can flash up a helpline number over the credits.
Old 30-01-2011, 20:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Well you've managed to gauge this, so surely it's obvious what I mean by 'not that much more likely'. So RTD knows about it and thinks it's a good idea? Big wow. That doesn't mean he's going to do anything with it...that was basically my point, which I think I've made perfectly clear in this thread without needing to get anal about semantics You obviously disagree, good for you, I thought that's what threads were for.
I agree that RTD's opinion and the publication of it only makes it slightly more likely that Nicky's script will ever be produced. I disagree with that being a reason to be negative or dismissive about it.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 30-01-2011, 21:19
Mr Msppedia

The reason to be dismissive and negative about it is that Nicky is a bassist in a once popular rock band, he's hardly up with richard Curtis or the other professional writers that the show uses. If Russell likes the idea so much he can use it for Torchwood and include sex and swearing "FUCK ME RHYS IT'S DYLAN THOMAS!!! And he looks alot like Michael Sheen, you gonna shag him Jack?" There that's 5 mins of it sorted already!
Old 30-01-2011, 21:46
Stretched out in the sun

It's not likely that Nicky's 'script' will be the 'produced' one. It may be bought, but the showrunner can and will rewrite it.
Old 02-02-2011, 20:14
I live to fall asleep

I think this is brilliant!!!!
The Wire, Dr Who, Dylan Thomas, Laugharne, The Boat House,(Richard Burton, please he's got to be there too) Under Milk Wood, RTD, Locations all over the beautiful country, Melancholic Passion and Tragedy. Just perfect. I really hope this happens...

My only problem is bloody Matt Smith aaaaahhhhhhhh(he is just not right for the Dr)

Now if it was Davis Tennant that would be too perfect
Old 02-02-2011, 20:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
The reason to be dismissive and negative about it is that Nicky is a bassist in a once popular rock band, he's hardly up with richard Curtis or the other professional writers that the show uses. If Russell likes the idea so much he can use it for Torchwood and include sex and swearing "FUCK ME RHYS IT'S DYLAN THOMAS!!! And he looks alot like Michael Sheen, you gonna shag him Jack?" There that's 5 mins of it sorted already!
Yeah, but RTD has said he thinks its a good idea...that takes it from for example you writing a script in your bedroom to a script that RTD thinks might be potentially good. It doesn't mean it's going to happen or it's likely, but it does clear one hurdle, which is getting noticed in the first place.
Old 02-02-2011, 23:38
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
It's not likely that Nicky's 'script' will be the 'produced' one. It may be bought, but the showrunner can and will rewrite it.
Aye, this is what I said the other day (not on the forum, in a conversation). If any of this does ever ever happen, it will be heavily reworked- essentially the main plot idea/s would be his, but not much else.