Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01
Stretched out in the sun

Manics collecting stories

Wasn't sure whether to make a new thread out of this or to tie it in with the Show Your Collection thread. If I'm wrong, do what you will.

What's the most you've paid for a Manics release?
Ever paid over the odds for anything?
What's your best bargain?

I paid £55 for a Motown Junk cd about 5 years ago, but I consider that good value.

I paid about £30 for the God Save The Manics EP, probably around the same time. Didn't get the email about the SAE and I only made it to Derby and Wolverhampton on that tour..

I got the New Art Riot pink vinyl for £1 off eBay back in the day. Oh, and in summer I got all the Japanese reissues and a 2cd of Journal for £80.
Old 03-03-2010, 17:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

My collecting story is pretty simple. I had liked the Manics for years but didn't feel the need to start a collection until I tried to find the heavenly YLU cd. I called a great record store near my grandparents house in Sacramento that I suspected might have it. They had YLU and just about every other cd single (through the Holy Bible, the most recent cd at the time), GT pic disk cd and 12"s (except for Motown Junk). I bought them all over a period of time since this is California and there are so few Manics fans to compete with. It was a great way to build the collection. Obviously ebay has been the 2nd best way to collect. I just bought the Lipstick Traces 3 LP (in fuzzy cover) for $45, the 2nd most I've paid for a Manics item next to the $50 I spent on a mint copy of the Motown Junk $12. I have have found rare things in funny places. I once found a cassette promo for the Canadian Holy Bible on an obscure website that is long gone. They also had nice autographs and nothing from that store cost over $7. I bought all the Manics stuff. My best deal may be the God Save The Manics cd we all just bought.

Last edited by pcp; 03-03-2010 at 17:41.
Old 03-03-2010, 17:38
Doors slowly closing

LT 3lp in fuzzy cover $45, you lucky BLEEEEP!
Old 03-03-2010, 17:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
LT 3lp in fuzzy cover $45, you lucky BLEEEEP!
I was surprised too! What does it usually go for? I have been trying to find out. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 17:53
Doors slowly closing

i have seen some go for more than £90 on ebay!
Old 03-03-2010, 17:57
Administrator

Canadian HB for £6.50
Old 03-03-2010, 18:01
Builder of routine

I paid over 30 quid for the international transfer in my bank when I didn't have paypal, for NME Big Issue. the mag cost 4 quid. that was at the very beginning when I had noone to ask for. so that would be the most expensive.
I consider 22 quid for God Save The Manics as a very good price
I overslept the bidding of the book Forever Delayed and I hate myself for that.
the best was opening of Stay Beautiful. that was brilliant evening, I absolutely love that vinyl, it's one of the most beautiful items I ever had. and probably the best bargain - 2 quid, near mint. oh and Japanese promo of LT - 8 quid or less.
whole collection of Nicky's items - including rare German IKTZ promo - is my treasure.
Old 03-03-2010, 19:08
Doors slowly closing

£4 for New Art Riot EP (Re-release).

Also saw a Generation Terrorists cassette in Notting Hill for around 50p back in 2003/2004 but i never bought it. That must be really rare now.

Most i've ever paid for a Manics-related thing must be the Revol CD i bought in Notting Hill in 2001, priced at £21 which for a single with three live tracks is expensive! I didn't know about Soulseek back then, nor that the tracks were ruined by Richey being turned up!
Old 03-03-2010, 19:12
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
i have seen some go for more than £90 on ebay!
really? Blimey I might sell mine!

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 03-03-2010, 19:45
I live to fall asleep

Er...this is embarrassing but...this story applied until yesterday when, in a fit of joy, I bought myself the deluxe JFPL as a present.

So until yesterday, the most I had ever spent on the Manics was about $17. As a teenager I went to Newbury Comics or various tiny record shops in Harvard Square and bought the CDs there for very cheap (usually around $10-12).

The $17 came from last week when I bought a certain copy of Guitarist magazine for one ad that was in the front. I AM A SAD, SAD PERSON
Old 03-03-2010, 19:53
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I paid about £30 for the God Save The Manics EP, probably around the same time. Didn't get the email about the SAE and I only made it to Derby and Wolverhampton on that tour..
I'm pretty sorry to hear that
I was sent a copy by Chris (Milky Joe) for free as he attended two gigs and was very nice (thanks again...)
Old 03-03-2010, 20:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Canadian HB for £6.50
That's a piss take. I bid $100 for one on eBay over summer and got outbid! Was quite grateful to be honest, but at least the bid wasn't £...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
rare German IKTZ promo - is my treasure.
Seriously? As if that even exists! Silliest thing I've got is a Turkish cassette of Lifeblood.
Old 03-03-2010, 20:29
Builder of routine

Quote:
Seriously? As if that even exists! Silliest thing I've got is a Turkish cassette of Lifeblood.
aye! I've got quite few solo promos, inc. Japanese TGW promo - the pic of that on theloveof.tk is mine, yknow, the signed one I bought it for about 7 quid. and the IKTZ German promo cost 3 euros, my mate got it for me.
Old 03-03-2010, 20:35
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
aye! I've got quite few solo promos, inc. Japanese TGW promo - the pic of that on theloveof.tk is mine, yknow, the signed one I bought it for about 7 quid. and the IKTZ German promo cost 3 euros, my mate got it for me.
Oooh, I've got that TGW, too. Unsigned, mind. I've got a few Japanese cds that have that "sample loaned" thing in the middle
Old 03-03-2010, 20:54
Builder of routine

Quote:
Oooh, I've got that TGW, too. Unsigned, mind. I've got a few Japanese cds that have that "sample loaned" thing in the middle
in the middle? urgh
one of my JDB's promos has ugly promo sticker in the back (like they couldn't put a piece of paper inside), probably An English Gentleman, do you have it too?
I also received nice thing with Nicky's promos
http://i45.tinypic.com/2lt5840.jpg
I've heard the bits like that are pretty rare.