Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-12-2013, 16:09
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Sorry, you went to a manics gig around the time your daughter had suffered this ordeal? I am sorry to come across as judgemental but I am a father to a beautiful 2 year old girl. Your post hit a nerve. I would not be concerned about a manics gig if it had been me.
Me and my daughter are very close and had spent the few weeks before the gig together all the time. She doesn't live with me full time but had spent most of the time at mine. On the night of the show she was spending the night at her pals house, it was beneficial she tried to get some sort of normality back in her life and she knew I was only ever a phone call away at ANY time day or night.
I live alone so sitting in on my own was my other option and believe me when I say it was a real struggle to actually go to the gig.
The strength that returned to me that night benefitted both not only me but my daughter as well.

Trust me my friend when I tell you that no matter how many times you will play scenarios over and over in your head as your daughter grows up and how you will deal with them if they happen NOTHING can prepare you for it if it does come to your door.

I wish your daughter peace in her life!
Old 12-12-2013, 16:16
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Me and my daughter are very close and had spent the few weeks before the gig together all the time. She doesn't live with me full time but had spent most of the time at mine. On the night of the show she was spending the night at her pals house, it was beneficial she tried to get some sort of normality back in her life and she knew I was only ever a phone call away at ANY time day or night.
I live alone so sitting in on my own was my other option and believe me when I say it was a real struggle to actually go to the gig.
The strength that returned to me that night benefitted both not only me but my daughter as well.

Trust me my friend when I tell you that no matter how many times you will play scenarios over and over in your head as your daughter grows up and how you will deal with them if they happen NOTHING can prepare you for it if it does come to your door.

I wish your daughter peace in her life!
My post was unncessessary. I am sorry.
Old 12-12-2013, 16:18
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
My post was unncessessary. I am sorry.
Hey mate it's cool.
Old 13-12-2013, 07:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
It means a great deal to me and marks a very traumatic time in my families life but the album and the show in Glasgow where a bright light for me. Round about the time of the show in Glasgow my 22 year old daughter was r*ped after having her drink spiked at a party. I went to the Manics show with a heavy heart & as soon as they took the stage and played the 1st chord of motorcycle I broke down but through the show I could feel a strength come back to me. I had listened to RTF a lot in the time leading up to the gig and every time I do now I feel that strength in me. It will always be special to me. I'm not a new fan btw but this album and that show will always be special to me.
I think as a forum we should feel privileged to have read that Sarge. I wish you and your family all the best and a much better 2014.

People are sometimes flippant about how much an album, or a gig, or a book or a film can mean to people. But I think almost all art, however generally deemed 'successful' or otherwise, comes from some kind of human expression of something, and when that connects with another human's feelings and thoughts it can be incredibly powerful at the best of times, never mind the worst. For me, the Manics have always had a particularly amazing knack of combining misery and joy, a sense of simultaneous melancholia and triumph that can make one feel like carrying on despite whatever the world throws at you without denying or ignoring just how horrible and painful life can be.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 13-12-2013, 08:30
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Yes, just this morning. Didn't distract myself. Listened to it properly.
Old 13-12-2013, 09:59
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Hey mate it's cool.
It isn't really. I should not have made a judgement. It was wrong and for that I am sorry. Don't let my tone spoil your enjoyment of this forum as it is a very nice place.
Old 13-12-2013, 10:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I think as a forum we should feel privileged to have read that Sarge. I wish you and your family all the best and a much better 2014.

People are sometimes flippant about how much an album, or a gig, or a book or a film can mean to people. But I think almost all art, however generally deemed 'successful' or otherwise, comes from some kind of human expression of something, and when that connects with another human's feelings and thoughts it can be incredibly powerful at the best of times, never mind the worst. For me, the Manics have always had a particularly amazing knack of combining misery and joy, a sense of simultaneous melancholia and triumph that can make one feel like carrying on despite whatever the world throws at you without denying or ignoring just how horrible and painful life can be.
What Porco said.

I definitely associate certain music with certain times of my life, and it can still have quite a powerful effect on me. I also wish you and your family the best in 2014

Going back to the title of this thread, I’m listening to it now. So yes, I still listen to it.
Old 13-12-2013, 20:49
Builder of routine

I now no longer listen to RTF in the bathroom. But it's that and JFPL all of the Manics I've played today.
Old 15-12-2013, 01:47
Born to end

Thank you folks for the good wishes, 2013 will get a kick in the behind & a one fingered gesture as it leaves.
AK47 your 1st apology was more than enough.
Hurry up 2014 your wanted (especially April)
Old 10-01-2014, 21:26
I live to fall asleep

Listening to it now.

Actually, to add;

I love the starkness and honesty of 'This Sullen Welsh Heart'. The swooping melancholia of 'Rewind The Film'. The perfectly aimed fury of '30-Year War'. The gospel beauty of 'As Holy As The Soil'. The guitar solo that links the '3 Ways To See Despair'. The fact that 'Anthem For A Lost Cause' really is. And the rest of the songs are good too - not one I dislike. And I love the brass sound that warms the coldest of tracks.

Last edited by Phil C; 10-01-2014 at 21:51.
Old 11-02-2014, 16:48
A self-made vacuum

I listened to it on the weekend and found a few more quirky bits I really like. I think the manics succeeded in an attempt at a stripped back album but I would have dropped SMTW and 30YW from it and put them on Futurolgy.
Old 11-02-2014, 19:20
Doors slowly closing

The greatness of it all still hasn't worn off for me, admittedly listen to it less but it's the same with every album i adore. Still up there with the best.
Old 20-02-2014, 17:54
I live to fall asleep

Listening to it atm. And it's brilliant. Depressive but good.
Old 20-02-2014, 23:01
Builder of routine

Still listening and loving it, but now more interested in the full on at least guitar songs stockpiled. And I love the idea that they are two records and not a double album.
Listening to the RTF part at least has made me wish KYE had gone the route of two different style albums. And in doing so, has boosted my love for KYE.
But I'm still sticking with listening to RTF. SMTW and all.
Old 21-02-2014, 13:44
A self-made vacuum

I'd rate RTF in this order of preference:

ROOF - 9/10 - Heartbreaking melody, gorgeous vocals and fantastic lyrics
BOR - 8/10 - I love the simplicity of the music and depth of the words
3WTSD - 8/10 - Great song even if the John Lennon line feels forced
IMTTS - 8/10 - Beautiful from start to finish
TSWH - 7/10 - Beautiful lyrics, simplistic melody but two stunning vocals
SMTW - 7/10 - Uplifting music, great lyrics but the chorus feels a bit too obvious Manics.
30YW - 7/10 - The music is fantastic but it really feels odd as a track for RTF. I think lyrically it could have been so much more.
AHATSTBYS - 7/10 - Lovely vocal from Nicky, great use of genre for the music. Great lyrics
M - 6/10 - Not a favourite but rarely listened to. I don't think albums need instrumentals.
RTF - 5/10 - Loved it originally but I can't listen to it now. It's too long, repetitive and the Hawley vocal grates on me.
4LR - Awful song. I hate the vocal, hate the fact the lyrics are hard to make out and hate the fact it sounds like a poor b-side.