Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-06-2020, 17:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

What an amazing film. Just gorgeous!
Old 18-06-2020, 21:27
I live to fall asleep

Really enjoyed it.

You could argue that this was the best period for the band look wise: Richey's best era for me, JDB's blond experiment, Sean's long flowing mane, Wire's dresses.

Gonna go watch this again then listen to the remasters now full blast on YouTube.
Old 18-06-2020, 21:44
Knowlede Is Power

I enjoyed it could feel the love for them from the audience's over there

Chelsmford V99
Reading + Leeds 2001
Manchester Apollo 2001
Manchester MEN (Hits)2002
Manchester MEN 2004
Preston guildhall 2005
Winter WonderLand 2006
Gmex 2007
Blackburn St George 2010
Ritz Manchester 2014
Cardiff Castle 2015
SWANSEA LIBERTY 2016
Times Square 2017
Manchester arena 2018
Halifax Piece Hall 2021

Old 19-06-2020, 14:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1985 View Post
I enjoyed it could feel the love for them from the audience's over there
Indeed. I thought the narration was lovely and really enhanced the film. I'm sure some of the things spoken we have all felt at some point at Manics gigs. Particularly when we first discovered them, whenever that was.

Since I had nowt better to do on my day off, I transcribed the narration:

Pieces of Sleep Narration

I sleep less now.

Time feels more important to hold onto these days.

I’m sure you feel the same.

One day I took a train. I remember pressing my face against the train window as the landscape came and went in front of me. My vision was still blurry but i was convinced that a new world was unfolding before my eyes.

Every night we went on a new adventure. Losing ourselves in the music, in the performance and the moment. I remember those nights like they were yesterday. I remember how we lost ourselves in the hours and minuses and the seconds. The truth is, we were all probably a little bit confused or anxious. We were still very young.

Osaka. Fukuoka. Hiroshima. Tokyo. Nagoya. Sendai. Sapporo.

Throughout those journeys my senses slowly sharpened. I remember the fragments of conversations with strangers. I remember the books I found and the art i discovered. I remember that we all wanted to feel something more than love.

I still watch the old clips of them many times, that I recorded on to my old VHS tapes. These days, I hesitate a little to press the play button. I always think that this might be the last time I would see their phantom-like images on the stretched and damaged tape. The colours are fading and the images are scratched and scarred and yet, they are still there, young, engaging, rebellious and full of life.

I’ll never forget the excitement of arriving in a new city. The bright colours of the streets. Flashing neon signs. the scent of food from the street stalls. Music blaring out of the overflowing bars. do you remember how we all looked at the little map of the crowded subway trying to find out where the venue was? I miss this moments. i’m sure you do too.

Amidst all that noise, the voices of countless minds rose into the air. In that moment we surrendered to the cheers and screams that surrounded us. It swallowed us up. It all happened in an instant and we became a big wave.

And then the final concert was over.

In the cool night are, steam rose from my body. My thoughts shut down and I found myself unable to speak. Lost in dreaming. I slowly recovered my breath. we kept talking to each other until a new morning came again and then we slowly returned to our normal lines.

As I sit here now and contemplate that time I wish I could lose myself in those memories again. The yearning to feel the way we felt never leaves. As the days, months and years have passed, those memories have begun to fade. Instead there is a sadness that cloaks me daily, knowing these feelings will never return.

I wish I could clasp them in my hand, That’s all I would want.

I miss those moments.

I’m sure you do too.

Thankfully they still inhabit my dreams. In between the pieces of sleep that were the times of our lives.
Old 19-06-2020, 14:42
Born to end

That was lovely. I thought the narrative worked well.
Old 19-06-2020, 20:51
Winterlover

I enjoyed it for the footage we haven't seen before and shots of the japanese fans completely lost in the music, which was great.
Doesn't outstay its welcome either being just shy of 38 minutes.
I quite liked the narrative, it combines nicely with the low-fi look of the poor quality VHS to give it the feel of a faded memory.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 20-06-2020, 05:28
Bored of being bored

I enjoyed it, too
Old 20-06-2020, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Really enjoyed it.

You could argue that this was the best period for the band look wise: Richey's best era for me, JDB's blond experiment, Sean's long flowing mane, Wire's dresses.

Gonna go watch this again then listen to the remasters now full blast on YouTube.
If I (found) and wore a pale pink beret I would look like a tosser. If you wore a pale pink beret you might look better than me, but you would still look like a tosser. Richey Edwards wore a pale pink beret and looked as cool as fuck.

Best era for James image wise too. They were just rock pigs during this era and I loved it all.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:45

I love the fact they are also amazing musicians and writers from the beginning. I love watching how they performed in the 90s, their clothes and that it seems they wore the hats at different times, as James also wore the beret before and has only worn the dreadlock stocking on the film? It seems Richey wore the bowler during the tour and Sean a turban beanie from GT which James had also worn.Though I like that Nicky wears his own bucket hat and welsh bonnet. Rock gods.
Old 20-06-2020, 19:11
Doors slowly closing

I liked it very much, but I was a bit distracted while (trying to) watch it, need to give it another viewing soon.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 22-06-2020, 10:23
Freed from the century

I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. I enjoyed the narration too.
Old 27-06-2020, 21:12
Winterlover

I think this was my fav of the online films. And although it is highly focused on the GATS era (one that many of us were too young for,) it was a powerful reminder of the kind of memories the band has created since then, whatever era you discovered them in.