Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-09-2010, 14:54
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.selfdestruct View Post
Beaten by an actor and three knackers. It does make me a little sad.
i said something similar to a mate on msn. Beaten by an old codger and a coffee table band
Old 26-09-2010, 14:59
Born to end

shame the boys didn't get to number one but these days I don't think its such a big deal, quality music will always win in the end regardless of chart position. I've never been very interested in chart position (although I was gutted when a design for life didn't get to number one because of that dick head mark morrison). Like I said earlier....quality music always wins in the end...where's mark now hey....and more to the point, who cares.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:03
Bored of being bored

i find it extremely difficult to get wound up about who/what beat them when Postcards is what it is. this week there have no doubt been Phil Collins fans having a natter about how bland the Manics are, and they're no less wrong than you guys. seriously, why do people here think that basic, upbeat and by their own admission nostalgic pop/rock with strings and choirs is somehow less naff than whatever Collins and The Script is doing? what's the argument? you think the Manics are just better at being cheesy and naff? so do i, but take a look around- a real look around.

anyway, the thing about the chart position is a bit silly. it was always possible that they could have got to number one on the back of the hardcore fanbase, which would seemingly have been taken by the band and some people here as validation of the current direction. but communicating to the masses involves more than having a number one album in a soft week and dropping like a stone (which seemed like the best case scenario). number three still seems like a good result if you care about such things and i'm glad that they're less likely to pretend they achieved something that they didn't. it's fairly obvious, if anyone ever pretended otherwise, that the Manics can expect to reach more or less (but very little more than) the same installed fanbase with whatever they do... soft-rock, post-punk or innovative dubstep. if they want to broaden their appeal their best bet, frankly, is hits and best of compilations marketed at the late teen NME crowd. in the meantime when it comes to new material they should realise that they're preaching (lol) to the converted and innovate their sound and live sets before they wear our affection out.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:15
Builder of routine

nowt wrong with wanting your favourite band to do well chart-wise. It is important to a degree cos you get dumped if yr records don't sell though i'm sure no one here is planning to go write off the day and go to bed cos they've not reached the top.
I'm happy, they've released an album that people like and the gigs are selling well so all is good in ManicsWorld
Old 26-09-2010, 15:16
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyroyalty View Post
i find it extremely difficult to get wound up about who/what beat them when Postcards is what it is. this week there have no doubt been Phil Collins fans having a natter about how bland the Manics are, and they're no less wrong than you guys. seriously, why do people here think that basic, upbeat and by their own admission nostalgic pop/rock with strings and choirs is somehow less naff than whatever Collins and The Script is doing? what's the argument? you think the Manics are just better at being cheesy and naff? so do i, but take a look around- a real look around.
In fairness to Phil Collins, he has writen some great pop songs(not in the last 20 years mind you). It's no surprise he is number one, even if it's only based on what he's done in the passed.
The Script are boody awful. I'd nearly rate Westlife ahead of them. They're just three business men/session musicians out to make money and ride the crest of the wave of bland. They wouldn't exist if it wasn't for bands like Snow Patrol, who have gotten away with awful crimes against decent music, over the last decade.

I can very easily understand why one would not like Postcards, but naff it is not.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

Was a bit gutted, after keeping my fingers crossed for them all week, but trying just to think about the tour now. That's all that matters really, being able to see them live. For that, chart positions are irrelevant and no one can take it away from me.

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr
Old 26-09-2010, 15:28
Doors slowly closing

Maybe we should delete this thread and replace it with a 'Postcards @ No.1' one before Gutless comes online. She doesn't need to know the painful truth.

But I know it won't happen because all of you are eagerly awaiting this evening's big red text breakdown.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:29
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyroyalty View Post
How can you argue for or against personal opinion?

As I have said before I get something out of ironic lyrics like Entertainment & Don't Be Evil. If anyone else doesn't, so what? Frankly it pleases me that my opinions are divergent from those people. As I have respect for the Manics & what they are trying to do.

I get absolutely nothing from Phil Collins covers & the blank pages of The Script. I can only speak for myself & can't attempt to force people to agree with me, I'm not that arrogant...on this occasion.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:35
Doors slowly closing

I've always liked Phil Collins' cover of You Can't Hurry Love, but what I've heard of this new release is just conveyer belt covers that have no artistic merit.

You can say people like that kind of thing, but you can also say that the same people expected an album's worth of covers as good as You Can't Hurry Love, which this isn't. And, let's be honest, anything with a lower than three-and-a-half-star Amazon customer review average = beyond shit.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:39
Bored out of my mind

I think we've already established high chart positions doesn't necessarily mean high quality, so isn't a debate about the artistic merit of Phil Collins' covers album a bit redundant? The point is he has enough appeal to make people want to buy his new release; that's not to say everyone who buys it is going to think it's the greatest album ever.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:40
Footprint of history

JFPL went in at #3 as well. Nice.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:59
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Maybe we should delete this thread and replace it with a 'Postcards @ No.1' one before Gutless comes online. She doesn't need to know the painful truth.

But I know it won't happen because all of you are eagerly awaiting this evening's big red text breakdown.
I 'll be ok Kirb.

*loads rifle*
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 26-09-2010, 16:01
Doors slowly closing

#3 is rather good for an album that had approx. 500 sales "excluded" since that memento box doesn't count to sales, and apparently has benefited from Sony's most excellent marketing & stocking strategies.

#3 in, this day and age, is fucking excellent for an album that has apparently been gratis dans le internet for about 3 weeks, and has had the benefit of "hardcore" fans telling all and sundry how shit it is.

#3 is a fucking shocker for the industry with the "giveaway" price it was on amazon for - so much for legal downloads, wonder if the sales would have been better if those of us (un)fortunate enough to be outside of the UK had been allowed to buy this format.
blog
Old 26-09-2010, 16:03
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I 'll be ok Kirb.

*loads rifle*
Do I need to counsel you or advise The Script and Phil to put on bullet vests?
Old 26-09-2010, 16:05
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
nowt wrong with wanting your favourite band to do well chart-wise.
Exactly. When the dust settles, no.3 is not bad at all, it's just disappointing when it's been at no.1 all week.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---