Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: How many stars would you give it?
0/5 2 3.85%
1/5 2 3.85%
2/5 2 3.85%
3/5 8 15.38%
4/5 25 48.08%
5/5 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2021, 18:43
Freed from the century

It’s pretty bloody good isn’t it. 4/5 for me after one listen. I think it might be a grower as well. After being a bit underwhelmed by the singles I have been presently surprised by how much I liked it.

Were you crushed, Did I rush you, All my time is yours, My twisted heart is yours, The faithless shit is yours, The shameless fits of love that only smother you for moments, Until I fold them up and leave, All yours.
Logic will break your
Old 05-09-2021, 21:00
I live to fall asleep

Can't believe the majority score is 4/5. That means Even in Exile is about 9.5/5.
Old 05-09-2021, 21:06
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Can't believe the majority score is 4/5. That means Even in Exile is about 9.5/5.
2006: JDB puts some of his best songs into The Great Western
2007: SATT happens

2020: JDB puts some of his best songs into Even in Exile
2021: ???

I really hope this one grows on me
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 05-09-2021, 21:12
Winterlover

Funny that Lifeblood, TGW, SATT, EIE and TUVL are probably my five favourite Manics related albums (along with JFPL).
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 06-09-2021, 14:58
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Even in Exile is probably the best Manics / solo album since … everything must go maybe? As much as I rate many other albums, I love KYE, I like lifeblood, everything after. But even In exile is fantastic. The lyrics, the songwriting, the music, the guitars, the voice, absolutely fantastic.
Old 06-09-2021, 15:15
Desire on its knees

Even in exile took a while to fully appreciate for me but it is stellar. I'm happy to give tuvl a long time to sink in
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 16-09-2021, 03:04
Bored of being bored

15 votes for 4/5. Wow.
Old 16-09-2021, 07:05
I live to fall asleep

The votes kinda show how few people use FD really
Old 16-09-2021, 13:51
Under neon loneliness

It's lovely. It's a cool breeze on a fevered brow.

I waited six days to listen to it, because I was so worried that I wouldn't like it, but all my doubts were baseless.

Diapause is beautiful.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:18
Doors slowly closing

Went for a walk earlier and listening to the album it really sounded wonderful while “enjoying beautiful blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way” to quote a certain filmmaker.

“Everyone, have a great day!”

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 16-09-2021, 16:21
Under neon loneliness

Despite a very negative initial reaction I've really come round to about half of it. Sapporo is today's earworm. I'm surprised to admit I'm now a 4 on this.
Old 16-09-2021, 17:48
Winterlover

Voted 4/5 though it's more of a 7/10 at the moment - but it might flip higher in the coming weeks. I am very much getting a little more obsessed about this every time I listen which is surprising, but welcome.
Old 16-09-2021, 23:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
I’ve digested the album for a few days now and I think I’m ready to provide my thoughts on it. I’ve decided to rate each song based on my fairly generous scale. I never usually rate any Manics song lower than 5/10, except for maybe the songs that piss me off the most (e.g. Glasnost).

Still Snowing In Sapporo – 9.5/10
I’ve loved this song ever since I managed to hear bits of it on Japanese radio earlier this week. It’s very dynamic with the chorus being one of the best on the album. Beautiful glacial synths in the chorus and those phased backing vocals are to die for. I’m looking forward to hearing this live but no idea how it’ll work with the semi-acapella bits. I originally scored this 10/10 but I’ve taken half a point off because the super long intro before the vocals kick in is unneccesary!

Orwellian – 8/10
After playing this song to death when it came out, I went back to it in the context of the album and gave it a second chance. I totally understand why this was chosen as lead single as it does have a lovely chorus but I think it’s still quite ploddy and isn’t up to par with the other material. I think it could have benefitted from a slightly faster tempo. The vocals bug me a bit, James is very nasal sounding but that could be because of the mixing and processing on his vocals. As with many of the songs on the album, the drums are either mixed right down, compressed to fuck or have completely disappeared due to the tonnes of reverb. I will say that the Jo Whiley session version is good though, so there is that!

The Secret He Had Missed – 8.5/10
Another song that I pretty much played to death. Lovely bass playing from Mr Wire on this one, and for once I prefer the female vocal to James’ singing. I feel the chorus is the one thing that really lets down the song as the verses sound lovely. The live session version was really good but I didn’t like Cat Southall’s theatrical oversinging! Surprisingly still one of the weaker songs on the album for me.

The Quest For Ancient Colour – 10/10
When I managed to get hold of the album, this was the first track that came up that was completely new to me. The piano and vocal intro immediately drew me in and got me hooked. Beautiful melody, lovely backing vocals and I love the guitar solo to bits. I think this song is a rare example of the mixing being done properly for once on the album.

Don’t Let The Night Divide Us – 6/10
Bit of a dirge this one. The music doesn’t suit the lyric for me and I don’t like the words much anyway. The only redeeming feature of the song is the brilliant guitar solo and that’s the only reason why this song didn’t get 5/10. If you want to hear an anti-establishment song, go and listen to 30 Year War.

Diapause – 10/10
Wow – honestly didn’t expect much from this song from the bit that we heard on the trailer. I thought it was going to be another Vivian but I couldn’t be more wrong. Easily the darkest song on the album, I think this song will appeal to fans who are looking for something a bit more experimental. The bridge and the chorus are sung absolutely beautifully and the melody couldn’t have been any better if James tried. This song just keeps giving – the synth jazz keyboard solo is one of my favourite moments on the entire album. I hope they play this live but with the tempo changes, it is unfortunately very unlikely. This song, along with a handful of other songs from the album will go into my list of all-time favourite Manics songs.

Complicated Illusions – 10/10
Having heard the live version the over the bank holiday weekend, I was really looking forward to hearing the recorded version of it. I can honestly say that I was not disappointed. The vibe is very similar to one of my most favourite Manics songs, Distant Colours, even going as far as sharing nearly the same chords. The chorus is a real ear worm and I hope this track gets a single release. The only thing that I don’t like about the song is that the harmonies on the choruses are hidden by the extreme amount of reverb and slap back echo applied to the vocals and instruments but my 10/10 score remains in spite of this.

Into The Waves Of Love – 8.5/10
When I first heard this one I cringed at the female wailing but having listened to it a few times since, I’ve accepted the song for what it is and now it’s safe to say that I’ve embraced it! Yes, the song is very light, poppy and not usually something I enjoy all that much but the chorus is pretty strong and there are some nice diminished chords in the verses to hold my interest. The instrumental/wailing section could have been taken from a mid-70s prog rock album, and that’s cool with me – certainly a nod to James’ recent solo work.

Blank Diary Entry – 8.5/10
Didn’t like this song at first but it is growing on me. The first thing that hit me was it sounded like the acoustic guitar riff was lifted from the rejected demo for Thirty Thousand Milk Bottles from Even In Exile. I know sod all about Mark Lanegan but this song sounds like what Rewind The Film could have sounded like had Richard Hawley sung along with James. It’s a good song, it reminds me of some of those acoustic Holy Bible b-sides with a more mature approach. I can’t quite place it but the guitar solo sounds like it was taken from a b-side from the EMG or TIMT era.

Happy Bored Alone – 9/10
Someone’s said this sounds like a b-side and I agree – but I love Manics b-sides so this song is like catnip to me. The intro sounds like something from GATS mixed with Duran Duran when the vocals kick in, perhaps. The ABBA influence is very strong on the chorus and I love those descending piano notes. I can imagine this one being performed live thanks to the fairly sparse arrangement and I’m looking forward to it.

Afterending – 10/10
I was going to give this 9.5/10 but to be honest that would be doing it a disservice. This is probably the most Lifeblood-esque song on the whole album, with influences from JDB’s two solo albums and a smattering of TIMT. Afterending is massively expansive and also gives me strong Badfinger vibes. When a song makes you grin and nod your head to the rhythm of it on your first listen then you know it’s going to be a good one! *If*this is the last ever track on the last album by the Manics then for me it’s a great way to go out but we all know that won’t happen!!

Great review, totally agree with most of what you say here, I would just knock Orwellian and Into the waves of love down a few points but everything else 👍

Stay Beautiful.
Old 16-09-2021, 23:35
Bored of being bored

I originally gave this a 3, but it’s easily a 4. Job well done.