Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:20
Europa Gluten Free's Avatar
Europa Gluten Free Europa Gluten Free is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,172
To be honest, I hope there are no more collaborations for the near future.

Just give us a 10 song album, all belters. Don't over produce or over think it. Just some rock tunes, some quirky post-punk tunes, and an acoustic number.

Then get out and tour.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:26
Son of Stopped's Avatar
Son of Stopped Son of Stopped is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Make a cup of tea
Age: 46
Posts: 15,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
To be honest, I hope there are no more collaborations for the near future.

Just give us a 10 song album, all belters. Don't over produce or over think it. Just some rock tunes, some quirky post-punk tunes, and an acoustic number.

Then get out and tour.
12 song album. In fact I want 18 as I know they've got a great double album of Rock songs in them still, but seem to think nobody wants that.
RTF would suffer if it was a double album, but they have got a more thought-out KYE in them.
And agree to the tour! Hope they come back to Liverpool soon!

B-side are a waste of time nowadays sadly, so fill it up!

On Topic: Siouxsie and yes, Paul McCartney!
__________________
"PERPETUAL ENKINDLING MACHINE" outlined...

MADE A MOVIE OF MY POETRY IN MY BEDROOM https://youtu.be/Vq73VlTb3WI Top that, mainstream and counterculture! Cut straight to the chase about environment https://youtu.be/Ia6LGJou9CY

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 09-08-2017 at 10:29.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-08-2017, 11:54
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 37
Posts: 14,298
Depends what they're trying to do really. Someone like Karin Dreijer would be great by me, but think she'd be suited to a Lifeblood type sound, or maybe Rewind The Film and Futurology rather than Everything Must Go, Send Away The Tigers or whatever..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-08-2017, 17:35
raven's Avatar
raven raven is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,399
I was going to say Cerys Matthews.....though of course she has....although I don't think they've recorded together have they? If not, they should fix that

& I'd love Courtney Love to join em on stage....Your Love Alone....is maybe too obvious a choice.....they should invite her on for a rendition of Faster.....and see if she can out Wire the Wire with a barbed comment or two....I think so
__________________
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)


"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-08-2017, 19:35
cherrybomb's Avatar
cherrybomb cherrybomb is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
To be honest, I hope there are no more collaborations for the near future.

Just give us a 10 song album, all belters. Don't over produce or over think it. Just some rock tunes, some quirky post-punk tunes, and an acoustic number.

Then get out and tour.
Yes this! Particularly perhaps the 'don't otherthink it' bit. I swear ever since SATT they've used the same quote when talking about the lead single, 'This track was actually the last one to be written and recorded when we realised the album didn't have that big Manics anthem on it'. Stop trying to make that big Manics anthem ffs! Just get in the studio and make some noise and if a big Manics anthem doesn't come naturally don't try and force one or we'll end up with another INW(JTEOL).
__________________
I fuck arses. Who fucks arses? Maybe he fucks arses!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
Yes this! Particularly perhaps the 'don't otherthink it' bit. I swear ever since SATT they've used the same quote when talking about the lead single, 'This track was actually the last one to be written and recorded when we realised the album didn't have that big Manics anthem on it'. Stop trying to make that big Manics anthem ffs! Just get in the studio and make some noise and if a big Manics anthem doesn't come naturally don't try and force one or we'll end up with another INW(JTEOL).
"Here's our new song, it's called 'Love Love Love Enough (Enough With Love)'"
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 • Glastonbury 2022... maybe? (36)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-08-2017, 18:04
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
Collaborations are all fine and good (for the most part) but they're never the foremost reason I look forward to a new album.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-08-2017, 11:04
tomd2103 tomd2103 is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 182
I know he has appeared live with them, but Gruff Rhys for me. In fact I've always thought Four Lonely Roads (not that Cate Le Bon did a bad job) would have been a good song for him and can imagine him singing it. Him and James playing it on that Newsnight slot they slot they had would have been great.

I'm not sure the presence of another singer has always really addred that much to some of the songs to be honest. It definitely has with some (Little Baby Nothing, Rewind the Film, Your Love Alone and Europa Geht Durch Mich), but then I don't think it has with others (Some Kind of Nothingness, Between the Clock and the Bed).
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-08-2017, 15:59
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post

I'm not sure the presence of another singer has always really addred that much to some of the songs to be honest. It definitely has with some (Little Baby Nothing, Rewind the Film, Your Love Alone and Europa Geht Durch Mich), but then I don't think it has with others (Some Kind of Nothingness, Between the Clock and the Bed).
Black Holes for the Young is one of the very best in my book
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 • Glastonbury 2022... maybe? (36)
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-08-2017, 19:19
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Black Holes for the Young is one of the very best in my book
I agree with you there. Just listened to it again this morning funnily enough, on my TIMTTMY playlist... should have been on the album for me, What was the story with that again, anyone remember? I would have personally dropped I'm Not Working or Born A Girl for it, or just had 13 tracks, if it had been up to me.
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| PorcoTunes: Soundcloud=fdporco YouTube=PorcoForever | Newest Track: 'Arrakis' - (SC)(YT)
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-08-2017, 20:07
Bambi's Avatar
Bambi Bambi is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: beneath the waves
Age: 38
Posts: 5,696
Re Black Holes For The Young:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
...should have been on the album for me, What was the story with that again, anyone remember?
It was so shit, and Sony laughed so hard, that Ellis-Bextor ran off to to swiftly reinvent herself as the rhombus-faced, posh-vowelled disco queen we all know and love.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:24
Suicide Aldi's Avatar
Suicide Aldi Suicide Aldi is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Re Black Holes For The Young:

It was so shit, and Sony laughed so hard, that Ellis-Bextor ran off to to swiftly reinvent herself as the rhombus-faced, posh-vowelled disco queen we all know and love.
Congratulations. You just won the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-08-2017, 21:01
raven's Avatar
raven raven is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
I know he has appeared live with them, but Gruff Rhys for me. In fact I've always thought Four Lonely Roads (not that Cate Le Bon did a bad job) would have been a good song for him and can imagine him singing it. Him and James playing it on that Newsnight slot they slot they had would have been great.

I'm not sure the presence of another singer has always really addred that much to some of the songs to be honest. It definitely has with some (Little Baby Nothing, Rewind the Film, Your Love Alone and Europa Geht Durch Mich), but then I don't think it has with others (Some Kind of Nothingness, Between the Clock and the Bed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Re Black Holes For The Young:

It was so shit, and Sony laughed so hard, that Ellis-Bextor ran off to to swiftly reinvent herself as the rhombus-faced, posh-vowelled disco queen we all know and love.
Meow.

Tis hard marrying up vocals but I did find Ian McCulloch a good choice for Some Kind of Nothingness. I think Sinead O'Connor could make a good cover of it too, in a quiet key....yeah as a duet with James that could work. I can hear that
I hope someone's taking care of her...
__________________
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)


"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 14-08-2017, 13:23
tomd2103 tomd2103 is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Black Holes for the Young is one of the very best in my book
Like the song (the B sides in that period were pretty much all decent), but I think that is a good example where the duet doesn't really add much to it and James' vocals alone would have been fine.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 14-08-2017, 14:59
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
Like the song (the B sides in that period were pretty much all decent), but I think that is a good example where the duet doesn't really add much to it and James' vocals alone would have been fine.
This is essentially my view of it, too.

I do wonder what was intended for BHFTY - a single, maybe? - as I find it hard to believe that it was originally meant to be 'just' a b-side.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.