Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 13:47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post

Perhaps I've underestimated the extent of the writer's bad behaviour as I haven't seen it.
I've been (mostly lurking) here ever since 2004 and yeah, she was pretty awful in the beginning. Recently, I dare say since she became involved with Rachel and this project, her posts seem to have been limited to just asking random questions about Richey. Rather like a kid getting others to do their homework for them (is the impression I now get). Prior to that, she was poison.

You're right on a number of other assertions though. The copper in charge of Richey's case did state his belief that Richey was "no longer with us" (I think he used those words exactly). Simon Price detailed it in "Everything". Price denounced it as unprofessional and I couldn't agree more.

You're also right about James being angry that it was reported as a suicide. He brought the matter up in that BBC2 doc. Also, during a gig, he told some journalists to "go suck an exhaust" after they ran some salacious story about Richey and his alleged suicide. It might have been in the wake of those feet being washed up in Wales. Not sure now, it was a long time ago. Whatever the case, James was clearly furious at that gig and (IIRC) it was Nicky who had to lighten things up. Role reversal there!
Old 01-02-2019, 18:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post

If she is as bad as many are suggesting then it does make Rachel's support of the book feel very strange.
My interpretation is that Rachel isn’t very well. At all.
That’s how she’s ended up with these authors.
Old 01-02-2019, 18:39
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
I've been (mostly lurking) here ever since 2004 and yeah, she was pretty awful in the beginning. Recently, I dare say since she became involved with Rachel and this project, her posts seem to have been limited to just asking random questions about Richey. Rather like a kid getting others to do their homework for them (is the impression I now get). Prior to that, she was poison.

You're right on a number of other assertions though. The copper in charge of Richey's case did state his belief that Richey was "no longer with us" (I think he used those words exactly). Simon Price detailed it in "Everything". Price denounced it as unprofessional and I couldn't agree more.

You're also right about James being angry that it was reported as a suicide. He brought the matter up in that BBC2 doc. Also, during a gig, he told some journalists to "go suck an exhaust" after they ran some salacious story about Richey and his alleged suicide. It might have been in the wake of those feet being washed up in Wales. Not sure now, it was a long time ago. Whatever the case, James was clearly furious at that gig and (IIRC) it was Nicky who had to lighten things up. Role reversal there!
That was at the Move festival in 2003, and was indeed in response to stories that had been run about the feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
My interpretation is that Rachel isn’t very well. At all.
That’s how she’s ended up with these authors.
I've been wondering about this.
Old 01-02-2019, 19:12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
That was at the Move festival in 2003, and was indeed in response to stories that had been run about the feet.
Thank you!

In response to Rachel's wellbeing, I wouldn't go so far as to say "unwell". That seems a little judgemental. But she's bound to be under a lot of strain because of all this. And now, she's lost both of her parents and may be feeling like she's now all alone in the world. That isolation would make anyone deeply vulnerable to the vultures. So perhaps 'lonely' and 'vulnerable' is how I'd phrase it. And people like the authors are quick to exploit that.

Last edited by Velocitygirl; 01-02-2019 at 20:03.
Old 01-02-2019, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post

In response to Rachel's wellbeing, I wouldn't go so far as to say "unwell". That seems a little judgemental. But she's bound to be under a lot of strain because of all this. And now, she's lost both of her parents and may be feeling like she's now all alone in the world. That isolation would make anyone deeply vulnerable to the vultures. So perhals 'lonely' and 'vulnerable' is how I'd phrase it. And people like the authors are quick to exploit that.
I really didn’t mean to judge her, just some explanation to how she’s ended up with these messed up authors.
Old 01-02-2019, 20:37
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
There was eyewitness accounts of him leaving the hotel at 7:00 apparently. But regardless, whether he left London at 12:00 or 07:00 is irrelevant there is no additional evidence of what he did at that time. What we know is still fundamentally the same. Richey left the embassy hotel, used the severn bridge to drive home, left his passport and some receipts, left his apparent.....two weeks later his car turns up at a gas station near the severn bridge. The new time (if of course someone isn't telling fibbers because I can play this game too) doesn't shed any new light.
Yet it seems to be the only real piece of new evidence thrown up by this book. Although all it seems to have done is cause upset and anger but no answers. It might open the door to more suppositions but nothing concrete. I wondered if the sighting of him leaving the hotel at 7am which seems to be within the police report at the time is true then does the ticket mean he returned to his flat in the early hours, left his passport etc and collected the gifts found in the box in his room before going back to the hotel room, leaving the present and going to who knows where now. I never understood why had he walked out at 7am planning to never be seen again he would have turned up at his flat late that afternoon for surely someone he knew could have been sat there wondering if he'd turn up...he couldn't be sure they wouldn't be by then...nor did it make sense for him to do that just to leave his passport etc there....why not just leave them at the hotel too. What did he go back for? Must have been for something. But if he'd gone back to fetch the stuff he left in the hotel room and left other stuff behind including maybe his passport maybe that was to be sure he didn't change his own mind and head off to the US as he was supposed to.
I know the book etc looks at the idea it was a plan cos he was very bright and had an interest in disappearances but to me, just my own feeling based on the tiny scraps is that I'm not sure he was sure. He was going to go out with James then he changed his mind. I wondered a little about the full bath too, not in a good way, but....I know this is theorising but if that's the book's intention then ... it's a theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
And the talk about this Vivian woman is odd. Apparently the band told Rachel about her but also refused to talk about her.
Vivian - she's not in the police report but was mentioned briefly to Rachel by James was it at the time? And now no one knows who she is.....Why didn't she just ask him? I don't understand. Because she didn't say he refused to speak just that he only briefly alluded to her. So back at the time why didn't she ask or ask if the police had been told if they weren't sure exactly just to get some clarification and understand his state of mind from the last person to speak with him? I really don't understand. Not everyone wants to talk in public and I can see the concern over privacy for some people close to him but I'm puzzled as to why his family seem to be in the dark there and never asked.....wires crossed somewhere? Must be because that doesn't make sense.

Anyways something to mark the anniversary in a sweet way https://www.loudersound.com/features...richey-edwards
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 01-02-2019, 20:53
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven;2677295
Anyways something to mark the anniversary in a sweet way [URL="https://www.loudersound.com/features/remembering-manic-street-preachers-guitarist-richey-edwards"
https://www.loudersound.com/features/remembering-manic-street-preachers-guitarist-richey-edwards[/URL]
Thanks, that was nice. I still think we're kind of blessed to have JPFL. An album of Richey lyrics produced by Steve Albini, and it's actually pretty darn good.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 01-02-2019, 21:27
Winterlover

Well this has really kicked open a hornets nest, hasn't it? I agree with everyone else that this seems to be speculative rubbish (after reading that article) mixed with mostly stuff we already know and it'd be easy to laugh it off if it wasn't also grossly exploitative of rachel herself - i can't quite believe she agreed to this. I too remember SHR on here and their trollish behaviour and seeming vendetta against the band post-richey and i wouldn't be surprised to see them weigh in on this topic seeing as they're still active on the site - hiya SHR! But some of the quotes from her in that article...good grief, what utter nonsense. She wants to get away from the rock mythology surrounding him but if her quotes are representative of the book's content then she's failed. But anyway, someone else can take the hit because i won't be buying it either.

Quote:
Ask Sara for her view on what informed Richey Edwards’ disappearance and she’ll tell you: “He had just broken up with his girlfriend, the band wasn’t going in the direction he wanted it to, he wasn’t getting on with them. They were moving apart.
It's crap like that which really grinds my gears with absolutely no basis on fact but it further plays into her narrative that the manics have and continue to exploit him for profit when others, quite rightly, have pointed out that they've treated his disappearance with nothing less than dignity and respect. I agree with abstract - this sorry mess does make you feel protective of the band and particularly his sister.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 01-02-2019 at 21:44.
Old 03-02-2019, 18:24
Winterlover

I wonder if we’ll finally find out what the proof is that the Manics were lying about how they obtained the ‘opulence’ binder? Lol!
Old 04-02-2019, 16:33
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/a-flo...HUjWusHoVUqoG0

Contains picture of SHR. Interview with her. But not with Rachel. What are the odds?
Old 04-02-2019, 17:13
Knowlede Is Power

I should resist the urge to keep posting but that interview/article is a piece of fawning tripe. It just confirms that the book is an opinion piece and hasn't uncovered a single shred of meaningful evidence.
No shame in that on one level as it is a very difficult case to solve but the way its being marketed is that its shedding new light on things. It isn't.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/a-flo...HUjWusHoVUqoG0

Contains picture of SHR. Interview with her. But not with Rachel. What are the odds?
So they dismiss a diagnosis (by professionals) of Borderline Personality Disorder, but instead suggest he was on the autism spectrum because they read a book about Syd Barrett and his sister (another one who refuses to believe her brother was mentally ill) said Syd may have had Aspergers? Huh?

What a schlocky interview! Everything from the interviewer plugging his own book to her “dismissing” everything from a medical disagnosis to the band’s huge success after Richey went AWOL.
Old 04-02-2019, 18:57
Stretched out in the sun

Seeing this stuff being shared on Twitter and Facebook a lot so every time it is, I try to drop a quick post to clue people in on a bit of background for SHR. This whole book and it’s release feels more like a vanity project with every article that I see about it and as I said earlier in the thread, nothing new is really being said with this book.
Old 04-02-2019, 20:09

It's pissing me off to see how many people are referring to the book as "written by Richey's sister".

I can't really see this book shifting many units. After the initial flurry of fans with too much disposable income buy it, I'm not sure who this is aimed at. Does Richey have that many fans? Are there enough mildly interested people who'd shell out £15-£20 for this?

It's too much conspiracy theory territory for me to take it seriously. The stories about a couple of quirky relatives is nice and vaguely interesting, but I'm from two generations of pig farmers and I'm not a pig farmer. I do like pigs, though (but then who doesn't).

Sad thing is, just as Cobain's history's been rewritten over and over to fluff up the rock star image, a book about how tragic and troubled Richey supposedly was is going to do the opposite of what Rachel wanted.
Old 04-02-2019, 20:50
Knowlede Is Power

SHR had to mention the hitman theory again didn't she lol
Ridiculous.
She keeps dropping hints that the band either know what happened or are somehow to blame. But she doesn't quite have the balls to say it outright.

She's poisonous.