Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 17:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

not seeing them when they played t4 on the beach (which is about 5 minutes walking distance from my house)

and not seeing them on the JFPL tour, as it was bang in the middle of exam time.

i guess the first regret doesn't matter too much as they only played four songs and the crowd was just a horde of 13 year old chavettes.
Old 02-09-2010, 17:49

Let's see...

Not being born earlier! I wish I had attended at least one concert with Richey.

Too shy to talk with the Manics fan I saw in the queue when they came to Portugal this year.
Old 02-09-2010, 22:26
Freed from the century

^
Ditto that last one — I regret not talking to many fans when I saw the band, and not staying in touch with the one girl I met after the gig.

And I slightly regret not going to another US tour date last year. It would've been entirely impractical but I could have skipped a class and made it to Boston...
Old 02-09-2010, 23:01
Winterlover

Been thinking about this lately actually. I'm the perfect age to have been a first-generation Manics fan (born in 1976), but I grew up in the far west of Ireland, and it was very difficult to be a fan in any conventional sense with that sort of background, especially when you're tied to your mother's apron strings too.
If I had been living even in Dublin I would have had so much more opportunities in terms of buying music papers, meeting other fans etc. I was talking to a guy the other week who told me being a Smiths fan in the 1980s changed his life, and I could have had that experience with the Manics.
One thing I could have done even in my situation was buy Generation Terrorists in 1992, rather than a couple of years after. It would have been such a perfect first album to buy. Also if I had caught their appearance on the IRMA awards in 1992, I might have made more efforts to become a real fan earlier.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17
Freed from the century

Not seeing them in Detroit. I had a zillion reasons not to go (namely, my credit card was almost maxed out, I'd just seen them twice, I didn't know where I was going - and I REALLY didn't want to be lost in Detroit), but we could've been put on the list for the gig. I was with three other people. We kicked ourselves the whole way home.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:29

That the years I was living in London coincided with the KYE and Lifeblood period, and I just wasn't feeling the manic love then - and so consequently only saw them once over that period when I should have been making the most of it and seeing all the shows I could!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50
A self-made vacuum

I regret being born in the wrong era, on the wrong side of the river, if you will.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:10
Stretched out in the sun

Not seeing them live. Except maybe once, in their very early days. There's always been a good reason and it just doesn't seem to work out. Maybe next year.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:11
Freed from the century

Not going to the This is My Truth gig in '99 at the Bowery Ballroom (really small venue in NYC) and...okay...wait for it...

Not going to see them at the Limelight in NYC back in the day, the Limelight was my second home for years and for some f'n reason when I had the chance to go...nah. WTF? I was already a fan. Damn it. Don't like to talk about it

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
Old 03-09-2010, 05:27
Doors slowly closing

Picked the wrong gate to queue at for the Millennium gig (gate jammed, friends got in, I didn't. Them- barrier, me- 10 rows back after 17 hour queue). NOT THAT I'M STILL BITTER ABOUT THIS OR ANYTHING.

I went off the Manics from late 2002 until 2007, which I don't regret because I was bored of them and it's good to have a break but I do slightly regret throwing away ALL my posters, cuttings, fanzines, t-shirts, books, gig photos, tickets, promos etc. OH GOD, SO MANY HUNDREDS OF INTERVIEWS AND NICE PICTURES WENT IN THE BIN
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17
Bored out of my mind

I regret not going to see them on the Lifeblood/PPF tour and not hanging around for an extra half an hour after the Wolves gig for Journal.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16
Doors slowly closing

regrets? probably limited to the odd single not bought, not being somewhere that i can see them live, things like that.

mostly, though, it seems i am angry. going on how they have decided to dress me up at work today to celebrate Spring Day, it seems i am very angry with God for not making me Nicky Wire.

blog
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Picked the wrong gate to queue at for the Millennium gig (gate jammed, friends got in, I didn't. Them- barrier, me- 10 rows back after 17 hour queue). NOT THAT I'M STILL BITTER ABOUT THIS OR ANYTHING.
That was awful, Kev and I got in the first two on our gate but then it all went wrong, I had Kev literally laying horizontally on the barrier for about 15 minutes to save as many places as possible for people that queued...

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05
Doors slowly closing

I regret not going to see them at Radio 1 Big Sunday think in Irvine back in 2001. I don't think it was a particularly memorable gig, but there was plenty to laugh at in terms of other acts, and the crowd.

I do regret not doing more of James' solo tour dates - I didn't think the tour would be as much fun as it was!

I have been to Hell and back and let me tell you it was wonderful.

I'm building bonfires of my vanities and doubts to get warm
Just like everybody else
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz Delirium View Post
That was awful, Kev and I got in the first two on our gate but then it all went wrong, I had Kev literally laying horizontally on the barrier for about 15 minutes to save as many places as possible for people that queued...
That gig sounds so traumatic for everyone that queued, every time someone talks about it. It's the sort of thing that, had I been there and it all went wrong, would probably haunt me for the rest of my life.