Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstephenson View Post
Dead on there, yeah. And if I recall correctly, "YLAINE" even moved up the chart from its debut position.

But still, they had two #2 singles off LB, which seems even stranger to me now when taking into account that neither of the follow-up singles from SATT broke the top five...
It's statistics being distorted by other things though - those two number 2s were some of the lowest selling no 2s ever, and it was before downloads came in. So when they were included for the SATT singles and sales were higher, a worse chart position may mean a better sales.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
now that the band themselves have admitted that SATT is quite a superficial album

where did they say this
Old 06-06-2009, 12:49
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeToDeath View Post
I think it's great they are doing so well again. I've always been a fan and loved all their albums but KYE/LB was a low point in their career and i did worry wether they would ever come back from that, but with SATT and now JFPL they have certainly come back all guns blazing. I don't think they will ever be like oasis etc. though. Even though oasis have put out some pretty horrendous drivel over the past few years they still are considered a cool band and can sell out huge arenas with no problems, yet even though the manics i would say were bigger in the late 90's they no longer have that image these days.

I also think it's interesting that this 'resurgence' has come about at a time when other indie rock bands are fading into insignificance - eg Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight, Hard-Fi etc. I know they aren't direct comparables musically, but my point is that maybe the general public has found a real empathy with the Manic's attitude and soul, whereas these other bands sing about fuck all and frankly aren't that interesting (despite having decent songs, well ok, not Hard Fi their second album was absolute shite).

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 06-06-2009, 12:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiB View Post
IMy point is that maybe the general public has found a real empathy with the Manic's attitude and soul, whereas these other bands sing about fuck all and frankly aren't that interesting.
As I said before, that's all about a subconscious desire for authenticity, which despite being a somewhat superficial concept in itself, does lend some weight to a band who clearly have a down to earth, dedicated, and at times, self-deprecatory attitude to what they do.

Johnny Borrell taking himself ever so seriously, or other bands of that ilk rabbiting on about their oh-so-wild weekends doesn't really translate in a world where people are finally becoming aware of the financial and socio-political issues that surround them. The Manics are a perfect antidote to that, because for all their pomp and circumstance, they are, to use a rather obvious phrase "for real", and an audience will understand and respect that. Like I suggested earlier in the discussion, very few bands have accumulated histories these days, and I think people warm to hearing of the genuine life stories of those who entertain them, in a far more tangible way than the generated hype surrounding more disposable figures.
Old 06-06-2009, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongerthanmensa View Post
where did they say this
Nicky said that in the short Mojo interview that accompanied the JFPL review...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29
beavis07

I've been very pleasantly surprised I have to say....

After KYE came out, I just gave up. Lifeblood is an abomination and event SATT is a humanitarian disaster of near biblical proportions as far as I'm concerned.

So given all that, I'd totally written them off years ago. I saw them on the Forever Delayed tour a while back and assumed that would be goodbye...

When JFPL was announced, I assumed therefore that it'd be shit, but given the Steve Albini/Richey factors I figured I'd give it a go and was toally blown away. Went to see them in Brighton last week.. again, blown away. Great gig, the album songs were even better live etc

This is unprecidented I think... *Everyone* from Dinosaur Jr to Guns N Roses to David Bowie get shitter as they get older, it's practically a physical law of nature. (With the exception of an honourable mention for Metallica, their last album was decent).

So fair play to them.. clearly Richey's lyrics help a lot. Personally I fell that Nicky's are a bit rubbish a lot of the time, and clearly they don't inspire James to the same music heights that Richey's do (I believe Nicky said words to this effect himself). So I reckon this might be a one-off... we shall see.
Old 18-06-2009, 19:55

all bands go through slump phases i personally do not dislike any manics album as i think they are all genuinely brilliant in there own right
Old 12-10-2009, 22:11
Stretched out in the sun

Whatever my opinions of the individual albums, my pride in being a fan of Manic Street Preachers has always remained strong.
Old 13-10-2009, 00:50

The next album is the key album.

THB was a reaction to GATS and EMG was a reaction to Richey's disappearance. TIMTTMY continued in the same vein as EMG, which they reacted against with KYE. TIMTTMY is a polished piece of arena pop, while KYE is less melodic and quite messy.

The band could be accused of pretending to be Coldplay with LB (and quite frankly, did a better job at being Coldplay than Coldplay could ever do), but at least they challenged themselves by producing highly melodic and very intricate music. Doesn't grab me much, but to each their own.

I think the band regretted their loss in stature and being intelligent and talented, they wrote SATT specifically to be a hit.

JFPL is genuine art, but it uses Richey's lyrics.

Thus, the next album is the clincher: will they be able to create another artistic, catchy album without Richey's input, or will they potentially flounder?

I don't think they'll flounder. They already made their mistakes with KYE and LB. They know what their audience is looking for and it's what they're good at -- intelligent, thought-provoking rock music with melodies and depth.
Old 13-10-2009, 01:44

Best said. After seeing them live. It shows they still have the energy in them. I am hopeful that the next album takes it to the next level. I am pretty sure the band have realized the mistakes they made in the past by now.

Quote:
I remember being excited in the making of Know Your Enemy that they'd said they were returning to their 'punk' roots of Generation Terrorists; but of course a bunch of 30-somethings trying to be 'punk' is always going to be a disaster.
Interesting that was brought up because I remember them saying something similar to that on SATT. I am kind of a little confused about it.
Old 13-10-2009, 04:23
Winterlover

Really, really great post, Karen! I agree completely with you except of course your dislike for LB. You know I dig that album. *shakes fists at all the LB doubters out there*

Their next album is pivotal, but I must confess that I have a habit of not particularly enjoying every other album they make...literally. Starting with GT which was great and moving upto the current JFPL which is also wonderful, every other album inbetween has been flawed in someway (only my opinion) so I'm kind of concerned that I may not like it very much. Obviously I'm hoping that this cycle is broken with the next release.
Old 13-10-2009, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irradiata View Post
The next album is the key album.

I think the band regretted their loss in stature and being intelligent and talented, they wrote SATT specifically to be a hit.

JFPL is genuine art, but it uses Richey's lyrics.

Thus, the next album is the clincher: will they be able to create another artistic, catchy album without Richey's input, or will they potentially flounder?
Some excellent points here Irradita ... I couldn't agree more .. the next album is a absolute "clincher". This is the record that perhaps permanently seals their soldidarity of being one the UK's giants in the music business ... saying that at the risk of sounding overly emphatic...

...but the first four records were their youthful climb towards what the ultimately scored with EMG ... they sustained the trend somewhat with TIMTTMY, but things definitely changed (as has been acknowledged in a couple posts here) with KYE .. LB (love it or hate it) was the continuation of a loss (though they toured that record in arenas in the UK right ... so there was some level of perceived success .. a band wouldnt be booked to play arenas by promoters if it werent going to sell). SATT and JFPL reignited the band in their own minds....

..IMHO they looked back across their catalogue and as again you point out Irradita "the band regretted their loss in stature and being intelligent and talented, they wrote SATT specifically to be a hit" .. SATT supported JFPL to come into being ..

..the have to continue with this successful reidentification of themselves ... stick to what they know works for them as a band. LB (which I personally dont hate) doesnt really "sound" like the Manics ..does it? SATT does (again IMHO). Nicky can write eloquent, articulate, intelligent and beautiful lyrics .. the last album being Richeys should have just given Nicky more time to whip out another 'Design for life' (or similar).

I do think its a somewhat "do or be done to" time .. I think theyre up for the challenge.. the energy theyve been putting out at shows (on both sides of the pond) is refreshing and new .. its at the peak and the pinnacle of a rediscovery and I truly believe we're in for a treat with the next record..... he says

Excellent continuation of an excellent debate
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18
Old 13-10-2009, 05:44
Winterlover

The notion that they should stick to what they do best seems to encourage a bit of a divide among Manics fans. Although I'm not exactly sure what it is they "do best" seeing as they've proven themselves to be quite a versatile band, I'm very much on the side that wants to see them continue to push musical boundaries. In fact, sticking with one sound is not only creative suicide for the individual(s), but it's also the kiss of death when it comes to bringing in a new audience or even sustaining an older one. To put it in perspective, had they not decided to take chances musically, the world would not have had the pleasure of hearing the brilliance that is The Holy Bible.

I guess I can see where you kids are coming from in terms of their musical direction, I'm just not at all in agreement.
Old 13-10-2009, 07:14
Bored out of my mind

Yeah, I wouldn't want them to stick to the same sound for two consecutive records. One of the reasons I love them so much is the variety in their musical output.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 13-10-2009, 09:35

very interesting thread

it does seem that the Manics, as much as anything else, will a;lways have things to SAY... which a lot of bands, being mainly about having fun in their youth, rapidly run out of