Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-07-2010, 12:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
just on that note

Beady Eye To Be Bigger Than Oasis

yeah, OK

top five to feature Joshua Tree, Stone Roses, OK Computer, Morning Glory, with the five being rounded out by a token American inclusion - great if it is a Springsteen, but most likely Nevermind.
Hey.....The Stone Roses was in my top 5.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorticist View Post
Hey.....The Stone Roses was in my top 5.
It's in a lot of people's top 5, for a very good reason - it's awesome.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
It's in a lot of people's top 5, for a very good reason - it's awesome.
The Stone Roses would probably be my #1 album of q's existance, possibly challenged by Pills N Thrills & Bellyaches and Screamadelica. The Joshua Tree, being the best pre-Papal Bono U2 album, would also be close to the top.

i didn't list those 5 to suggest they are rubbish or don't belong there (although i do hate Radiohead but appreciate i am not in a majority), it was intended as a comment about Q magazine lists being predictable. the intended readership of Q just isn't varied enough to throw any wildcard entries in, about 90% of their readers actually think any Sting album is a good album, in particular if it is a Christmas one.

although, now that i think on a bit, the token top five American inclusion will probably be Automatic For The People, won't it?
blog
Old 19-07-2010, 12:49

The Stone Roses, Definitely Maybe and OK Compuer will make up the top 3, not sure which order though
Old 19-07-2010, 12:52
Winterlover

Ah I subscribe to Q and I hate Sting! Lol. I might just be the exception to the rule!

And I think Nevermind will be in the Top 5 easily. I do love Radiohead but it would be nice to see something else win. The Holy Bible perhaps? I wish...

I've just worked out that The Queen is Dead is 1986, the year Q started - making my top 5 wrong... Sorry Morrissey!
Old 19-07-2010, 13:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Ah I subscribe to Q and I hate Sting! Lol. I might just be the exception to the rule!

not sure where the "might" comes into that. there was a time in the 90s where Sting hadn't done anything but all the same they had him on the cover or inside every second issue. and when it wasn't him, it was Phil Collins.

Quote:
I've just worked out that The Queen is Dead is 1986, the year Q started - making my top 5 wrong... Sorry Morrissey!
couldn't say without looking it up, but methinks Queen Is Dead was released before the era of Q, even if by a few months. if not, yeah, certainly deserves a high number of votes. which it won't get it Both Sides by Phil Collins is dangled in front of their average reader.
blog
Old 19-07-2010, 13:12

Well for my curve ball I included Weezer's "Pinkerton" in my top 5. Definitely one of the finest American albums to come out of the 90's (way better lyrically than Nirvana's "Nevermind" in my opinion anyways.)

Other than that the rest of it included THB, Loveless, The Stone Roses, and Origin of Symmetry.
Old 19-07-2010, 13:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorticist View Post
Well for my curve ball I included Weezer's "Pinkerton" in my top 5. Definitely one of the finest American albums to come out of the 90's (way better lyrically than Nirvana's "Nevermind" in my opinion anyways.).
Would love it if Pinkerton nipped in there. I toyed with the idea of putting United By Fate by Rival Schools in - love that album, and definitley rate it over Nevermind.
Old 19-07-2010, 13:45
Under neon loneliness

How on earth does Q manage to keep going? It has been just a magazine full of these pointless lists for almost ten years now. Well that and a U2/Radiohead fanzine. It was a great magazine when it started out full of decent sized interviews/articles. I used to buy it nearly every month yet never buy it now. I think the last time i bought it was when the Manics did the readers questions.
Old 19-07-2010, 13:53
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
How on earth does Q manage to keep going? It has been just a magazine full of these pointless lists for almost ten years now. Well that and a U2/Radiohead fanzine. It was a great magazine when it started out full of decent sized interviews/articles. I used to buy it nearly every month yet never buy it now. I think the last time i bought it was when the Manics did the readers questions.
Do they still have "The Rider" column in it? I used to like that, besides that there isn't much for me really. Might come back to this thread after the list is out with a top ten shocks, if there are enough.
Old 19-07-2010, 13:56
Under neon loneliness

I've no idea as i don't buy/read it but occassionally flick through it in WH Smith to see if there is anything worth reading. Which is rare.
Old 19-07-2010, 14:09
I live to fall asleep

I just bought it though only for the new Nicky pic, which I still haven't scanned in because I've been lazy/forgetful. To be honest I didn't even bother reading any of the rest of it...
Old 19-07-2010, 14:11
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Well I'm buying the next issue as I'm sure there was a tweet or something about a long Manics interview in the mag? Will they make the cover?
And will Q realise that their sales go up a bit when they put the Manics on the cover? (There is no scientific basis in that last sentence... but it are fact!)
Old 19-07-2010, 14:14
Winterlover

I doubt I'll bother voting. These lists always contain the same albums in a different order, and hardly any of them will be my favourites anyway. Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me, as they say.
Old 19-07-2010, 16:12
I live to fall asleep

i wish Q would do more actual journalism, rather than just making lists of things constantly.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER