Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-12-2014, 19:15
Knowlede Is Power

Absolutly mot. I dont even like him playing as a session musician! He adds nothing spectacular to the live sound, and as for his backing vocals...!
Old 16-12-2014, 19:19
Bored out of my mind

No. As I said in the other sub forum, he's a live musician who's basically told what to do by the band, he doesn't write the songs. Naysmith has been in the Manics camp longer and I don't think anyone would suggest he should be a part of the band either. I don't think Wayne would ever expect to be made part of the band anyway; he's not trying to replace Richey or anything.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:40
Winterlover

There is not enough no in the world.

He's not even very good at what he's supposed to do, that being make the noise he's told to.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:40
Born to end

I do think people are harsh on him as a musician.

The Manics would of have queuing up half way down street from Faster studios if they wanted another session guitarist.

I do think the space left side of the stage kind of holy in there eyes.

Last edited by TheCasual; 16-12-2014 at 19:53.
Old 16-12-2014, 20:34
Desire on its knees

There's no need for that to happen whatsoever. Anyway, don't the band like the idea of having regular live musicians in the same way as the Stones had legendary session guys who weren't members of the band? Pretty sure I remember James saying something like that in an interview.
Old 16-12-2014, 21:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
I do think people are harsh on him as a musician.
He's been known to mess up fairly simple parts, poses an awful lot for someone who's a backing/session musician firmly partitioned as Not Part Of The Band, and provides backing vocals that I often find painfully - on occasion distractingly - bad (yes, that coming from a fan of Nicky's voice). I don't mean to lay into the guy, I've nothing against him personally. I just think, from observing him over the years, that far from being worthy of consideration as a legitimate band member, he's not even exemplary and is entirely replaceable in terms of the Manics live sound set-up - which is actually the only thing he's been bought in to contribute to. So to me the idea of taking his status further folds before it's begun. Of course the band will have reasons for wanting him and it's their call that counts, but that's just my two whatevers worth.
Old 16-12-2014, 21:12
Bored out of my mind

I'm not keen on the vocals he does for the Manics I'm afraid! Nothing against the lad or anything but joining the band as a full time member? Get's a 'No' from me!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-12-2014, 21:15
A self-made vacuum

I don't think I've ever noticed him mess up but I guess that's because I'm too busy jumping up and down and shouting along. Plenty of people who listen carefully say they've noticed and they've noticed James getting angry at him/glaring at him. Perhaps if I listened to recordings of the gigs I'd notice.

I don't like the idea of him joining because I don't like change I quite like the Boy Cried Wolf song I've heard and I don't mind his backing vocals. Green Day had a live guitarist who played a bit on a few albums as a session musician who has now become their official 4th member as far as I can tell and I didn't even like that!

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 16-12-2014, 21:36
I live to fall asleep

At the end of the day a successful rock band just want someone that they can rely on and like travelling with. That is it.
Old 16-12-2014, 21:48
Doors slowly closing

He was a lot better during JDB's solo tour.

No touring musician is ever going to be great with the Manics because they're not really allowed to be. There must have been many an occasion when Nasmyth has mumbled 'not this shit again' to himself when the intro to Masses starts.
Old 16-12-2014, 22:49
Freed from the century

No. I must admit to thinking it could be quite interesting if Richard Hawley joined full time more than once though.
Old 16-12-2014, 22:50
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
He's been known to mess up fairly simple parts, poses an awful lot for someone who's a backing/session musician firmly partitioned as Not Part Of The Band, and provides backing vocals that I often find painfully - on occasion distractingly - bad (yes, that coming from a fan of Nicky's voice). I don't mean to lay into the guy, I've nothing against him personally. I just think, from observing him over the years, that far from being worthy of consideration as a legitimate band member, he's not even exemplary and is entirely replaceable in terms of the Manics live sound set-up - which is actually the only thing he's been bought in to contribute to. So to me the idea of taking his status further folds before it's begun. Of course the band will have reasons for wanting him and it's their call that counts, but that's just my two whatevers worth.
Of the live clips I've seen I've not notice him messing up. But I've probably not seen anyway as many as you have.

How come they haven't replaced him if he continues to mess up? Surely the Manics would have plenty offers from session guitarists.
Old 17-12-2014, 00:04
Administrator

It's a pointless q because it's never gonna happen...there's only 4 manics, and they won't ever change. As James said tonight 'it's becoming stranger and stranger playing gigs without Richey'
Old 17-12-2014, 00:31
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It's a pointless q because it's never gonna happen...there's only 4 manics, and they won't ever change. As James said tonight 'it's becoming stranger and stranger playing gigs without Richey'
i think he just meant the holy bible gigs
Old 17-12-2014, 00:34
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
Of the live clips I've seen I've not notice him messing up. But I've probably not seen anyway as many as you have.

How come they haven't replaced him if he continues to mess up? Surely the Manics would have plenty offers from session guitarists.
everyone messes up sometimes. He's obviously good enough to be in the backing band..and they obviously like the bloke. Very important to get on with the people you work with when you're in a touring band. I don't really get why he's singled out so much.