Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 08:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I also get the feeling that Kevin Carter before and after Richey were two different beasts. Considering the way the band tip toes around leftover lyrics for 14 years, I doubt they would have went a direction for the song he would obviously not liked.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 05-02-2016, 18:51
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I also get the feeling that Kevin Carter before and after Richey were two different beasts. Considering the way the band tip toes around leftover lyrics for 14 years, I doubt they would have went a direction for the song he would obviously not liked.
The band taking 14 years to use the lyrics had nothing to do with any questions about musical direction. It took them 14 years to use the lyrics because that's how long it took for them to be emotionally ready to deal with using them.
Old 05-02-2016, 19:32
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
The band taking 14 years to use the lyrics had nothing to do with any questions about musical direction. It took them 14 years to use the lyrics because that's how long it took for them to be emotionally ready to deal with using them.
And even then it was pushing it as I'm sure james or nicky referenced while making the album nicky told James to scrap the whole idea before coming round the next day
Old 05-02-2016, 19:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I remember James said Richey thought Kevin Carter sounded like the girl from ipanema when he first played it to him. He responded something like *no promise you it won't sound like that* I think turning that into a huge deal that richey didn't like the direction the band was going in is a bit OTT. Wasn't it just played on an acoustic ?
I wasn't trying to argue that Richey didn't...I think the worries over the music for the lyrics left behind show just how much it was a collaborative effort. As to the direction of the band - clearly Richey wasn't well, clearly his lyrics were continuing on from The Holy Bible and his vision for the band seems to have been to continue in that general field. I don't sense it was any big issue at the time only I can imagine that it would have been hard to go on in that field both musically and also for them, not that it's anyone's place to discuss that, I can just see how they could have locked themselves in until it kind of imploded. But no one can know because as James has said - if only Richey could have been around to see the success made of Kevin Carter and beyond - of If You Tolerate etc....the music doesn't always have to sound like your brain feels.
And, hell, he loved the sound of Small Black Flowers....so
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 06-02-2016, 11:31
Doors slowly closing

He would've been around to hear No Surface All Feeling's acoustic demo and record the album track too
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53
Doors slowly closing

Can we all at least agree that Journal For Plague Lovers was a better title than Pantadelica would have been?

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 06-02-2016, 15:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Can we all at least agree that Journal For Plague Lovers was a better title than Pantadelica would have been?
No

That title is amazing
Old 06-02-2016, 16:00
Freed from the century

It's worth pointing out that Picturesque was an earlier attempt to use some of the lyrics that Richey left. I believe there were other examples too (just can't remember them off-hand now).

Regardless of the methods used to take Richey's lyrics from page to finished product, EMG and JFPL and utterly fantastic albums. JFPL was a big gamble but it didn't disappoint. Quite the opposite actually.