Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-08-2009, 18:49
Bored out of my mind

Now Dean, they're hardly a redundant live band!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-08-2009, 18:52
Stretched out in the sun

They are to me, no variation in song styles, a greatest hits tour band who charge the same prices for the usual big bands (albeit many bands can be to blame for this), who really don't have the energy live anymore. That's just my opinion though.

Just so people know I'm not a MSP hater now, I love JFPL (I practically came over it when writing my RYM review), but yeah, they're a band in a comfort zone live and I can't bare to see them again as it'll be boring.

This has happened to other bands I love too, the Manics are just one of the few bands who've been together long enough to make me want to smack them with a guitar for it

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 18-08-2009, 18:55
Bored out of my mind

There is variation in song styles though. Well to me there is and the gig at Wolves this year was bursting with energy!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-08-2009, 18:59
Bored out of my mind

Tolerate is too fast and beefed up live for my liking. It's not meant to be an all out rock number.

TLORN really didn't work live either.
Old 18-08-2009, 18:59
Stretched out in the sun

AH yeah I phrased that wrong, I mean in that every song they've played for years has the same structure it did upon release, barring the introduction of Motorcycle Emptiness.

I'm not a fan who wants tons of b-sides, tons of obscure acoustic tracks or anything but DAMN, some of Lifeblood/KYE wouldn't go amiss.

ACTUALLY, thumbs up to the boys for Sorrow 16 lately, that has had energy.

Old 18-08-2009, 19:04
Bored out of my mind

I want some Lifeblood and KYE too! (Wish I'd gone to gigs for those albums now!)
Old 18-08-2009, 19:06
I live to fall asleep

Yeah, tolerate's my favourite single too
Though i did love JCEQT live.

The JFPL tour had to have the hits, because such a large percentage was new material. If they hadnt played the whole album, then yeah, theres more scope for more curios, but because a majority of the audience had probably not heard the new album, then they had to play some hits to keep the casuals happy.
We'll wait for the next tour. If the setlist is as predictable, then there is a right to complain, but i personally think that for this tour, it was neccesary to play so many hits.

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 18-08-2009, 19:09
Bored out of my mind

Brace yourselves people! We might get something......................................... .....different!
Old 18-08-2009, 19:17
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafetti View Post
Yeah, tolerate's my favourite single too
Though i did love JCEQT live.

The JFPL tour had to have the hits, because such a large percentage was new material. If they hadnt played the whole album, then yeah, theres more scope for more curios, but because a majority of the audience had probably not heard the new album, then they had to play some hits to keep the casuals happy.
We'll wait for the next tour. If the setlist is as predictable, then there is a right to complain, but i personally think that for this tour, it was neccesary to play so many hits.
I agree with that really, but it's been the same set list with some additions since 1999 like. Even the PPF tour (which I did LOVE) had issues with that.

I think the big issue with the JFPL songs is that some aren't live tracks as such (Doors Slowly Closing for example) so that doesn't help with the lack of energy point.

Old 18-08-2009, 19:18
Bored out of my mind

Don't know why people expect every single song to be the energetic ones. Nothing wrong with pacing yourself a bit. Plenty of other bands mix faster songs with slowies!
Old 18-08-2009, 19:31
I live to fall asleep

Yeah, but the problem is when the fast ones lack the energy...

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 18-08-2009, 19:37
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
I would agree Masses and Tolerate, but I do feel cheated when Masses is on the set list. I've hated EMG live for a long time now but actually it popped up on shuffle on the ipod the other day and I think I enjoyed it more on record. It always seems about 3 months long when played live.

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 18-08-2009, 19:48
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafetti View Post
Yeah, but the problem is when the fast ones lack the energy...
I beg to differ!
Old 18-08-2009, 19:57
I live to fall asleep

I'm never disappointed with anything I've seen live at all. Masses sometimes seems to lack any real energy. I often say it, but the best performance ever was at the Millenium gig, when I saw that when I bought it on VHS for the first time I was blown away!
Tolerate is usually brilliant, but sometimes it's done a bit fast.
Oh, Everything Must Go gets weaker and weaker liveas time goes on.
Old 18-08-2009, 20:04
Bored out of my mind

Everything Must Go - maybe they're just not that into it?