Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-09-2021, 17:36
Builder of routine

RTF tour was when I got photos with band members and autographs and got to shake James's hand (no broken bones) saw Nicky's jacket close up and met some nice fans and got on a few barriers ....so one of my faves and the album is lovely

PFAYM tour was when James got laryngitis and all my gigs got cancelled so meh
Old 09-10-2021, 16:39
Bored of being bored

I wonder how many of the Sean Moore: The Beat of the Band t-shirts have been sold during the current tour. I've got to admit I haven't noticed any in the crowds of the gigs I've been to...
Old 09-10-2021, 16:41
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
I wonder how many of the Sean Moore: The Beat of the Band t-shirts have been sold during the current tour. I've got to admit I haven't noticed any in the crowds of the gigs I've been to...
I am aware of... two. I was going to buy one myself at one of my final dates, but couldn't find the merch stall on my way out of the venue, found myself outside by accident, and decided to go find a cheeseburger instead
Old 10-10-2021, 22:51
I live to fall asleep

Not sure where best to post this but here will do. So when I saw the band in Halifax I got bollocked by the jobsworth security for jumping about too much at the front, which puzzled, annoyed and ruined my night as I didn't dare jump after been shouted at to stop (despite a few fans having my back and saying ignore them, enjoy myself). Anyway, I've watched a few videos from recent gigs and I see the moronic jobsworth security having a go at people for jumping about or girls getting on people's shoulders... people do this at music events, always have done! Do they expect people to stand like statues at a rock gig? What's happened to the world?? Pisses me off.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:47
Builder of routine

Personally I'm not a fan of people on shoulders unless it's a child ...blocks the view for people behind - also a bit of a health hazard if they were to fall off. As far as I'm aware they don't usually allow it in indoor venues.

I do agree with you on the rest of your post. I've never seen security have a go at someone for jumping up and down unless they were being particularly aggressive ? Bloke using a girl as a wall?

Maybe that Halifax venue isn't used to rock gigs?
Old 12-10-2021, 09:12
Builder of routine

I'm failing at the every manics song poll on twitter. Keep voting for the least popular song. Cardiff afterlife is better than send away the Tigers. What's wrong with people ?
Old 12-10-2021, 15:37
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I'm failing at the every manics song poll on twitter. Keep voting for the least popular song. Cardiff afterlife is better than send away the Tigers. What's wrong with people ?
1404 should be winning everything!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-10-2021, 16:20
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I like to predict the percentage of the vote each song is going to get. I don't mean to brag or suggest that Manics fans are predictable but I normally guess correctly within 5% or so.
Old 12-10-2021, 16:27
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
1404 should be winning everything!
So why so sad kept winning ....shit song !
Voted for sepia over something - can't remember now - and it was losing ....

Some B- sides do badly probably cos a lot don't remember them. I've forgotten most cos they're all on my iPod - have a ton of playlists on there I don't listen to anymore since Spotify

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
I like to predict the percentage of the vote each song is going to get. I don't mean to brag or suggest that Manics fans are predictable but I normally guess correctly within 5% or so.
show off

Last edited by hummingbird; 12-10-2021 at 18:26.
Old 13-10-2021, 20:39
Doors slowly closing

It took four albums for me to figure it out but Chvrches totally have a spiritual successor to Lifeblood vibe to a lot of what they do.

California off their latest is like visiting a parallel 2007 where the Manics didn’t take two steps back.

https://youtu.be/ixhWUXZJsDw
Old 13-10-2021, 20:56
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
It took four albums for me to figure it out but Chvrches totally have a spiritual successor to Lifeblood vibe to a lot of what they do.

California off their latest is like visiting a parallel 2007 where the Manics didn’t take two steps back.

https://youtu.be/ixhWUXZJsDw
Yeah I hear it. Very TUVL too
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 17-10-2021, 22:51
Knowlede Is Power

Stupid question, but how do people read "227 lears, and I can't remember the first line"? I've never understood what "lears" means in this context, or the significance of 227.
Old 17-10-2021, 22:56
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Stupid question, but how do people read "227 lears, and I can't remember the first line"? I've never understood what "lears" means in this context, or the significance of 227.
I don't know the name of the sampled actor, but it's a nightmare about performing 227 performances of King Lear and "can't remember the first line".
So I read anyway. Might be the Simon Price book. Or that 33&1/3 book.
Old 17-10-2021, 23:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I don't know the name of the sampled actor, but it's a nightmare about performing 227 performances of King Lear and "can't remember the first line".
So I read anyway. Might be the Simon Price book. Or that 33&1/3 book.
Albert Finney was the actor. Quote is from a film called The Dresser according to wiki.
In the context of the song might have something to do with talkof some of Shakespeare's plays not being politically correct - random comment somwhere
Old 18-10-2021, 08:38
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
No significance to 227 - the actor happens to have performed King Lear 227 times and though they can remember that, they can't remember the first line.

I don't feel it is inherently significant to PCP - for me it relates to the very end of the album. It is an expression of feeling old, worn out, overplayed, of "doing the thing" so much you lose the reason for doing it. It is basically just a really great audio quote to end a huge, all-encompassing album on.