Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-10-2011, 07:06
Knowlede Is Power

Three Piece SWEET

OK I know it's been said a thousand times, but lets all hope for the band to play as a three piece at the NT show!

Last nights appearance on the SEAT programme was the best I've seen them for ages.
They clearly love each others company and were on superb form, the song choices may not have been spectacular but the versions were excellent.

I know there's a thread relating to the SEAT programme - so I just want to use that as a catalyst for starting a thread to try and get the word to the band that (hopefully people agree) as a 3 piece our band ROCKS
Old 27-10-2011, 08:11
I live to fall asleep

You seem to be ignoring the fact that they sound much, much better with a backing guitarist (see all performances of Faster, Tolerate and Masses since 2004)
I'd much rather have a four piece and experience the full-on Manics sound.
It's not as if the extra musicians have any stage presence anyway, and having them there certainly won't distract them from 'enjoying each other's company' or 'being on superb form'.
The multimedia stuff along with every single and the focus on the band will create a pretty intense experience as it is.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 27-10-2011, 08:22
Stretched out in the sun

It's a hit and miss thing really... Sometimes the keyboards are a bit too much and sometimes Wayne's vocals don't work too well but overall I think there's more good than bad to come out of them as a live five piece. Just gives JDB that bit more freedom. Then there's the troubles he's been having with his voice last year and that scary thread about this new singer malarkey. Haven't read it, scares me too much. As far as vocals go, I'd rather someone contribute than take over.

I was lucky enough to be at the King Tuts gig last year when they performed as a three piece and it definitely is my favourite Manics gig I've been too, but after seeing them as a five piece so much there were a couple of things that struck me about the gig. I thought From Despair To Where seemed a little bit weird without the keyboards but on the other hand Tolerate sounded great and JDB did a good job of recreating the synth sounds at the start on his guitar.

That said, this is the o2... King Tuts, great. o2, not so sure.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:32
Winterlover

A lot of the songs sound far better with the keyboards augmenting the sound, especially the ones with where the keyboards takes a heavy role in the first place. And pretty much every song sounds better with the additional guitar.

So no, have to disagree, fill the sound. If anything, I wish they'd have even more additional instruments where wanted/needed to make a special gig like this sound even more special.
Old 27-10-2011, 09:43
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
It's a hit and miss thing really... Sometimes the keyboards are a bit too much and sometimes Wayne's vocals don't work too well but overall I think there's more good than bad to come out of them as a live five piece. Just gives JDB that bit more freedom. Then there's the troubles he's been having with his voice last year and that scary thread about this new singer malarkey. Haven't read it, scares me too much. As far as vocals go, I'd rather someone contribute than take over.

I was lucky enough to be at the King Tuts gig last year when they performed as a three piece and it definitely is my favourite Manics gig I've been too, but after seeing them as a five piece so much there were a couple of things that struck me about the gig. I thought From Despair To Where seemed a little bit weird without the keyboards but on the other hand Tolerate sounded great and JDB did a good job of recreating the synth sounds at the start on his guitar.

That said, this is the o2... King Tuts, great. o2, not so sure.
Sorry my thread scares you Rich!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 27-10-2011, 11:34
Winterlover

I can't see them ever being a 3 piece live again. There is way too much going on for them to consider it. The alternative, which would probably work, would be a 4 piece with all strings/synths on a backing tape and the extra guitar which is much needed. Holy Bible is more or less the only record without any backing keys or synth noises, so in reality it has to be a fixture for the band.
Old 27-10-2011, 13:11
Doors slowly closing

I prefer the sparse 3 piece sound. Only playing the lines that matter sounds much cooler, and it never did Queen or Led Zep any harm.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 27-10-2011, 14:35
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I prefer the sparse 3 piece sound. Only playing the lines that matter sounds much cooler.
Disagree. Take a song like Tolerate - that NEEDS something extra. The combo of electric and acoustic guitar not only gives the song the atmosphere it deserves, but allows James to focus more on his vocals.
Same goes for having two guitars on Faster etc - ever since 2004, James' all round performance has been better (well, except for a few dates on the last tour where his voice was very weak)

Old 27-10-2011, 14:43
Bored of being bored

Three piece all the way!

I've heard those other two ruin more than one song with super loud/ugly keyboards/backing vocals.
I guess an extra guitar could be fine, but I'd rather see them as a trio.
They can do it.
Old 27-10-2011, 14:47
Under neon loneliness

I don't think they could do it in a venue like the O2 (without sounding fucking terrible).
Old 27-10-2011, 14:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I don't think they could do it in a venue like the O2 (without sounding fucking terrible).
This. Just imagine Motorcycle Emptiness without backing guitar. It would be flat and just flap around the arena.

Old 27-10-2011, 15:02
Bored of being bored

ok then, rhythm guitar. No keys.
Old 27-10-2011, 15:27
Winterlover

Can you imagine There By The Grace Of God or The Everlasting in an arena with one guitar and no keyboards? It'd be a huge pile of wank.
Old 27-10-2011, 15:57
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
It'd be a huge pile of wank.
Big time.

Old 27-10-2011, 19:17
Knowlede Is Power

Just chucking another thought out there....do you think it would be nice as a 3 piece (disregarding sound quality etc) for a bit of nostalgia or maybe nostalgia's not the right word, a bit of appreciation for the way the band carried on after Richey and made it big as a three-piece?
I know that during most live shows since Richey they have used extra musicians but wouldn't it be nice to see them as we love them, 3 members of the greatest British Rock band together.

Oh and they sounded OK as a 3 piece when Richey was in the band

(I know all the counter arguments about Arenas etc etc - just looking at it from a different angle than musically!)