Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-07-2015, 20:15
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude View Post
Oh, I'm busted. Please don't ban me from the forum. I like it here.

Anyway, I went two nights, Monday on my own and Tuesday with a friend and my brother. We somehow took the front barrier centre. On the first night, since I was alone, I happily pulled out a book to read during the final 2 hour wait ('Lipstick Traces' as recommended by The Wire it so happens). People were actually laughing at me and taking photos of me reading on the barrier. That was the caliber of the crowd at these shows. Somehow I don't think that would happen at a Manics gig...
they were in awe that u went to a gig on your own. They're too chicken-shit to do the same.

I wouldn't've guessed U2... don't like em
Old 10-07-2015, 00:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude View Post
Oh, I'm busted. Please don't ban me from the forum. I like it here.

Anyway, I went two nights, Monday on my own and Tuesday with a friend and my brother. We somehow took the front barrier centre. On the first night, since I was alone, I happily pulled out a book to read during the final 2 hour wait ('Lipstick Traces' as recommended by The Wire it so happens). People were actually laughing at me and taking photos of me reading on the barrier. That was the caliber of the crowd at these shows. Somehow I don't think that would happen at a Manics gig...
I'm pretty sure JDB just lately said somewhere that he listens to U2? So there's no way you can get banned here for liking them. I'm with you when it comes to the early years, but I do like to pretend that they were abducted by Aliens just after Achtung Baby.
And regarding the other folks at the gig, the joke was clearly on them. Take "Nausea" by Satre with you next time - L'enfer, c'est les autres.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 10-07-2015, 08:36
I am purity, they call me perverted

U2 are one of my favourite bands I love their music and I like Bono I think he does quite a bit for humanity and he gets criticised for not doing everything. I'd love to see U2 in London, but my boyfriend doesn't like them much. I like their early and recent songs and I play them randomly with other bands and I really like Bono's lyrics I don't post at the U2 forum but I entered a competition on news page in 2012 to say my favourite lines in a song. I did a poetic line that I love Stay as when they played Roundhay Park in the 90's my brother went and I only heard them rock and resonating to the stars outside the park.: ) Mine was chosen and was printed on their news page. I hope Bono read it. I have to say i've been to a couple of James concerts on my own and I haven't actually told my boyfriend, as we usually stand far back at concerts and I want to be nearer, James fans are ok standing in corners and relaxed and the atmosphere is good. I think it's a good thing for women to go to concerts on their own and I do quite a few different things on my own. Also manic related one of Richey's favourite songs is Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Old 11-07-2015, 12:55
Knowlede Is Power

U2 have produced some real rubbish but there are definite gems in there too. I've seen them live a few times including Slane 2001 where I paid well over the odds for a ticket after it sold out. That was a great gig.
Old 11-07-2015, 17:21

Oh, you are all very kind to me re: my confession. It is hard to forsake your first band love even when you watch them slide from 'ZooTV sex and iconography' status to 'forced boring album download' status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
they were in awe that u went to a gig on your own. They're too chicken-shit to do the same.
I often go to gigs alone. Actually I do almost everything alone, hence my user name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
I'm pretty sure JDB just lately said somewhere that he listens to U2? So there's no way you can get banned here for liking them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
Also manic related one of Richey's favourite songs is Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Yes, I did read where Richey said that although he didn't respect U2, "Achtung Baby" was good and very emotional, "Wild Horses" in particular. And Nicky praised "The Unforgettable Fire" in that 'convo with Noel Gallagher' thing and also mentioned it on Twitter if I recall correctly. Here, JDB praises "War" - good taste! That is a terrific album, one of my all-time favourites too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
U2 have produced some real rubbish but there are definite gems in there too. I've seen them live a few times including Slane 2001 where I paid well over the odds for a ticket after it sold out. That was a great gig.
Yes, we are on the same wavelength. I'm sure Slane was very special.

On the whole, I will say that the Manics' themes of atheism, solitide and melancholy suit me about a thousandfold better than U2's themes of faith, love and positivity.
Old 13-07-2015, 16:39

Not sure why it's not quoting, but that is an interesting article from JDB. It's nice to read an opinion from artists like JDB on other bands songs and I agree U2's undeniably amazing songs. I also love the positive and negative elements, though perhaps U2 should've just released songs of Innocence as a normal album like JDB said it deserved better and if they'd given the proceeds perhaps to the Red Cross instead of itunes. I also think an actual album is better though I understand the musician creativity deserves more than the media controls.
Old 16-07-2015, 21:26

There's a good amount of post-TIMTTMY material from MSP that remind me a lot of U2, especially stuff from Lifeblood.
Old 17-07-2015, 02:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
especially stuff from Lifeblood.
I thought that was the main reason why they pretty much disowned that album...

...although LB is far superior to all post-1993 U2 releases IMHO!
Old 18-07-2015, 14:05
Knowlede Is Power

I'm really into this new band, Heyrocco, and I watched the video for their song 'Mom Jeans' (not their best song, try Melt or Loser Denial.

Anyway, the lead singer channels Richey. Not sure if he knows of the Manics, but he sure got the hair and leopard print coat right.

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 19-07-2015, 19:15
Born to end

You love him
You love him more than this
You love him and you cannot, you can't resist
You love him
You love him for yourself

I thought once the guy from Dandy Warhols channels Richey. Though do you need to be d(isapp)ea(re)d to be channeled? Like the Mansun guitarist and Brian Jones.
Old 20-07-2015, 07:32
I live to fall asleep

I just realized that Donkeys is such an amazing song. James put so much soul in it

<3

I need to listen to Lipsticks Traces more often
Old 21-07-2015, 17:53
Bored of being bored

Ooh, the photo at the top of FD has changed.
Old 21-07-2015, 19:57
Freed from the century

Has it? Hasn't for me, on the default theme.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 21-07-2015, 20:44
Bored of being bored

Yes, it has for me.

Edit: Weird, it's the same as before now.

Last edited by Strawberry; 22-07-2015 at 08:38.
Old 22-07-2015, 11:08
Freed from the century

Brief change, perhaps? Glitch, maybe?

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song