Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-02-2018, 09:32
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
WMTTB had a great chorus and riff but there’s something about that verse that can’t be saved.
Yeah I agree, it's a very good song and should be bigger and more popular than it is, but the verses just are very flat and uninspiring sadly. The chorus and tiny guitar solo save the song big time.

Hopefully the next single will get some major radio play and TV show performances - how did IB do? I don't listen to the radio so have no idea how much airplay it got, and I assume the video got little to zero plays on music channels which, again, I don't bother to flick through anymore in the hope of seeing something I like. Be nice if the band got a single to sell (or stream or whatever to get 'sales') and make a minor chart impact, but like most bands now they struggle to make the top 100 mostly which is sad Hopefully a slot on Jools Holland and a few big TV shows would help spread the word!
Old 13-02-2018, 22:28
I live to fall asleep

My probably totally inaccurate predictions about the songs that have not already been clarified by the Wire.

Liverpool Revisited - about the Liverpool post-punk bands like Echo and the Bunnymen? That would make more sense of the 'Revisited' than if it were The Beatles (I hope it's not about the Beatles as it would probably be vomit-inducing).

Sequels Of Forgotten Wars - the only overtly political track on the album? It *could* be another 'Second Great Depression' where Wire uses political language to reflect on personal issues.

Broken Algorithms - about technology and how it's affecting society. 'A Billion Balconies' meets Black Mirror.

A Song For The Sadness - a general 'Wire's a bit glum' song.

The Left Behind - about how the band and Richey's family felt after he went missing.

Concrete Fields - comparing today's urban environment with Wire's (or JDB's) childhood memories of having fields to play in, rather than concrete everywhere. Could be either angry or wistful.

A Soundtrack To Complete Withdrawal - an instrumental? If there is a lyric the title would seem to be fair self-explanatory.

Musically I think a lot of it will be fairly upbeat - JDB mentioned on the radio recently that he was influenced by music that propelled itself forwards. It's going to be more of a SATT/PFAYM album than a JFPL or even Futurology, although that said the focus on art is a lyrical continuation from the latter, as are the keyboard sounds in International Blue. JDB did suggest Wire had written some lyrics about the current political situation but given the titles and the topics that the band have already confirmed there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for many of them.
Old 14-02-2018, 00:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
My probably totally inaccurate predictions about the songs that have not already been clarified by the Wire.

Liverpool Revisited - about the Liverpool post-punk bands like Echo and the Bunnymen? That would make more sense of the 'Revisited' than if it were The Beatles (I hope it's not about the Beatles as it would probably be vomit-inducing).

Sequels Of Forgotten Wars - the only overtly political track on the album? It *could* be another 'Second Great Depression' where Wire uses political language to reflect on personal issues.

Broken Algorithms - about technology and how it's affecting society. 'A Billion Balconies' meets Black Mirror.

A Song For The Sadness - a general 'Wire's a bit glum' song.

The Left Behind - about how the band and Richey's family felt after he went missing.

Concrete Fields - comparing today's urban environment with Wire's (or JDB's) childhood memories of having fields to play in, rather than concrete everywhere. Could be either angry or wistful.

A Soundtrack To Complete Withdrawal - an instrumental? If there is a lyric the title would seem to be fair self-explanatory.

Musically I think a lot of it will be fairly upbeat - JDB mentioned on the radio recently that he was influenced by music that propelled itself forwards. It's going to be more of a SATT/PFAYM album than a JFPL or even Futurology, although that said the focus on art is a lyrical continuation from the latter, as are the keyboard sounds in International Blue. JDB did suggest Wire had written some lyrics about the current political situation but given the titles and the topics that the band have already confirmed there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for many of them.
I think Liverpool Revisited might be about bands including Echo and The Bunnymen. They have a song called in Bluer Skies and Richey liked them. Their sound might be influenced in the tracks. I love the new acoustic.

Last edited by rosetree; 14-02-2018 at 00:44.