Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-04-2018, 15:25
Stretched out in the sun

Is Resistance Is Futile going to be the least represented album on its tour?

I could well end up eating whatever words I end up rambling here but anyway, we're half way through the Resistance Is Futile tour and they've played 6/12 of it live and wonder if that's going to change at all this week.

Alright, previous album tours have been longer and the more albums you have the harder it is to do a representative set.. there's generally at least a couple per album that don't get played at all, just wondering where we are with this album. Not even thinking about Futurology, that release was a weird affair.
Old 30-04-2018, 15:51
A self-made vacuum

I think 6 is the average number for a new album (Journal excluded) on the tours I've gone to going back to Lifeblood, though KYE was better represented I think.

The usual frustration really, particularly when I saw Joan as Police Woman play 10 or 11 songs off a new 12 song album, with only two popular songs, five days prior to the Birmingham Arena show
Old 30-04-2018, 16:10
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Why play new material when you can attempt and fail again to warm the crowd to Let Robeson Sing.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 30-04-2018, 16:47
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
I think 6 is the average number for a new album (Journal excluded) on the tours I've gone to going back to Lifeblood, though KYE was better represented I think.

The usual frustration really, particularly when I saw Joan as Police Woman play 10 or 11 songs off a new 12 song album, with only two popular songs, five days prior to the Birmingham Arena show
It's usually more than that.

Know Your Enemy, 6 date tour - 9/16
Lifeblood, 8 date tour - 8/12
Send Away The Tigers, 23 date tour - 9/10
Postcards From A Young Man, 22 date tour - 8/12
Rewind The Film, 7 date tour - 7.5/12

We'll see eh.
Old 30-04-2018, 17:15
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Don't forget though that for PFAYM, most sets had only four maybe five PFAYM songs where as on the Lifeblood tour it was about six with decent rotation.

Six songs off the new album should be the mandatory minimum.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 30-04-2018, 17:30
I live to fall asleep

SATT was the best tour for new material, they were on fire on that tour.
Old 30-04-2018, 17:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post

We'll see eh.
Think SATT was a 10/10 in the end. They played Underdogs once in Germany.

We had 11 from KYE if you include the one time Intravenous Agnostic was played and the acoustic Royal Correspondent at Reading and Leeds.

RTF sounds high, I thought they only played about 4 songs from it?!

What did we have from Futurology? That was well represented. The title track, WMTTB, Let’s Go To War, Europa, Divine Youth, SPLM, Dreaming A City, BTCATB (once at HMV). Think The View From Stow Hill was done once or twice at one of James’ acoustic thingies.

Should really be looking at 8+ new songs per gig / tour. Still gives us 15 hits.

Last edited by Lee; 30-04-2018 at 17:57.
Old 30-04-2018, 17:51
A self-made vacuum

Quote:

We'll see eh.
I was thinking more in terms of new songs per gig being around 6, rather than from a while tour. Just looking at the dates I did on all of those tours, that seems to be the case and that's a shame amongst 22 odd songs a show.
Old 30-04-2018, 18:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I could well end up eating whatever words I end up rambling here but anyway, we're half way through the Resistance Is Futile tour and they've played 6/12 of it live and wonder if that's going to change at all this week.

Alright, previous album tours have been longer and the more albums you have the harder it is to do a representative set.. there's generally at least a couple per album that don't get played at all, just wondering where we are with this album. Not even thinking about Futurology, that release was a weird affair.
Seven off Futurology that I saw live during that weird affair.

Walk Me To The Bridge
Europa Geht Durch Mich
Let's Go To War
Futurology
Between the Clock and the Bed
Dreaming a City (Hughesovka)
Divine Youth
Old 30-04-2018, 20:04
Winterlover

This is a classic case of diminishing returns. I won't go back and analyze each tour now, but the template for a long while has included 6 new songs per show (not per tour.) This tour seems to have 5, but of course we are now at the stage where the band have 12 other albums to choose songs from. I imagine there will be another tour later in the year where they'll do a few more?
Old 30-04-2018, 20:11
Builder of routine

I doubt they'll do more dates if this tour didn't sell out ?
Old 30-04-2018, 20:11
Bored of being bored

SATT worked because the venues were small/good/varied & it was a long tour which lasted over a month.

The 2nd leg in December was probably an overkill, I didn't enjoy the gig at Brixton.

This current LP is in the wrong place & its nothing special, the songs are average at best to me.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Don't forget though that for PFAYM, most sets had only four maybe five PFAYM songs where as on the Lifeblood tour it was about six with decent rotation.

Six songs off the new album should be the mandatory minimum.
At the rescheduled Birmingham gig they only did three. Four off Everything Must Go, mind.

Yeah, I find it odd how little of the album they’ve played so far considering the promotion gone into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Think SATT was a 10/10 in the end. They played Underdogs once in Germany.

We had 11 from KYE if you include the one time Intravenous Agnostic was played and the acoustic Royal Correspondent at Reading and Leeds.

RTF sounds high, I thought they only played about 4 songs from it?!

What did we have from Futurology? That was well represented. The title track, WMTTB, Let’s Go To War, Europa, Divine Youth, SPLM, Dreaming A City, BTCATB (once at HMV). Think The View From Stow Hill was done once or twice at one of James’ acoustic thingies.

Should really be looking at 8+ new songs per gig / tour. Still gives us 15 hits.
Sorry, should’ve been clearer. When I said least represented on its tour, I meant launch tour that coincided with the release, wasn’t counting festivals or warm ups, tours later in the year etc.

Aye remember them doing Underdogs in Germany and dropping it like a hot rock, which ties in nicely with the thread about why it was omitted from the reissue..

RTF, since the initial tour they’ve also done Running Out of Fantasy, saw that at Holy Bible Manchester.

The Futurology release and tour was just confusing, but you’re right about what’s been played in total so far and the way they brought stuff in for the Holy Bible shows, and the way different Know Your Enemy songs were brought in for the festivals, I’m hoping it might be a similar story if there’s a Truth tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
I was thinking more in terms of new songs per gig being around 6, rather than from a while tour. Just looking at the dates I did on all of those tours, that seems to be the case and that's a shame amongst 22 odd songs a show.
Course in the past you’d expect em to do the singles and the ones that will be singles. Indian Summer didn’t get many outings on the initial SATT tour but was pretty much a staple through festival season and winter tour eh. Singles are different now but they’ve still put four out and for them to put four out before the tour started, you’d probably expect those four for a start. Liverpool’s been dropped, not sure if it’ll come back. Can’t see em dropping People Give In or Hold Me Like A Heaven, struggling to see where space for owt besides those is gonna come from on this tour at least.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:01
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
Seven off Futurology that I saw live during that weird affair.

Walk Me To The Bridge
Europa Geht Durch Mich
Let's Go To War
Futurology
Between the Clock and the Bed
Dreaming a City (Hughesovka)
Divine Youth
Didn’t see it, but couple of View From Stow Hill too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
This is a classic case of diminishing returns. I won't go back and analyze each tour now, but the template for a long while has included 6 new songs per show (not per tour.) This tour seems to have 5, but of course we are now at the stage where the band have 12 other albums to choose songs from. I imagine there will be another tour later in the year where they'll do a few more?
Generally tends to happen that way doesn’t it? Just focusing on the album’s first tour though, wonder if by the end of the tour it’ll even be the most represented album on its own tour! It’s on 6, and EMG is on four..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I doubt they'll do more dates if this tour didn't sell out ?
Maybe not Resistance Is Futile, but if Truth ones happen maybe we’ll get songs that weren’t played first time round like we did with Futurology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
SATT worked because the venues were small/good/varied & it was a long tour which lasted over a month.

The 2nd leg in December was probably an overkill, I didn't enjoy the gig at Brixton.

This current LP is in the wrong place & its nothing special, the songs are average at best to me.
That winter SATT tour struck me as weird at the time too. I’d loved the smaller gigs I’d seen in the spring and on PPF tour, didn’t think they were an arena band again at the time mind. Still don’t, really.

Last edited by sculptureofabloke; 01-05-2018 at 08:02. Reason: Predictive text misplaced apostrophe twattery
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10
Winterlover

Even James played every single track off his solo album at one stage or another, not surprising considering he could have just augmented the setlist with covers and Manics songs, fair play to him for not doing too much of that!

They've apparently rehearsed seven songs from this album. We know it won't be Vivian, Sequels or Song For The Sadness (as Nicky told me) so there are a few other potential options. I'd put my money on it being In Eternity but not sure where they'd squeeze it in apart from the TBTGOG slot where Liverpool was before.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ