Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-04-2014, 09:34
I live to fall asleep

I've always thought it should have been left as it was on the original and not "doctored". I guess it's more abt Nicky making some kind of sense of things for himself. I'm really not sure it should have been released/put on the album.

When you think of other things that have been written abt Richey since (incl As Holy as the Soil) this seems too contrived and less honest somehow...
Old 25-04-2014, 22:21
Doors slowly closing

My feelings remain that his lyrics were their's to do what they want with, he wrote them for the band (unless he was considering a solo career, which I think is unlikely) and they would have been edited in some shape or form whatever. I credit them with enough honesty and integrity that they would have passed all of JFPL by his family first before releasing it, I don't think there's a selfish or disingenuous motive at work.

I think it's a song of great hope and warmth and I love the way Nicky delivers it.
Old 25-04-2014, 22:28
Builder of routine

it's a lovely song and i'm glad it's on the album.
Old 25-04-2014, 23:18
Born to end

I think of it as a co-written lyric, out of time. The editing is fundamental enough that it doesn't make sense to view it in the same way as the others on the album, but I don't see it as dishonest for that. That quote from The Virgin Suicides on Doors Closing Slowly - WLW seems another example of them trying to put puzzle pieces together, at a point where no-one's sure what the right configuration is, and it's (at least) as much about them as it is about Richey.

Very different from what was intended? Absolutely. Cynical? No more than anything else, in my opinion.

[Also: imagining Richey's solo career. Dear god.]
Old 25-04-2014, 23:26
Winterlover

I love the lyrics and the way they came about - in that it was kind of a collaboration, with Nicky seeing something different in Richey's words than Richey himself did, which I imagine was very much like it was when they wrote together. The fact that Richey left something that meant something specific to him, and that Nicky took it and turned it into something that could be seen as both trying to understand Richey and calling out to him - I think that's rather beautiful, and actually more poetic and meaningful than just using the words as they were left.

I then relate this to something I think Nicky said about YLAINE, along the lines of it being a call-and-response between him and Richey - I think a lot of both Nicky's own lyrics about Richey and the ways he implements Richey's lyrics can be seen like that. It's a dialogue, more involved than just statement (of Nicky's own words) or use (of Richey's). I also connect these thoughts to things Nicky has said about not being able to be as dark and obtuse as Richey - what he brought to their songwriting partnership I certainly feel he brought to WLW, a 'positive melancholia' and a clarity.

Those are my thoughts on it, anyway. You can also look at it in a simpler and more disconnected fashion as it being a straightforward case of inspiration, Richey's words being as valid a source as anything else. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

Nothing to offer on more practical points like 'wtf is that sample all about', I'm afraid. I just have a lot of feelings
Old 25-04-2014, 23:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
When you think of other things that have been written abt Richey since (incl As Holy as the Soil) this seems too contrived and less honest somehow...
Sadly, As Holy As The Soil to me seems far more contrived than William's Last Words, which is saying something.

I've never been overly keen on the song musically (barring the string section in the chorus ) but like lostvigilante and sofarsideways, I can see the point that's been made about a collaboration of sorts. I do like the original lyric (assuming they actually were meant as a set of lyrics; then Richey had to have reasonably expected them to be cut down and moulded into verses/chorus etc), but Nicky's/the band's edited down final version is just as effective at framing the underlying sentiment of it all.
Old 26-04-2014, 02:13
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Hiroshima View Post
What's the significance of the sound effects on William's Last Word's before the music and vocals kicks in?

There's one which sounds like a flare going off and then something that sounds like a playground or something.

I have no idea why they are there or what their meaning is. Anyone offer any theories / explanations?
Oh, it's just Sean was in a geeky mood as he had to work on it after playing his favourite video game.
Old 26-04-2014, 17:08
Winterlover

I thought it was Nicky psyching himself up
Old 26-04-2014, 22:10
Desire on its knees

The intro sound was nicked from another song, i can't for life of me remember who now though!
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 27-04-2014, 04:46
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron the little seal View Post
The intro sound was nicked from another song, i can't for life of me remember who now though!
Carabet Voltaire.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 27-04-2014, 06:38
A self-made vacuum

Where can I read the unaltered lyrics of JFPL?
Beware!
Old 27-04-2014, 09:17
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
To warn overhead planes that Wire is about to 'sing'.
Lol, just brill
Old 27-04-2014, 09:31
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manualex16 View Post
Where can I read the unaltered lyrics of JFPL?
In the booklet of the ltd. edition.
Worth a buy - also for the demos disc.
Old 21-12-2014, 01:49
An imitation of dignity

With regards to Williams Last Words, the conspiracy theorists will no doubt have a field day with the fact that the hidden track which follows WLW starts with the words 'I am not dead'
Old 21-12-2014, 03:00
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
With regards to Williams Last Words, the conspiracy theorists will no doubt have a field day with the fact that the hidden track which follows WLW starts with the words 'I am not dead'
If it was intentional for this to be the message then I guess it's only symbolically meant, i.e. Richey's lyrics will 'live on', his work and contribution is 'not dead' etc. Not that I enjoy overspeculating on such things.