Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-10-2021, 07:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Oh my god
Don't panic, the 20th anniversary edition is coming, Nicky more or less confirms it in the new Record Collector Manics Special magazine. The band appear to have made peace with that album now. What will always hurt / never leave them is the lack of sales, how it commercially was a complete disaster.

Last edited by robg1979; 18-10-2021 at 07:31.
Old 18-10-2021, 08:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg1979 View Post
Don't panic, the 20th anniversary edition is coming, Nicky more or less confirms it in the new Record Collector Manics Special magazine. The band appear to have made peace with that album now. What will always hurt / never leave them is the lack of sales, how it commercially was a complete disaster.
S'ok already have one £77 is probably closer to the truth than the £200 in RC

Looking forward to that reissue !
Old 18-10-2021, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg1979 View Post
What will always hurt / never leave them is the lack of sales, how it commercially was a complete disaster.
I agree, and it must have been quite a dark time for them. My theory is that Lifeblood's commercial performance was in many ways paved by what went before it. In the same way TIMTTMY did so well because of EMG (notwithstanding TIMTTMY is a strong album), Lifeblood failed because of KYE. Add to this a weird Greatest Hits promoted by TBTGOG and, to a lesser extent, the potentially alienating LT (unlike The Killers' 'Sawdust', it really did not make the best of their B-sides). Then, just to make sure, roll out Nixon as your first single, and it's a recipe for (commercial) disaster. The album itself was failed by the 3 and a half years leading up to it.
Old 18-10-2021, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous Disaster View Post
I agree, and it must have been quite a dark time for them. My theory is that Lifeblood's commercial performance was in many ways paved by what went before it. In the same way TIMTTMY did so well because of EMG (notwithstanding TIMTTMY is a strong album), Lifeblood failed because of KYE. Add to this a weird Greatest Hits promoted by TBTGOG and, to a lesser extent, the potentially alienating LT (unlike The Killers' 'Sawdust', it really did not make the best of their B-sides). Then, just to make sure, roll out Nixon as your first single, and it's a recipe for (commercial) disaster. The album itself was failed by the 3 and a half years leading up to it.
I agree. At the time I loved TBTGOG though (still do). Is it generally considered to be terrible by the hardcore?

Nixon definitely was the nail in the coffin, I had no hope for Lifeblood at all, was the first Manics album I didn't buy on release day. Almost begrudgingly bought it the following weekend, then was floored by the fact that it was absolutely amazing. I thank Nixon for that!

In general experience (not even with the manics) I've found that a strong lead single has hardly ever proven to be an accurate album indicator. My hopes have been dashed more times than I care to mention.

Was definitely the opposite for Lifeblood!

Last edited by robg1979; 18-10-2021 at 11:10.
Old 18-10-2021, 11:17

I love TBTGOG too - and loved that little cardboard sleeve they gave away to house the singles in. But to use Nicky's language, I think it struggled to connect outside the hardcore fan base. When I heard Forever Delayed, I couldn't get my head around why they hadn't released that instead for so many reasons!
Old 18-10-2021, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous Disaster View Post
I love TBTGOG too - and loved that little cardboard sleeve they gave away to house the singles in. But to use Nicky's language, I think it struggled to connect outside the hardcore fan base. When I heard Forever Delayed, I couldn't get my head around why they hadn't released that instead for so many reasons!
Absolutely, or even released it to promote Lipstick Traces at the very least. The mind boggles!
Old 18-10-2021, 15:29

Forever Delayed and Automatik Teknicolour are two classic sounding Manics singles from that era, and they put out TBTGOG instead. It's pretty baffling. I love TBTGOG most of the three, but it's really not single material.
Then again, neither was The Everlasting.
Old 18-10-2021, 15:51
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
Then again, neither was The Everlasting.
This is a good point, I aleays thought the follow up to Tolerate should have been YSTSFMH, then Tsunami, amd either Ready For Drowning or Nobody Loved You as the final single.
Old 20-10-2021, 14:05

Yeah, that's an ideal run. The Everlasting was a bizarre choice in the first place, and then it being utterly neutered by its radio edit removed any remaining potential it had.
Old 18-11-2021, 21:25
Desire on its knees

Location: Back home at the Edge of the Earth AKA Deepest Darkest East Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
Yeah, far as I can tell there are only six studio tracks:

Fear of Motion
Time Ain't Nothing
The Passing Show
T.E. Lawrence On A Bike
What Happened to the Blue Generation
Endless Plain of Fortune

I wonder if we will get any anniversary versions of later albums. JFPL is a vague possibility, but with only the Japanese bonus tracks as potential new material the only other way I can imagine them doing it would be by adding the remix album. I'd grab it, but it's not the most exciting opportunity. PFAYM would be vastly improved by having a b-sides disc, I'd probably pick it off the shelf more than once every three years then.
An anniversary edition of JFPL would be amazing, like you said with maybe the remix album, and one of the whole album live gigs audio &/or video and also a lovely ‘scrap book’ a la PFAYM Deluxe shoebox edition, with Richey’s notes/journal expanded from the 2cd original JFPL release would be incredible- at least to me it would... we can but hope, I guess the next chance for it now would be 2029, so a good while off yet..!!! Here’s hoping though! 😂🤞
24/6/94 - Glastonbury Festival, 20/12/94 - London Apollo,21/10/96 - Exeter University, 19/12/98 - Exeter Westpoint Arena, 31/12/99-1/1/00 - Manic Millennium, 27/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 28/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 25/8/01 - Reading Festival, 14/12/02 - Plymouth Pavillions, 15/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 16/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 4/12/04 - Brighton Centre, 10/12/04 - Plymouth Pavillions, 11/01/05 - Cardiff International Arena, 22/01/05 - Cardiff Millennium Stadium (Tsunami Benefit Gig), 11/5/07 - Cardiff University, 12/5/07 - Cardiff University, 3/6/07 - Truro Hall for Cornwall, 21/8/08 - Newport Centre, 01/6/09 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 22/10/10 - Bournemouth Academy.