Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 08:51
Bored out of my mind

Don't think Nicky is gonna take over from James and Sean in the music writing stakes.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03
Doors slowly closing

I Killed The Zeitgeist and The Great Western showed where the songwriting talent lies in this band nowadays.

It's a shame that we still have to endure poor JDB's midlife malaise holding back Nicky's rich vein of form on Manics albums. Any other band would have split up on grounds of 'musical differences' long ago. It must be horrible for Nicky to hear something like I Think I found It and have to lie to his mate, 'great one, James, let's put that on the album, you totally have found it!'.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42
Bored of being bored

I Killed the Zeitgeist was a fantastic album and I love every song Nicky has ever majorly contributed to (yes, even Wattsville Blues!). I'd take an entirely Wire-written new studio album anytime over another James-penned record.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46
Mr Msppedia

SKON and Platitudes are his and the Manics best songs since the Truth days (YLAINE also is in this category) the lyrics have improved tenfold though still some suspect ones in there but yeah please just leave the singing to James on the main album tracks (including the little oral farts that have been seeping into a few songs) he's one of the best voices in the business, it's just unnecessary
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47
Doors slowly closing

People make me cry when they don't like Nicky's voice.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
People make me cry when they don't like Nicky's voice.
Nicky's voice makes me cry sometimes, and not in a good way, more mourning how good the track could have been
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

How much did Nicky really write those songs or was there some prett`y major reworking from the demos? I haven't heard the demos.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55
Stretched out in the sun

I wish they'd credit the songs properly by who did what, but I suppose it's easier to not have to fuck about with royalties and stuff and just say everything's an even split. Ha, I know Nicky was credited for writing music on Horses Under Starlight, but I've always assumed he didn't write anything and that James and Sean were just feeling sorry for him cos there were no lyrics.

Not only Nicky's musical contributions, but I've wondered if James has made any lyrical ones either on SATT or PFAYM. I'm glad Wire's been making more of a musical impact on the band, though. I still can't believe IKTZ is actually quite good.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55
Bored of being bored

Nicky's voice fits the songs he sings. WLW, Wattsville Blues or TFHBH4E wouldn't have suited James' voice. And I love SKON, but Nicky's lo-fi demo fits the theme of the song much better imho.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiortranew View Post
Nicky's voice fits the songs he sings. WLW, Wattsville Blues or TFHBH4E wouldn't have suited James' voice. And I love SKON, but Nicky's lo-fi demo fits the theme of the song much better imho.
True apart from SKON, it would have killed the song unless he had taken Ian McCulloch's roll which probably would have been better up until the final verse, he wouldn't have been able to hit those notes (no offense). But barring WLW the rest really should have been B Sides. WLW his vocals added some poignancy to it all and it worked perfectly, but the others just didn't fit with their respective albums.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon Poet View Post
How much did Nicky really write those songs or was there some prett`y major reworking from the demos? I haven't heard the demos.
Impossible to say really. Who's to say James wasn't heavily involved in the demos too/ Just because Nicky was singing...doesn't mean he came up with the entire arrangement.

To me James is still one of the best song-writers around at the moment.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07
Bored of being bored

I read that he wrote GP entirely himself and it's my favourite song on PFAYM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09
Doors slowly closing

Golden Platitudes, The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever, Some Kind of Nothingness, Marlon JD, She Bathed Herself in a Bath of Bleach and William's Last Words I'm fairly sure are Nicky's melodies from start to finish (even if James and Sean had a hand in the final arrangement).

The verse and bridge of Your Love Alone is Not Enough is his, but listening to his demo of (It's Not War) Just the End of Love, that song was substantially reworked (by James I guess).

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 03-10-2010, 10:30
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayseph View Post
but listening to his demo of (It's Not War) Just the End of Love, that song was substantially reworked (by James I guess).
Ah balls. Haven't heard that yet. I do own it, I just don't have a cassette player
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18
Bored of being bored

You can listen to it here.

I love the chorus of his demo, but the verses are a bit unmelodic.