Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Most Under-Rated Album
Generation Terrorists 6 5.17%
Gold Against The Soul 22 18.97%
The Holy Bible 0 0%
Everything Must Go 0 0%
This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours 5 4.31%
Know Your Enemy 17 14.66%
Lifeblood 48 41.38%
Send Away The Tigers 2 1.72%
Journal For Plague Lovers 9 7.76%
Postcards From A Young Man 7 6.03%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-07-2011, 21:40
Desire on its knees

Everyone of their albums should be appreciated as they are all good in their own way

Lifeblood is the most underrated and the band have assisted in making it so.
It is a brilliant album (which the Lifeblood appreciation thread is testament to). It saddens me that this album gets less praise from the band.....

GATS is always represented in the setlist in some way so in my mind it's not under-rated; With the inclusion of SSI in recent setlists maybe Lifeblood is finally moving from 'under' to 'rated'?
Old 17-07-2011, 21:49
I live to fall asleep

I don't often put much stock in the term 'underrated', but Lifeblood is almost its definition.
Old 17-07-2011, 22:27
Doors slowly closing

Lifeblood, easily.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 18-07-2011, 10:20
A self-made vacuum

Location: The Library basement, where all the best books are.
I think on balance the band under-rates The Holy Bible far more than Lifeblood. A far superior album musically and lyrically and yet we are lucky if they play more than just Faster live nowadays.
Margate 22-09-98 Wembley 16-12-98 Cardiff 31-12-99 Brixton Academy 30-03-01 Wembley 07-12-02 Brixton 08-12-02 Wembley 09-12-04 Hammersmith 18-04-05 Hammersmith 19-04-05 Kentish Town 29-05-07 Astoria 30-05-07 Shepherd’s Bush 31-05-07 Brighton 06-06-07 Cardiff 06-12-07 Brixton11-12-07 Brixton 12-12-07 Brighton 14-12-07 O2 Arena 28-02-08 Royal Festival Hall 12-09-08 Camden 28-05-09 Camden 29-05-09 Camden 30-05-09 Brighton 02-06-09 Kentish Town 08-06-09 Southend 20-10-10 Bournemouth 22-10-10 Brixton 15-12-10 Brixton 21-01-11 Brixton 22-01-11 Hard Rock Cafe 02-02-11 Wolverhampton 19-05-11 O2 Arena 17-12-11 Shepherd's Bush 24-09-13 Cardiff 29-03-14 Wolverhampton 06-04-14 Brighton 09-04-14 Brixton 11-04-14 Brixton 12-04-14 Rough Trade East 08-07-14 London Olympia 14-09-14
Old 18-07-2011, 17:48
Doors slowly closing

Know Your Enemy.

It would have been their best record if they had not included Let Robeson Sing and maybe Epicentre. Epicentre isn't a bad song, but that and Robeson make the album a tiny bit too long.
Old 18-07-2011, 17:51
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial Symphony No.1 View Post
I think on balance the band under-rates The Holy Bible far more than Lifeblood. A far superior album musically and lyrically and yet we are lucky if they play more than just Faster live nowadays.
No they have also played Yes, Of Walking Abortion, She is Suffering & This is Yesterday quite alot in the last 4 years.

THB, EMG, SATT and JFPL are the only MSP albums that have been played in full. Meaning i think people have had their fair share of THB. They need to start playing more non-singleTIMT/KYE/LB songs to balance it out.
Old 18-07-2011, 18:13
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
No they have also played Yes, Of Walking Abortion, She is Suffering & This is Yesterday quite alot in the last 4 years.

THB, EMG, SATT and JFPL are the only MSP albums that have been played in full. Meaning i think people have had their fair share of THB. They need to start playing more non-singleTIMT/KYE/LB songs to balance it out.
I don't think it's a coincidence the only tracks they haven't played from TIMT are I'm Not Working and Be Natural, and some from those other records as well - they're tracks totally put together in the studio and I doubt they could do them any sort of justice live (I'm Not Working would just send the whole room to sleep anyway). The records which have been played in full are probably their most "3 guys in a room" records anyway, so no surprise they're the ones which have had the most attention; they're also probably their best.
Old 18-07-2011, 18:21
Bored out of my mind

Would love to hear I'm Not Working live.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-07-2011, 20:07
I live to fall asleep

'Know Your Enemy' by a country mile. It's probably my second favourite Manics album after 'The Holy Bible'. I love the variety of musical styles, the roughness of the production, the angry lyrics, even the art-work. I have to disagree with Radiomanic though - 'Robeson' and 'Epicentre' are two of my favourite tracks on there, and in fact two of the Manics songs I listen to most, along with the massively under-rated 'His Last Painting'. Factor in the raw fury of tracks like 'Freedom Of Speech', 'Intravenous Agnostic' and 'Found That Soul' and you've got the different sides of the band represented on one album. I'd swap 'Wattsville Blues' for 'Ballad of the Bangkok Novotel' and squeeze 'Locust Valley' on there somewhere. Other than that, it's fantastic.

But I do think 'Lifeblood' doesn't deserve its poor reputation either. '1985', 'Empty Souls', 'A Song For Departure', 'To Repel Ghosts', 'Solitude Sometimes Is' and 'Cardiff Afterlife' are great, the others are decent (yes, even 'Nixon'). I'd perform more surgery on it than 'KYE' though - loads of b-sides I'd swap. In fact, I'd probably make two albums out of and its b-sides (especially if you incorporate the '4-Ever Delayed' era tracks).

GATS is probably my least favourite Manics album though - I'd agree with the half/half thing, but I'd take the massively over-rated and dull 'From Despair To Where' off the 'good' list and swap it for the title track which I've always really liked.

And if this thread was just about this forum 'Postcards' would be in with a shout - hated on this forum, well reviewed and well-selling in the real world.
Old 18-07-2011, 20:10
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
GATS is probably my least favourite Manics album though - I'd agree with the half/half thing, but I'd take the massively over-rated and dull 'From Despair To Where' off
I agreed with you up until this point!
Wet with love, it wasn't there
I was dreaming, you always are

I see the coins that were your eyes
My eyes shining like sapphires
I can't think, and I can't paint, I can't love!
And no one will, for money makes us up

Death to monetaries!
Death to monetaries!

Twitter
Patsy The Dolphin Dog
Old 18-07-2011, 20:13
Bored out of my mind

Postcards only appears to be hated on this forum, plenty of us love it!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-07-2011, 20:19
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Postcards only appears to be hated on this forum, plenty of us love it!
Postcards is a very good album. Way more mature and well-crafted then Send Away The Tigers, and a great contrast to Journal. There's plenty on here who like it, and plenty who pretend to hate it.
Wet with love, it wasn't there
I was dreaming, you always are

I see the coins that were your eyes
My eyes shining like sapphires
I can't think, and I can't paint, I can't love!
And no one will, for money makes us up

Death to monetaries!
Death to monetaries!

Twitter
Patsy The Dolphin Dog
Old 18-07-2011, 20:21
Born to end

Quote:
Would love to hear I'm Not Working live.
agreed, I'd much rather hear I'm not working live than you stole the sun from my heart
Old 18-07-2011, 20:26
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bowlase View Post
Postcards is a very good album. Way more mature and well-crafted then Send Away The Tigers, and a great contrast to Journal. There's plenty on here who like it, and plenty who pretend to hate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailofdan View Post
agreed, I'd much rather hear I'm not working live than you stole the sun from my heart
Two posts that agree with me in quick sucession! Surely a record for me!
I love YSTS at gigs though!
Old 18-07-2011, 20:32
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Two posts that agree with me in quick sucession! Surely a record for me!
I love YSTS at gigs though!
Third post!
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth