Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-10-2014, 12:30
Administrator

Richey's contribution to THB / his disappearance

Off topic discussion about Richey's role in THB and his disappearence split from another thread.

Last edited by Takk; 10-12-2014 at 19:55. Reason: addition of post
Old 08-12-2014, 14:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

Richey's contribution to THB / his disappearance

I think it's ridiculous they are playing an album lyrically penned by somebody else and trying to pull it off with some conviction. The HB album is all about the lyrics, it is known for its lyrics, and so by doing this they are no different to a tribute act in that respect. Plus the fact they've admitted they don't even know what the lyrics are about! 'REVOL - WTF?!' as they said...
Old 08-12-2014, 15:20
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
I think it's ridiculous they are playing an album lyrically penned by somebody else and trying to pull it off with some conviction. The HB album is all about the lyrics, it is known for its lyrics, and so by doing this they are no different to a tribute act in that respect. Plus the fact they've admitted they don't even know what the lyrics are about! 'REVOL - WTF?!' as they said...
I think the music is somewhat linked to the love the album deserves....
Old 08-12-2014, 15:31
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
It's as much Jimbo's album as it is Richey's.

In fact lyrically it's 75% Richey's, but musically it's 100% Jimbo's.
Old 08-12-2014, 15:54
Administrator

Exactly, what a load of rubbish.
Old 08-12-2014, 16:03
Doors slowly closing

It's always been more about the music to me with that album.
Old 08-12-2014, 16:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Agree with the others. Have made the point before that the strength behind the band has always been James.

Most songwriters wouldn't have even considered turning something like Yes into a single. James deserves great credit for allowing them to make it as difficult as they like without restricting their lyrical output with his own boundaries. One of the things that makes the Manics unique, even though there has been some clumsy results.
Old 08-12-2014, 16:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:

By that reasoning, they should drop Motorcycle Emptiness, You Love Us and Motown Junk. Sigh...

It would also mean they'd have to drop Kevin Carter
Old 08-12-2014, 17:02

I'd say the Holy Bible is 'not just another album' due to its lyrics. This is how it is known universally and critically. Anyone can be a musician, Richey could have given his unique vision/ lyrics to anybody and they'd have made something out of them too. James is just a musician, plenty of them about.
Old 08-12-2014, 17:07

Not plenty of James's calibre. Plus Richey trusted James to put music fitting to the lyrics. I highly doubt that Richey would have respected any other musician enough to do that. The band have made it clear that one of the major reasons JPFL took so long to come out was that they were concerned that Richey would not have felt the music was appropriate. Other than Richey, the band has the best knowledge to what's s appropriate and also had Richey's trust. It's quite insulting to say any other musician could do the same....
Old 08-12-2014, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Not plenty of James's calibre. Plus Richey trusted James to put music fitting to the lyrics. I highly doubt that Richey would have respected any other musician enough to do that. The band have made it clear that one of the major reasons JPFL took so long to come out was that they were concerned that Richey would not have felt the music was appropriate. Other than Richey, the band has the best knowledge to what's s appropriate and also had Richey's trust. It's quite insulting to say any other musician could do the same....
And who said Richey left the JFPL lyrics to the band? Nicky and James? Has anyone else investigated whether this is true or not? I know it will sound crackpot to some of you, but does anyone even know what Richey's sister says or thinks?
Old 08-12-2014, 17:56
Administrator

Quote:
I'd say the Holy Bible is 'not just another album' due to its lyrics. This is how it is known universally and critically. Anyone can be a musician, Richey could have given his unique vision/ lyrics to anybody and they'd have made something out of them too. James is just a musician, plenty of them about.
Massive assumption, which you've no real evidence for. It's not just about the lyrics, it's about the music. The lyrics would probably be just another poetry book with few buyers without James' (and Sean's) music. Not to mention that Nicky wrote a lot of the key lyrics.
Old 08-12-2014, 17:56
Freed from the century

Quote:
And who said Richey left the JFPL lyrics to the band? Nicky and James? Has anyone else investigated whether this is true or not? I know it will sound crackpot to some of you, but does anyone even know what Richey's sister says or thinks?
Why would Richey's sister be more of an authority than Nicky, James or Sean regarding what Richey did or didn't intend for his lyrics?
Old 08-12-2014, 18:00

Quote:
And who said Richey left the JFPL lyrics to the band? Nicky and James?
. The band.
Old 08-12-2014, 18:07
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
It was the illuminati...