Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 17:47
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I know a few people who went to that and every one of them roughed it on a bench, how many benches were there?!
There are several benches in the bus station, and even more in the train station! I just drove home, happy
Old 11-12-2014, 18:28
Builder of routine

that must've been FREEZING
Old 11-12-2014, 20:06
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Bit like losing your virginity I suppose, only more important.
accurate post is accurate.
Old 11-12-2014, 20:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

It was this spring, in Oslo on May 9th 2014. I first heard of the Manics in 2006 because a woman on the led-zeppelin.com forums wouldn't shut up about them so I went and bought Forever Delayed and liked the hits obviously, and I bought SATT when it came the next year and I really liked that album. At this time they were just another band I listened to casually though, not one I obsessed about like I did with Led Zeppelin and Rush.

I barely heard of them releasing JFPL and did not know of Postcards and RTF at all until this year, until something clicked in April, I went to a Kurt Vile concert at Rockefeller in Oslo and saw they had a poster up for the Manics, and thought to myself that I should go, why not, good band.

Naturally, I had to prepare myself for the show and decided to dig into their discography, because I knew that going to a concert and not knowing half the songs is not fun at all. Doing this opened my eyes to the Manics for real, the lyrics and the way they meshed with the music were so brilliant that I couldn't believe it, how the hell had I missed this band?

The gig was brilliant, I was front row dead center in front of James, I think I came an hour before the doors opened and had hoped for third row or something, but only two girls in early 90's glam outfits had turned up before me and for the longest time there was (were?) only us three in the line... I must have overestimated the Manics' popularity here in Norway! The Kurt Vile show earlier had a pretty long line at the same point. I'm considering travelling to the UK in the summer if I can get my hands on a THB ticket, while I loved the show in Oslo seeing THB live would be amazing and once-in-a-lifetime for sure.

Since then I've been listening to and reading about the Manics so much it would embarass me if anyone in real life ever knew (I think a lot of you can relate!), so now I'm here after lurking for a while!
Old 11-12-2014, 20:29
Doors slowly closing

V2002. I lived in Stafford (for my sins! to go to uni) and day tickets came up for £25 or something. I'd never been able to see them before as I used to live in Wales (which is great for seeing MSP if you live in the north or the south of, but the middle gets very neglected by everyone).

Met up with a load of Staybeautifulers (or were they FDers), everyone came back to mine after and we sang as I attempted to play guitar. Found little bits of pink boa around my student house for weeks.

Good times.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 11-12-2014, 21:10
Footprint of history

Reading 94 was mine, I went home after the Manic's as I was pregnant and the heat was making me sick and the crowd frightened me a little
Old 11-12-2014, 21:29
Builder of routine

Wembley Arena forever delayed tour in 2002 ..Being made to wait in the rain even though the doors had been opened ages before, turning up halfway through Ian brown's set, a couple two rows in front snogging their way through Suicide is Painless, James telling us he was almost thrown out for smoking, and promptly lighting up on stage Don't remember anything of how the songs sounded but a very good time was had.

Didnt see them again till the hammersmith PPF tour. Winter 2007 was my first multi date tour. A grand total of 2…
Old 11-12-2014, 23:16
I live to fall asleep

My very first gig was at Brixton Academy during the Know Your Enemy tour. I think it was 30th March 2001.

I was 16, it was my second ever gig (the first was JJ72). I went with a friend after college, it was a pretty warm day. I remember sweating it out on a bus to Brixton stuck in traffic. We actually had seated tickets for upstairs - I didn't know what 'circle stalls' meant in the context of Birxton Academy. We begged the security guard to let us into the standing area - which we were successful at! I swear to this day, it was positive racism as the guard was black and so was my mate.

My Vitriol supported and I enjoyed them. I had bought their album a few weeks earlier and despite their critics, I still really like it.

We ended up in a fairly left of the centre area - more or less in front of JDB about 5-6 rows back. The mosh pit was mental and seeing all the crowdsurfers got me wondering what it'd be like - so during Motwon Junk I launched myself up onto the crowd. It's still one of the most incredible gig moments ever for me. My keys and wallet fell out of my pockets - there wasn't more than £10 in the wallet, but I as a college student at the time it felt like much more, plus I had to get new keys cut.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:08
Born to end

1992 or was it 1993? Can't remember. Gold Against The Soul tour. My parents drove me, bless 'em.
James had bleached blonde hair, Sean had shoulder length hair, Nicky was wearing a floral dress and Richey was wearing glasses with no lenses in them. I feel kinda old now lol.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03
Winterlover

Wolverhampton on the Past/Present/Future tour in 2005. It was perfect in every conceivable way. Still haven't bettered it. *eyes mist over, sighs*
Old 12-12-2014, 11:33
Winterlover

Second Manchester Apollo night on the Know Your Enemy tour, 28-03-01.

Felt such relief at the time as I'd had a real battle to see them; missed some chances in the late '90s due to being too young/money/parents not letting me go/all of these combined, plus I had food poisoning at the time and had to go back to Hull afterwards as I had to be up for school at 6:30 the following morning. I was actually sick in the crowd during Tolerate. Felt like a zombie the day after.

Still, it felt important and enjoyable at the time, and Yes got a then-rare airing, though I've been to many better ones since.

I've actually been to every Manchester gig since this one except the Foos support at the Etihad Stadium, and I did actually book a ticket for it, though thanks to the massive cunts who dealt with post in my student halls, I didn't get it on time. Ah well.

Edit: Just remembered something else that made it feel worthwhile, and that was the unbelievably tedious support from Elbow. Felt like an eternity watching their set.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 12-12-2014 at 12:19.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09
Bored out of my mind

Nottingham Arena 2002 when James donned a tiara! I was way up in the stands but enjoyed it all the same!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-12-2014, 12:54
Freed from the century

Southampton Guildhall, 2005.

I can remember being excited that there was a gig I could actually go to, near me, rather than one in a big arena that would have involved trains or lifts.

I've since gone back and listened to the bootleg of the show numerous times. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but it is one of the best setlists I've seen. I worked out this morning that next year's Guildhall and Cardiff Castle shows will be my 14th and 15th. It's been a good 10 years for me.
Old 12-12-2014, 13:08
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavidj View Post
Southampton Guildhall, 2005.
What an opener!
Old 12-12-2014, 16:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Some lovely stories!

Mine was them supporting Oasis at Knebworth in 1996. It was odd because it's the only time I've ever seen the band as a support act but somehow it was perfect because it was such a big 'event' gig and everyone was nuts and into it.