Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-01-2013, 13:00
Freed from the century

Good video footage re: love of Situationists?

A pal of mine is running a course on psychogeography, and on Monday will be covering the influence of the Situationists. I suggested she mention the Manix and she's taken me up on it, and asked for a good video clip - any suggestions?

Am also thinking she should cover other music/Situationist links like Malcolm Maclaren, if anyone has any thoughts on good video on that, too. Thanks a lot if you can help.
Old 24-01-2013, 13:07
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Maybeeeeeeeeee..... You Love Us? That music video is quite famous and it describes the Manics' art in some way.
Old 24-01-2013, 13:21
Freed from the century

No good for a video sorry but a lot of the lyrics for spectators of suicide (along with the title) are taken from situationist cartoons if that's of any help
Old 24-01-2013, 13:22
Winterlover

Maybe that one where they set fire to themselves on Top of the P... Wait, they never actually did that, did they?

Beyond the slogans they hold in videos like You Love Us and the spraypainting in Love's Sweet Exile, I can't really think of anything else.

Sorry I can't be of much help Good luck though, because as the first comment above suggests, I don't think there's really much in the way of clips of them 'being situationist'. A lot of it was just stuff said in interviews and the odd slogan.
Old 25-01-2013, 14:24
Freed from the century

Thanks a lot, all. Stuff said in interviews is what she wants though, I think, rather than a blast of tuneage, just struggling to think of a good example from the 10 million clips I must have seen. Surely Richey mumbled something about how Debord influenced them...