Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-10-2009, 10:07
Doors slowly closing

This is a really interesting discussion, however it does rankle with me that SATT and JFPL are considered 'easy' albums. Yeah, they had Nina Persson on one single in the former but if it wasn't a good album (and a good single) it wouldn't have got them anywhere. The same goes for JFPL. Yeah it has Richey's lyrics but just because it was surrounded by a small amount of media hype it shouldn't detract from what an amazing achievement and staggeringly good album it is. The next album shouldn't be considered some kind of grand test and the two recent ones as 'get out of jail free' albums. That just devalues them and the amount of hard work that went into both!
Old 13-10-2009, 10:23
Under neon loneliness

Perhaps not an "easy" album, but the "easiest" singles they've ever picked. Just bland Radio-2ery, when they could've had a Rendition/Imperial Bodybags double-A. Strikes me as a major cop-out to have gone for Autumnslog and Indifferent Summer over that.

And no, I'm not proud of those, but I was pressed for time.
Old 13-10-2009, 10:41
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Autumnslog and Indifferent Summer....

And no, I'm not proud of those, but I was pressed for time.
we'll let you off *lolz
Old 13-10-2009, 10:45
Stretched out in the sun

Yeah, I suppose as far as studio albums are concerned 2001-2004 seemed to be a bit of a comercial pit. I wonder if they'll have ended up being more forgotten about if they hadn't sandwiched Forever Delayed and Lipstick Traces between Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood. Could've been like a belated second album syndrome.

Gotta admit, although it took a while for me to love Lifeblood, I didn't have a clue what to expect from them after that. But after hearing I Killed The Zeitgeist and The Great Western, I knew they were gonna carry on being great.
Old 13-10-2009, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
The notion that they should stick to what they do best seems to encourage a bit of a divide among Manics fans. Although I'm not exactly sure what it is they "do best" seeing as they've proven themselves to be quite a versatile band, I'm very much on the side that wants to see them continue to push musical boundaries. In fact, sticking with one sound is not only creative suicide for the individual(s), but it's also the kiss of death when it comes to bringing in a new audience or even sustaining an older one. To put it in perspective, had they not decided to take chances musically, the world would not have had the pleasure of hearing the brilliance that is The Holy Bible.

I guess I can see where you kids are coming from in terms of their musical direction, I'm just not at all in agreement.
Fair and valid points here ... excellent counter argument. I agree (perhaps in contradiction now) to some of what you said: "they've proven themselves to be quite a versatile band, I'm very much on the side that wants to see them continue to push musical boundaries" ... I'm in eager anticpation of where the Manics will continue to push things. They are a versatile band, and they have the ability to be extremely creative!

I think for my own meaning, what I was driving at talking about "sounding like themselves" and "doing what they do", was after shuffling some songs on my ipod on a road trip yesterday. Comparing some of the sounds from all the albums .. most noticeably (and again not a rag on LB by any means), there's a distinct reduction on that album in that raw guitar sound and thumping drum riffs .. back were the synthesizers and drum machines ... I feel like (and may well be wrong) their "successful" sound is based in that guitar sound.... at least thats what I personally gravitate to.

I'm proposing that if the next album contains some of that old formula guitar rock, versus some of the electronic components of drum machines etc, it'll do better ?!?!?!?!

To be honest .. the Manics could release an album of white noise and I'd still buy 3 versionsn of it ... haha
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18
Old 13-10-2009, 15:31
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooberfan View Post
To be honest .. the Manics could release an album of white noise and I'd still buy 3 versionsn of it ... haha
Don't give them ideas.
Old 14-10-2009, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Really, really great post, Karen! I agree completely with you except of course your dislike for LB. You know I dig that album. *shakes fists at all the LB doubters out there*
Thanks! And, I am slowly warming to LB, but if it weren't the Manics I doubt I'd be listening to it. Amusingly, I did pull out a Coldplay album (blew the dust off) and compared and I was amazed at how much better LB is. The Coldplay stuff was really boring and straightforward, but the LB stuff challenged my ears and got my notice. (Still can't abide 'Emily' and 'Cardiff Afterlife' though.)

Regardless what the Manics produce for their next album, I'll buy it and give it a fair listen, and even if it's an unholy mix of 'Disco Duck' and Poison, I'll go see them on tour.
Old 14-10-2009, 12:08
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I think that a big link here is the bands attitude to their work. I can only say that 2001 to 2004 almost seemed like they were going through the motions a little bit, they kind of lost their way and even the live gigs were not as energetic as they have been (they weren't bad they just lacked some lustre) yet i think the PPF tour gave them something back (and i think Nicky has said somewhere that if it hadn't been for that tour they may have just faded away) and since then they have just got this amazing passion and love for their work i feel which reflects in the albums and most definately in their live performances.

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 14-10-2009, 15:37
I live to fall asleep

KYE is brilliant, and TIMTTMY is meaningless pop? SATT is much more generic pop rock nonsense
How it managed to become a comeback i will never know.
JFPL is what it's really about

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 26-10-2009, 14:25

just a few observations kye sounded like somebody trying to be the manics (this sort of started with masses), but not quite succeeding its not without it's good points though.

I've always thought that lifeblood is amazing, its sort of an organic procession from timttmy but the reason it "tanked" is that it was well ahead of its time maybe a 6 months or a year later it may have been a different story.

ps this makes perfect sense in my flu ravaged brain if it doesn't sorry