Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-05-2021, 19:01
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
"Expressed concerns in very moderate ways" = posts social media comment saying you're 'glad' a cis woman was willing to commit a vicious beating of a trans woman, whilst also misgendering the victim.

Sasha White seems pretty immoderate and 'anti-trans' to me.
Let's be honest here, karate chopping someone's wrist is hardly a vicious beating is it!

This is part of the problem with certain far left types. They lie or extremely exaggerate to make a point.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

1) I think some parts of “the left” has been waging culture war(s), mostly fixated around identity politics, but by and large it’s not the mainstream left. However, I agree that messy, complex minority concerns like the current transgender battleground should not be something any national or local Labour figures should be getting involved with.

2) The extent to which the mainstream left HAS been getting involved in and is invested in identity politics type culture wars is grossly exaggerated by much British MSM. For obvious reasons (to spell it out .... because it’s an issue unpopular with the vast majority of voters).

3) The mainstream British right is far more invested in culture wars than the mainstream left.

For example, the ridiculous overreaction to a deeply controversial and unpopular statue getting a bath. I’ve never seen such anger and passion from most of the government - not about Covid, or women being attacked, or spiraling child poverty and food bank use - than that I witnessed after some a statue got dunked.

Or take their obsession with doing away with the BBC. Again, surely a pretty trivial issue to most voters - even those who oppose it.

Or take Brexit itself. The most stupid and divisive culture war of them all. What has Britain gained from it other than a decade of division, internally in the party, domestically and internationally.

Of course, none of this stuff is called culture wars by the extremely dominant right wing press and the cowed BBC.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
Let's be honest here, karate chopping someone's wrist is hardly a vicious beating is it!

This is part of the problem with certain far left types. They lie or extremely exaggerate to make a point.

As do the extreme right of course. Sensible and pragmatic politics for the win.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:11
HBIC

Quote:

I'm sorry that spraining someone's wrist, abusing them, pushing them, blocking them in and calling for a man to join in with them doesn't meet your criteria for viciousness or beating. Ignore the two words that trouble you and engage with the rest.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:19
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't want it to happen to you.

The point is, it was an assault on someone who wasn't doing anything wrong, and the person who committed the violent assault is trying to justify her violence by launching a transphobic attack on the victim. Not cool, not right, and literally adding insult to injury.

And no, I don't care if there's someone with a penis in the female loos. As long as someone is behaving like a decent human being, the contents of their knickers is irrelevant.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:25

While we’re on politics....
I’m not a fan of Nicky Wire’s overtly political lyrics:
1) they’re often pretty clunky. I much prefer when he focuses on people, places, experience etc.
2) what is it with his obsession with Eton? I mean 30YW was a great song and it kind of worked there - but again? Eton, Beaten? For someone who criticizes Labour’s inability to connect with the mass of voters, it seems a weird thing to be hung up about. Even Corbyn was smart enough to keep his dislike of private education to himself. I just think it’s superficial, slightly juvenile writing.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:31
HBIC

I think it's because Johnson is the 20th Prime Minister from the same school.
Old 17-05-2021, 19:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron33 View Post
While we’re on politics....
I’m not a fan of Nicky Wire’s overtly political lyrics:
1) they’re often pretty clunky. I much prefer when he focuses on people, places, experience etc.
2) what is it with his obsession with Eton? I mean 30YW was a great song and it kind of worked there - but again? Eton, Beaten? For someone who criticizes Labour’s inability to connect with the mass of voters, it seems a weird thing to be hung up about. Even Corbyn was smart enough to keep his dislike of private education to himself. I just think it’s superficial, slightly juvenile writing.
Orwell went to Eaton
Old 17-05-2021, 20:26
Winterlover

There's no such thing as cancel culture, it's a myth perpetuated by the far right when they get denied a platform to air their bigoted views. What they mean is a consequence culture. See also the bogeyman that is antifa. It's just all ultra gaslighting from white supremacists so they can continue to espouse homophobic, transphobic, racist, misogynist views and indeed attack and murder people in those groups. People like jkr are absolutely transphobic arseholes who have a huge platform to spew this crap, she has an audience of millions! I mean that essay she put out is riddled with misinformation yet it gets praise from a bbc journalist. Let's not forget attacks against trans people have risen sharply in the last few years. Nobody but nobody should be given any platform that denies the right of a whole group of people to exist.

Oh and violence always always comes from the far right.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 17-05-2021 at 20:38.
Old 17-05-2021, 20:44
I live to fall asleep

I wonder where the album will chart? They've had quite a lot of No.2 albums. Be nice for them get a no.1 but it always slips away by the end of the first week. Maybe a solid 2nd single will get people buying the album / streaming it lots.
Old 17-05-2021, 20:55

I think it's sad that JK Rowling's comment generates more concern to create hate and backlash by distorting her comments. I think she explained her message that wasnt offensive. Perhaps the energy to support children's charities and poverty issues that she helps, could raise concern from celebs and influencers to their platform in important global issues than burning Harry Potter books...
I think Nicky is possibly addressing such points in Orwellian and in the album title.
Old 17-05-2021, 21:01
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I wonder where the album will chart? They've had quite a lot of No.2 albums. Be nice for them get a no.1 but it always slips away by the end of the first week. Maybe a solid 2nd single will get people buying the album / streaming it lots.
Oh I'm hoping it tops the charts, but not just physical! Even the football song went to number one on physical sales.
In the actual charts no idea where it went. It got to number one but who played it?
I barely heard it's radio presence compared to Tolerate.
I don't know who apart from the fanbase is interested.
I just hope it doesn't fucking leak. EIE didn't did it?
It goes without saying the new fans it brings wouldn't dream of making an account on here!
And of course, it's all about weeks on chart.
The Coral "Coral Island" entered at 2 last week. But this week 99! (GOOD! With everything we've been through the past year, we don't need a "E are, let's pretend where on an island during high and low seasons!" face the real world or fuck off!!!*)

*= Well those that still need political anthems and music and haven't reached the point of, never mind the music, I'll do this my fucking self!!
Old 17-05-2021, 22:15

Just been looking at the tour dates. Unless I am mistaken, no date in Wales?
Old 17-05-2021, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I hope it goes to No 1. I haven't heard anyone say 'Orwellian times'. I like how James performs the new song. All the tracks on the trailer seem varied and interesting. I hope it is lucky for them.
Old 17-05-2021, 23:06
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
Just been looking at the tour dates. Unless I am mistaken, no date in Wales?
It might be in case they have to push the nhs gigs back to November/December