Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 10:59
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ata View Post
Taken out of its context, why not.

The whole quote is :

So, different meaning imo.
I believe it was referring to themselves - starting out as rebels/outsiders and then becoming 'establishment' at the time of TIMT.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!
You know it's "I", right?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 06-02-2018, 19:55
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
You know it's "I", right?
Of course.

For some reason I remember the music as 'oh' though. (Specifically the vowel sound in 'cot', so not really 'oh' either.)

It made sense at the time.
Old 07-02-2018, 00:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Very rarely listen to Masses with it not being on a standard studio album. Grabbed one of me copies of Know Your Enemy to stick on, ended up being the Australian one with it on and hearing it now has reminded me of how I felt first time hearing it.

Is it just me or is that "A slave begins be demanding justice, ends by wanting to wear a crown" line a bit Daily Mail? I know it's Camus, but they've used it to end a song called The Masses Against The Classes. Today, it makes me think of some of the attitudes people have towards victims. We read it all with Yewtree, we're seeing it with Weinstein etc, alleged victims are only coming forward for the attention. The victim is undermined to the extent that people are more focussed on their motives for coming forward now (why not then?), than on what the alleged perpetrators are supposed to have done. Do the survivors of Grenfell, the families of Hillsborough etc deserve compensation? - fine, we'll accept responsibility, but don't push it.

"A slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown" is something I could imagine Katie Hopkins saying, if she were eloquent enough.
I hope it is just you that can compare Camus to Katie Hopkins! Wtf. Ha.

I tried to quote ata but the quote within the quote got lost..! It's from The Rebel which I found his hardest to get into (The Plague is my favourite - fantastic) but that aside sure the quote is surely just a reference to how rebellion can soon be corrupted, power corrupts and the right and just reasons behind the rebellion can get lost once the oppressor is defeated I guess the 'great fear' during the French Revolution would be an example. Or the atrocities in the name of communism

He was an incredibly humane writer and one for whom the end certainly did not justify any means whatever in order to get there even if for the supposed greater good. Life is absurd essentially but he gives you hope when trying to work your way through it. Comparing his words to the Daily Mail.....absurd indeed
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 07-02-2018 at 01:11.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:46
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I hope it is just you that can compare Camus to Katie Hopkins! Wtf. Ha.

I tried to quote ata but the quote within the quote got lost..! It's from The Rebel which I found his hardest to get into (The Plague is my favourite - fantastic) but that aside sure the quote is surely just a reference to how rebellion can soon be corrupted, power corrupts and the right and just reasons behind the rebellion can get lost once the oppressor is defeated I guess the 'great fear' during the French Revolution would be an example. Or the atrocities in the name of communism

He was an incredibly humane writer and one for whom the end certainly did not justify any means whatever in order to get there even if for the supposed greater good. Life is absurd essentially but he gives you hope when trying to work your way through it. Comparing his words to the Daily Mail.....absurd indeed
Aye, I know it's a bit twisted. Still, obvs not being around in his time or before, dunno what's changed. Think there's definitely a strong inclination for people to kinda conflate the roles of victim and perpetrator though. Maybe there's nowt new about it, I dunno. Maybe when the slave trade was abolished, people were saying to ex-slaves "bloody hell, you'll be wanting rights next".

Read The Plague ages ago but never read The Rebel. Aye, sensible way of looking at it but don't think my way of looking at it is particularly farfetched though, especially today. Maybe there were equivalents to things like "do-gooder" and "virtue signaller" being used as derogatory terms back in the day, maybe people were as keen to regard victims with suspicion and make excuses for perpetrators as they are now. Who knows..
Old 07-02-2018, 21:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Aye, I know it's a bit twisted. Still, obvs not being around in his time or before, dunno what's changed. Think there's definitely a strong inclination for people to kinda conflate the roles of victim and perpetrator though. Maybe there's nowt new about it, I dunno. Maybe when the slave trade was abolished, people were saying to ex-slaves "bloody hell, you'll be wanting rights next".

Read The Plague ages ago but never read The Rebel. Aye, sensible way of looking at it but don't think my way of looking at it is particularly farfetched though, especially today. Maybe there were equivalents to things like "do-gooder" and "virtue signaller" being used as derogatory terms back in the day, maybe people were as keen to regard victims with suspicion and make excuses for perpetrators as they are now. Who knows..
Tis farfetched though...to imagine Camus penning anything for the Daily Mail. Tis. Just no. Your point is not his point neither. He's not conflating the role of victim and perpetrator. In the examples you use - Hillsborough, Grenfell, Weinstein....the victims demand justice. The relationships are unequal and that's played its part in events and/or in trying and trying and trying to be heard but the victim wants justice and to be seen as equal - to be seen as equal deserves justice...we are all supposed to be equal under the law. But they're not rising up to take power, to overthrow an oppressor, to bring in a new regime....the ideals of revolutionaries can get lost.....once you obtain power too often it corrupts. It didn't happen to Mandela for example but Zuma's corrupt. Aung San Suu Kyi is surprising many (though I feel it's because people don't recognise the power the military holds...or don't want to see it cos it spoils the narrative). The French Revolution brought terror and paranoia, communism has never fulfilled its promise of equality, man challenges the idea of a God but too often wants to behave like one.....

And to your point - sure it's the classic sign of a bully to blame the victim...it's probably one of the main reasons people don't speak up about rape and assault, about being bullied and why inequality is still with us.....that attitude of it being your fault if you're not getting on in life...it's classic...turn it round - 'look what you made me do', the bully was once the victim....that's psychology, that's mind games on a personal level and preventing rebellion on the political
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 08-02-2018, 06:39
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Camus Debates! that's what we need from a Manics forum.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:32
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Tis farfetched though...to imagine Camus penning anything for the Daily Mail. Tis. Just no. Your point is not his point neither. He's not conflating the role of victim and perpetrator. In the examples you use - Hillsborough, Grenfell, Weinstein....the victims demand justice. The relationships are unequal and that's played its part in events and/or in trying and trying and trying to be heard but the victim wants justice and to be seen as equal - to be seen as equal deserves justice...we are all supposed to be equal under the law. But they're not rising up to take power, to overthrow an oppressor, to bring in a new regime....the ideals of revolutionaries can get lost.....once you obtain power too often it corrupts. It didn't happen to Mandela for example but Zuma's corrupt. Aung San Suu Kyi is surprising many (though I feel it's because people don't recognise the power the military holds...or don't want to see it cos it spoils the narrative). The French Revolution brought terror and paranoia, communism has never fulfilled its promise of equality, man challenges the idea of a God but too often wants to behave like one.....

And to your point - sure it's the classic sign of a bully to blame the victim...it's probably one of the main reasons people don't speak up about rape and assault, about being bullied and why inequality is still with us.....that attitude of it being your fault if you're not getting on in life...it's classic...turn it round - 'look what you made me do', the bully was once the victim....that's psychology, that's mind games on a personal level and preventing rebellion on the political
Lol nah, I'm not imagining Camus writing anything for the Daily Mail or anything like that, just trying to show how people can appropriate the shit out of anything really and how meaning can come across differently over time. I completely accept Camus' intended meaning of the line, but yeah, the way it can be appropriated like I've mentioned is summat that doesn't sit well with me at all.
Old 20-02-2018, 20:36
Freed from the century

Montana/Autumn/78 and Prologue To History really are two of the best songs they've ever done, and the essence of everything they are.

The very definition of 'in retrospect we wish we'd put it on the album'.

They could have been world-conquering singles!

Well, maybe not Prologue, because it was the most full-on packed fusillade of lyrics since PCP.
Old 22-02-2018, 13:04
Stretched out in the sun

Has that theloveof Manics discography site died a death now? Had a quick search on here and only found a couple of comments about it and not having much joy on google. Loved that site.
Old 22-02-2018, 16:24
Freed from the century

Does anyone have the sales figures (approximate will do) for RTF and Futurology? Not been able to find them.
Old 28-02-2018, 01:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

On the official chart history site it says only EMG, KYE, SATT and Futurology reached no 2 in the charts and TIMTTMY no 1. Though I never noticed the chart positions, or if they are accurate? I'm surprised the other albums were not placed higher.
Old 28-02-2018, 14:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Does anyone have the sales figures (approximate will do) for RTF and Futurology? Not been able to find them.
According to Music Week, Rewind The Film sold 59,311 and Futurology 49,826.
Old 28-02-2018, 20:54
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post
According to Music Week, Rewind The Film sold 59,311 and Futurology 49,826.
Brilliant. Thank you! What territories do these sales cover?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:07
Knowlede Is Power

How many MSP albums have had track 2 as lead single?

Off the top of my head...

GATS
EMG
TIMT
LB
SATT
RIF

Any others?
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008