Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-02-2019, 22:57
Builder of routine

Ludditeism in what way? That won't have anything to do with why this forum is quiet
Old 17-02-2019, 23:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
It feels like the manics fan is a dying breed these days - this place being swallowed by social media
This in itself (and I know it doesn't cover your entire point) is sadly the case for just about everything. 10-15 years ago I was a member of maybe 30 message boards: on some I was a regular, others barely more than a lurker. But now half of those forums are gone, a quarter are almost embarrassingly dead, and the remaining quarter are like here: busy enough, but nothing compared to the past. The worst thing is the social media versions are always shite because they're partially populated by casual fans, and although there's nothing wrong with casual fans, they hinder the existence of in-depth discussion. Forums have always been about nerds, and it's harder and harder to find nerd-friendly places.
Old 17-02-2019, 23:13
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Ludditeism in what way? That won't have anything to do with why this forum is quiet
Not directly related no but to thrive in the digitals these days, for good or bad, you got to communicate and it's interesting that for a band all about mass communication they've shunned the advantages the internet would have given them. I can imagine the young manics starting today would embrace that with a passion. I know they still do inspire people but when this place disappears what will be left for those people to delve into other than whatever exists on internet archive.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 17-02-2019, 23:17
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
The worst thing is the social media versions are always shite because they're partially populated by casual fans, and although there's nothing wrong with casual fans, they hinder the existence of in-depth discussion. Forums have always been about nerds, and it's harder and harder to find nerd-friendly places.
Thanks. That was my point really, you see people attempt long-form topics on twitter and it is utterly unsuitable for such a thing.
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 17-02-2019, 23:26
Builder of routine

Quote:
Thanks. That was my point really, you see people attempt long-form topics on twitter and it is utterly unsuitable for such a thing.
The creepy little sandpit is crap for that aswell. A lot of people left this forum cos some members would only moan continuously about the bands output. It can get quite draining....also a fair bit of bitchiness for a while but all that's gone now. Moved to them there closed facebook groups
Old 17-02-2019, 23:36
Banned

And this place has been closed for new registrations for quite some time now. Are they just waiting for those of who're still here to get bored and go away?
Old 17-02-2019, 23:38
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
And this place has been closed for new registrations for quite some time now. Are they just waiting for those of who're still here to get bored and go away?
Oh really??? Didn't know that. This is the only place I can talk about the manics! noooooooo.
Old 18-02-2019, 11:45
Winterlover

Huh... I didn’t know that either but it’s true, how long has that been the case? The writing appears to be on the wall which would be a damn shame. Is anyone captaining this ship anymore? Someone must be paying the hosting fees. I’ve said before this place should be migrated to a discourse forum with some proper security - what with the database fuckup a few years ago and I think a browser like chrome (not that I use it) actively blocks unencrypted domains now unless you make an exception and Firefox is heading that way too.
Old 18-02-2019, 11:51
Knowlede Is Power

We should all move over to reddit. Much easier to have proper discussions on there than on twitter.
Old 18-02-2019, 13:22
Banned

Quote:
Huh... I didn’t know that either but it’s true, how long has that been the case? The writing appears to be on the wall which would be a damn shame. Is anyone captaining this ship anymore? Someone must be paying the hosting fees. I’ve said before this place should be migrated to a discourse forum with some proper security - what with the database fuckup a few years ago and I think a browser like chrome (not that I use it) actively blocks unencrypted domains now unless you make an exception and Firefox is heading that way too.

I only realised myself after I'd forgotten my password and tried to register a new account. The error message popped up that the administrator had disabled registration. I only got back in after reclaiming my email and resetting the pw through that.

Anyway, according to the index page, the newest member of the forum is GuitarHeroJam. He signed up in December 2017. So, a little over a year ago, would be my rough estimate for when registration was disabled.

I know very little technical stuff about web browsers and whatnot. But I'm using Chrome and I have no problem accessing the forum. Does that mean it's still being properly hosted and what have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
We should all move over to reddit. Much easier to have proper discussions on there than on twitter.
I like this idea. I have a Reddit account but haven't invested much time in getting to grips with the place. But it is a good place to hold discussions.

Last edited by Velocitygirl; 18-02-2019 at 13:30.
Old 18-02-2019, 13:54
Winterlover

Quote:
I know very little technical stuff about web browsers and whatnot. But I'm using Chrome and I have no problem accessing the forum. Does that mean it's still being properly hosted and what have you?
Yeah, I got that slightly wrong but doesnt chrome at least warn you that it’s a non-secure website (no https in the address bar I mean)? I’m thinking future updates to browsers will block such sites unless you specify an exception. Well hosting isn’t free so someone is paying for the domain, I would assume Finn but I don’t know.

Last edited by Tim; 18-02-2019 at 14:01.
Old 18-02-2019, 15:28
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I
I like this idea. I have a Reddit account but haven't invested much time in getting to grips with the place. But it is a good place to hold discussions.
Its quite good once you get your head round it. Maybe Ill set up Forever Delayed subreddit...
Old 18-02-2019, 16:35
Bored of being bored

Hmmmm.... the Manic Street Preachers community on Reddit has a total of 146 members and has had three posts in the last three months. Not exactly a pumped up community...
Old 18-02-2019, 17:24
Builder of routine

This site is still being maintained. MSPedia is attached to it. I think registrations are manual for the admin and there's likely a hell of a lot of bots trying to register. Guitarherojam might be one. Says banned on the profile
Old 18-02-2019, 17:33
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Hmmmm.... the Manic Street Preachers community on Reddit has a total of 146 members and has had three posts in the last three months. Not exactly a pumped up community...
Didnt realise there was one!