Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 21:15
Doors slowly closing

as far as i can tell, Nicky's Mum did this back in the 80s, when things were a little bit more innocent and straightforward. i can't see any malice or intent to con anyone here, just a wish to get some autographs for her son from his favourite bands. i can see how after the fact it could be interpreted as a bit off or dubious, but i would dare suggest the intention was pure and innocent.

of course, when the Daily Mail et al get hold of this story, get ready for "sick Welsh musician cons 80s legends" as a headline.
blog
Old 01-10-2010, 21:19
Builder of routine

*really ill* could mean anything at all though.. flu..food poisoning erm..can't think but i've heard people say that about their own illnesses...genuine ones ...*I felt really ill* doesnt mean you need hospitalization. Saying that i can see how morrissey etc would think *better reply just in case*

It's a cheeky thing to do and not a great example for yr child on how to behave obviously if there was nowt wrong at all but i don't think its that big a deal
Old 01-10-2010, 21:20
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
I used logic rather than mock horror.
I wouldn't have thought the first logical step was to decide everyone else in this thread is caught up in a bout of mass hysteria and you're the only person with a sense of logic really, but there we are I don't think anyone plans to make placards (or giant postcards...see what I did there?) and stand outside Mrs Wire's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
of course, when the Daily Mail et al get hold of this story, get ready for "sick Welsh musician cons 80s legends" as a headline.
I think you might be over-estimating how much those outside of the Manics fanbase are going to care about this story
Old 01-10-2010, 21:34
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
*really ill* could mean anything at all though.. flu..food poisoning erm..can't think but i've heard people say that about their own illnesses...genuine ones ...*I felt really ill* doesnt mean you need hospitalization. Saying that i can see how morrissey etc would think *better reply just in case*

It's a cheeky thing to do and not a great example for yr child on how to behave obviously if there was nowt wrong at all but i don't think its that big a deal
Exactly.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:37
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I wouldn't have thought the first logical step was to decide everyone else in this thread is caught up in a bout of mass hysteria and you're the only person with a sense of logic really, but there we are I don't think anyone plans to make placards (or giant postcards...see what I did there?) and stand outside Mrs Wire's house.
Well I wouldn't have thought that jumping to conclusions immediately after a few words from the NME was particularly logical, but there we are.

It seems like any excuse for an e-placard to me, but there we are again.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:38
Footprint of history

Surely the other problem here is that we're relying on something Nicky has said being, y'know, accurate and not exaggerated in some way.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:39
Doors slowly closing

Quote:

I think you might be over-estimating how much those outside of the Manics fanbase are going to care about this story

very likely that i am, but you never know - sensationalism sells, one of them is bound to pick up on it, even if only 15 years from now!
blog
Old 01-10-2010, 21:41
Mr Msppedia

Maybe the Star would print it, but they've already done their bit of Manics-baiting by saying that Richey's feet truned up in 2003 and it was completely made up (quelle surprise)
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
*really ill* could mean anything at all though.. flu..food poisoning erm..can't think but i've heard people say that about their own illnesses...genuine ones ...*I felt really ill* doesnt mean you need hospitalization. Saying that i can see how morrissey etc would think *better reply just in case* It's a cheeky thing to do and not a great example for yr child on how to behave obviously if there was nowt wrong at all but i don't think its that big a deal
I'd agree totally if it was a one off, but to do the same thing at the same venue, multiple times...come on, that's deliberately playing with the ambiguity of 'really sick'. I just think the whole thing is a bit pitiful.
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
Well I wouldn't have thought that jumping to conclusions immediately after a few words from the NME was particularly logical, but there we are.
This is FD, following so much as an exhalation of air from Nicky Wire leads to a discussion thread, so I don't know why you're surprised

Quote:
It seems like any excuse for an e-placard to me, but there we are again.
Again, this thread is no worse than pretty much every other thread in Manics Discussion. It seems like the word 'hysteria' gets thrown around at the mere sign of someone expressing a negative opinion.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:44
HBIC

Quote:
Again, this thread is no worse than pretty much every other thread in Manics Discussion. It seems like the word 'hysteria' gets thrown around at the mere sign of someone expressing a negative opinion.
Yep.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:45
Bored of being bored

Quote:
This is FD, following so much as an exhalation of air from Nicky Wire leads to a discussion thread, so I don't know why you're surprised
I know, I know

Quote:
Again, this thread is no worse than pretty much every other thread in Manics Discussion.
I know, I know (no lol)

EDIT: I think it not being a one off but a constant it this thing.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:46
Footprint of history

Just seems like people really enjoy hating on Nicky. I mean, yeah he's quite annoying sometimes but he's not the antichrist.

And yes, I'm aware nobody claimed he was the antichrist.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:49
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
but he's not the antichrist.
No but heeeeeee is an aaaaaaaaaanarchist!!

And has the T Shirt to prove it
Old 01-10-2010, 21:49
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Just seems like people really enjoy hating on Nicky. I mean, yeah he's quite annoying sometimes but he's not the antichrist.

And yes, I'm aware nobody claimed he was the antichrist.
No, I'd think it was equally naff if it was some random kid bragging about his mum pulling the same stunt in Take A Break. The fact that it's Nicky is why it's on here, not the reason for thinking it's pitiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Architect View Post
Surely the other problem here is that we're relying on something Nicky has said being, y'know, accurate and not exaggerated in some way.
Bloody good point!