Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 13:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

I rummaged through my local newspaper e-archives for anything Manics and found only this. Spring 1992, the first North American tour.

On Richey: "The prettiest boy in rock 'n' roll is hot to get it on.” Tantalizing!

Regarding GT: "Too many songs share similar tempos and arrangements, but the boys play better than adequate.” Fair comment.

"Baby-faced stickman Sean Moore is strong on the basics while showing a swift hand with the fills which wouldn't be out of place in, say, the Jesus Jones back line.” That wasn’t really a burn then but it is now.

"Edwards and fellow guitarist/singer Bradfield would rather be Slash than Joe Strummer and work hard at getting there.” Fellow guitarist!

"Nicky Wire's bass style is the most evasive.” Diplomatic comment.

And then a nice little pic of a leaping Nicky captioned as Richie Edwards.

Last edited by solitude; 04-07-2015 at 13:31.
Old 31-07-2015, 19:32
Freed from the century

How to put on a mega-gig: the caterer's story

'The Manics are ridiculously fussy, but not in a bad way: they just like plain stuff. '
Old 31-07-2015, 21:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude View Post
I rummaged through my local newspaper e-archives for anything Manics and found only this. Spring 1992, the first North American tour.

On Richey: "The prettiest boy in rock 'n' roll is hot to get it on.” Tantalizing!

Regarding GT: "Too many songs share similar tempos and arrangements, but the boys play better than adequate.” Fair comment.

"Baby-faced stickman Sean Moore is strong on the basics while showing a swift hand with the fills which wouldn't be out of place in, say, the Jesus Jones back line.” That wasn’t really a burn then but it is now.

"Edwards and fellow guitarist/singer Bradfield would rather be Slash than Joe Strummer and work hard at getting there.” Fellow guitarist!

"Nicky Wire's bass style is the most evasive.” Diplomatic comment.

And then a nice little pic of a leaping Nicky captioned as Richie Edwards
I missed this, thanks for posting! My favourite bit is his further comments on Wire's bass playing: "He hammers in true rockist tradition, while slipping in pumping funk runs and Sting-like progressions." What the absolute fuck was he listening to?
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 01-08-2015, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I missed this, thanks for posting! My favourite bit is his further comments on Wire's bass playing: "He hammers in true rockist tradition, while slipping in pumping funk runs and Sting-like progressions." What the absolute fuck was he listening to?
You are welcome! I am delighted to have anything at all to share here!

RE: "pumping funk runs and Sting-like progressions"... I don't know quite what a Sting-like progression would be but my deepest suspicion is that such a thing might have been beyond the grasp of 1992 Nicky. However, it is worth noting that this same journalist apparently thought JDB and Richey were on par guitar-wise. So.
Old 02-08-2015, 21:26
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicben View Post
Nicky out hipstering the hipsters by picking a box set that doesn't even exist.

http://www.nme.com/photos/30-tv-boxs...sets#/photo/24
Has he seriously watched it on youtube??? Bae's getting more into technology, I'm so proud of him!

If anyone fancies, in the new NME with the best covers, there are 2 of the Manics - one of Richey with MM stamps and the other one of Nichey, the first NME cover; both pics by Kevin Cummins.

Also there's a 2pages long reprint from the issue Jan 5, 1991. Hilarious article by Steven Wells, they don't write about the music like this anymore. I swear, I was reading and I was cry-laughing because it was incredibly well written.

It's also available here (they reprinted it with the same picture)

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp...h_January_1991

ps. there's also a weird letter from May 1997 in the Letters section but it's not worth mentioning
Old 06-08-2015, 15:35

Didn't see this on the FD twitter yet: BELLADRUM: Manics' Nicky live and rewired (Highland News)
Old 24-10-2015, 20:46
Freed from the century

This Month's "Manics' Bit in Q Magazine"....

Epic (but certainly cobblers) "Top Albums of the 90s" Feature:

#80 EMG
#50 (50!?!) THB

No prizes for guessing what's No1 (Clue: Oxfordian Miserablists).
Old 24-10-2015, 21:16
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
No prizes for guessing what's No1 (Clue: Oxfordian Miserablists).
Well to be fair "OK Computer" is a great album and- shit, they didn't give it to "The Bends" did they?
Old 27-10-2015, 09:06
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
The first time, maybe, that I run up to a Manics' thing in a random pointless trivia internet list article. It's about musician to musician insults.

http://celebs.answers.com/music/the-...n-insults-ever
Old 28-10-2015, 23:22
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Scroll down, scroll down, scroll down, scroll down, THERE THEY ARE!!
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...=FB-Wales-main
Old 19-02-2016, 09:00
Mr Msppedia

Old 19-02-2016, 09:44
Stretched out in the sun

I love this kinda thing. I kinda get the impression that when they started out and god probably up to Lifeblood really, they were kinda scared of citing popular global acts as influences. It's uncool to like popular things when you're projecting yourselves as outsiders. Like James said in No Manifesto, don't like or admit to liking The Beatles. And then they supported Paul McCartney and the lad interviewed him. The Sound And Vision thing is obvious enough and I think, even slightly, some of Nicky's outfits might have had a bit of a nod to Bowie.. Probably start wearing an eye patch now.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
According to a friend of mine who works in the industry, the manics have been recording new material in Cardiff since late October. Though they've not heard anything it's rumoured to sound suitably anthemic stuff.
Old 05-03-2016, 13:14
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
According to a friend of mine who works in the industry, the manics have been recording new material in Cardiff since late October. Though they've not heard anything it's rumoured to sound suitably anthemic stuff.
That would be great! (Though of course I'll whine about any single aspect of a prospective future release. It's my forum role, now.) It would make sense, too, as they seem to be in the studio all the time - and seriously - Deutschland 83 has only 8 episodes, 6 Nations doesn't take all year, and even Wire doesn't need an entire year to learn EMG, given the fact they play 1/3 constantly. hopeful!

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 07-03-2016, 13:00
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
That would be great! (Though of course I'll whine about any single aspect of a prospective future release. It's my forum role, now.) It would make sense, too, as they seem to be in the studio all the time - and seriously - Deutschland 83 has only 8 episodes, 6 Nations doesn't take all year, and even Wire doesn't need an entire year to learn EMG, given the fact they play 1/3 constantly. hopeful!
I've asked my mate to keep an ear to the ground about new material. I don't think we'll get any new material until 2017 though. I'd imagine we'll hear a track or two over the course of the summer but they won't be releasing a new album this year.