Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-12-2010, 23:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by love made out of hate View Post
yeah but Harbour 2010 are alot closer (in terms of size of audience) to Manics 1992 than Manics 2010.
yeah, I meant it in the sense of personality/the way they behave. But who knows, nicky might be laughing at it...It's just they talk about richey in a way that I can't help but think they wouldn't like people using him in such a shoddy way. Also, they are from South Wales, where they might get seen by band or relatives..it's a bit different than Richey using collages of dead or famous people in a little town in Wales...where they are never going to be seen by anyone with an emotional interest.
Old 22-12-2010, 13:33
I live to fall asleep

I agree with what Takk said a few pages back. I personally don't find this image offensive - it is shit though - but I don't imagine Richey's family will be impressed.
Old 22-12-2010, 23:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Those t-shirts are really crappily done. Having said that, having seen a few pics of 'Harbour' I can see why they'd feel the need to trade on Richey's stunning looks to try and sell a few records...
Old 23-12-2010, 15:11
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
I think it's a touch offensive if I'm honest. Not to the likes of me personally, but as Tim mentioned, to the band and to Richey's family, who might find it a tad insensitive to use that image to promote a band, given the circumstances. It's also badly done and looks really stupid!!

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 23-12-2010, 15:32
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Aye, at least they haven't used Richey to sell Converse.
To the response of 'who is that?' from millions of confused viewers!

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 28-12-2010, 01:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I hope Nicky doesn't discover that. That's pretty cheap really....I'd be pissed off if I was the band.
Nicky wore a shirt of Richey himself. If it's about this specific image, I wouldn't worry either, he's always made positive statements about the 4REAL incident (as did James, at some point.)
Old 28-12-2010, 01:12
I live to fall asleep

^This was bad and quite shameful, but just give it Richey's face and 4 REAL on his arm.

CONVERSE: THE 4 REAL SHOE.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 28-12-2010, 03:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Nicky wore a shirt of Richey himself. If it's about this specific image, I wouldn't worry either, he's always made positive statements about the 4REAL incident (as did James, at some point.)
Richey's his friend, why shouldn't he wear a tshirt of him? This isn't exactly the same deal....
Old 28-12-2010, 03:15
Builder of routine

OK, but I made two points:

1. He doesn't mind Richey's image on T-Shirt (the one he wore was made commercially, he could have not endorsed it.)
2. The band actually seem/seemed quite enamoured with Richey cutting himself during the interview with Steve Lamacq.

And also, from the reports of the night of the incident, they all seemed quite blasé about him doing it (I recently re-read the part in Everything about it, I trust it you probably have the book and you'll be able to see what I mean.)

Last edited by Slideling; 28-12-2010 at 06:07.
Old 28-12-2010, 03:25
Administrator

No I wasn't suggesting he'd object to richey's image on a tshirt...but this is rather an insensitive image, being exploited only for shock value - I don't think how they laughed it off 20 years ago would really have a lot of bearing on knowing whether he'd bothered by it now.
Old 28-12-2010, 03:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Richey's his friend, why shouldn't he wear a tshirt of him? This isn't exactly the same deal....
Yeah, but is he wearing Richey's image because he's a friend or is he wearing his image because in some ways, Richey has become a sort of icon? I'm not too sure anymore what exactly the truth is behind his efforts to lionize Edwards so in some ways, though not entirely, of course, isn't Nicky exploiting Richey as well?

Anyway, I hate that '4 Real' pic and always have for the very same reason that Dean mentioned; all of them, including Richey, used his demons as a promotional tool for the band. Of course the choice to do this was entirely up to them (they're also not the first band to use a band member's psychological problems for publicity and they'll likely not be the last), but that doesn't mean I'm personally required to appreciate their efforts. Still, what does it say about society that so many think a deeply disturbed individual's flagrant display of self mutilation and hatred for himself, is 'cool'? It's a disgusting photo on so many levels.
Old 28-12-2010, 03:30
Builder of routine

Quote:
No I wasn't suggesting he'd object to richey's image on a tshirt...but this is rather an insensitive image, being exploited only for shock value - I don't think how they laughed it off 20 years ago would really have a lot of bearing on knowing whether he'd bothered by it now.
It's a good point, actually, we really don't know how he'd take to it. Whatever his internal reaction would be, I suspect he'd just say something snarky about the band trying to ride on the Manics' fame or something, if he were to respond; I don't expect he'd make a big drama, there have been a lot of insensitive responses to the Richey story over the years.
Old 28-12-2010, 03:30
Administrator

He was wearing a richey and nicky pic, so I guess he liked the tshirt. Unless people are referring to another pic, it's the two of them, the manics that are the icon, not richey himself...so I don't know if it's more than nicky thinking it's cool they are on a tshirt. This seems like shameless and tacky use of a disturbing image.

As an odd aside, how would people feel if this image was being used by a company for product sales?

I don't think nicky would say much. I was more thinking how richey's friends or family would feel if they saw it.
Old 28-12-2010, 03:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Yeah, but is he wearing Richey's image because he's a friend or is he wearing his image because in some ways, Richey has become a sort of icon? I'm not too sure anymore what exactly the truth is behind his efforts to lionize Edwards so in some ways, though not entirely, of course, isn't Nicky exploiting Richey as well?

Anyway, I hate that '4 Real' pic and always have for the very same reason that Dean mentioned; all of them, including Richey, used his demons as a promotional tool for the band. Of course the choice to do this was entirely up to them (they're also not the first band to use a band member's psychological problems for publicity and they'll likely not be the last), but that doesn't mean I'm personally required to appreciate their efforts. Still, what does it say about society that so many think a deeply disturbed individual's flagrant display of self mutilation and hatred for himself, is 'cool'? It's a disgusting photo on so many levels.
I think 'including Richey' is the key phrase here, he probably had more control over his image and how he wanted to be perceived than the other band members. Hence why I don't like the phrase exploitation in relation to Richey, as if anyone had been able to manipulate him in a way he didn't wish to. I don't think it's a fair assumption.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:15
I am purity, they call me perverted

1. I agree to a degree that the image is technically fair game since the Manics did similar things starting out.
2. However I think its rather low and a bad move on that bands part to try and cash in on Richey's image and personal baggage like that (lets face it, the 4 REAL incident was just another by-product of Richey's depression and his personal nature.) I imagine if they are big enough fans to know of the 4 REAL incident then they would have better judgment not to use the image. It's just common decency. I'm sure they wouldn't want someone else profiting off the image of one of their band members if that member died especially if they had similar personal troubles.

Last edited by The Vorticist; 28-12-2010 at 07:22.