Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-11-2017, 11:18
Mr Msppedia

05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint Arena

Roll Call & Gig Discussion Thread

MSPpedia link
Official Facebook Event Page

Old 24-11-2017, 09:49
Builder of routine

booked
Old 24-11-2017, 18:58
Bored of being bored

Booked this morning.

I don't know why I stress about these things, I'm usually lucky getting tickets.
Old 28-11-2017, 19:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

Booked on the pre sale. Going to make a weekend of it and stay two nights. Thought we’d try the bay this time to stay in. Any nice places there to go or will we have to go into the town?

Stay Beautiful.
Old 23-01-2018, 12:41
Born to end

Does anyone know of any decent indie venues that'd be worth visiting pre or post gig? I've heard quite a few places have closed down round Cardiff recently but I'm assuming there must be a few good watering holes left.
Old 28-04-2018, 10:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

Hi guys. I've just got a ticket from the forum and had a sudden panic as it's not my name on the ticket. Does anyone know if they're conducting strict Id checks on the night? They seem to be for noel gallagher the following night
Old 03-05-2018, 12:50
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by framedadolescence View Post
Hi guys. I've just got a ticket from the forum and had a sudden panic as it's not my name on the ticket. Does anyone know if they're conducting strict Id checks on the night? They seem to be for noel gallagher the following night
They haven't anywhere else ... you should be fine
Old 03-05-2018, 14:11
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by framedadolescence View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
They haven't anywhere else ... you should be fine
Aye, think the only way we’re likely to need ID for a Manics gig is if they decide to go for a very intimate tour. Which after playing to a few half empty arenas, I don’t think would be a massive surprise to be fair.
Old 05-05-2018, 20:39
Bored of being bored

The return of Motown Junk? And there was me thinking it had been ditched for good!
Old 05-05-2018, 23:08
A self-made vacuum

In brief, tonight was a really great show for me despite being seated for the first time since the KYE tour. It sounded better than Birmingham, particularly noticeable on Hold Me Like a Heaven, unless it was just changing position from near barrier to being near the back. The boys were really on top form tonight.

Last edited by deadmartyr; 06-05-2018 at 06:09. Reason: Punctuation and typo
Old 06-05-2018, 08:02
Stretched out in the sun

Me hopes were a bit dented after Leeds, but fuck me what a night. Maybe they should only do gigs in Cardiff on Saturdays from now on, couldn’t have been much more different to Wednesday. Half expected Anchoress but not to be. Nice seeing Motown Junk back and No Feelings was fun. To the band’s credit, on Wednesday it could’ve been a Saturday in Cardiff for all you knew if you didn’t look at the crowd and just watched the band.. glad they didn’t let it get to them, but yeah, last night’s atmosphere compared to Wednesday, hard to believe it’s the same band, never mind the same tour.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:52
Bored of being bored

I don't do multiple dates, but damn, almost every gig is a reminder why they've been a constant in my life for 20 years (December will be 20 years since my first Manics gig).

So glad that "No Feelings" carried over from Wembley though. I'd say the odd cover here and there would be a fun addition to the set, but they have so many of their own songs that they could be playing, but don't as it is!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:58
Freed from the century

Was good to see that they still have 'it' last night. Cracking version of NSAF (satisfyingly crunchy) and I've never quite been convinced that Faster works acoustically but the call/response from the audience was fantastic, same for Stay Beautiful.

Hard to see Horses Under Starlight as anything other than a bit too much indulgence though, for a band who shy away from that generally it's strange to see them go that far. So many better bsides that could have been done instead (Prologue or Sepia would be top of my list) and would have been fan service without completely losing 95% of the crowd for 3minutes.

That said, 4everdelayed and No Feelings were excellent so ,one brief moan aside, it's good to see their confidence that they can mix up some 'deep cuts' into the standards in an arena show.

One question : did Wayne have some sort of filter/backing tape for Dylan & Caitlin or was that just an eeire Anchoress impression? Was on the balcony so perhaps it was just the echo in the room but it sounded very close to the original

Last edited by Glyn; 06-05-2018 at 11:02.
Old 06-05-2018, 13:40
Bored out of my mind

No filter on Wayne as far as I'm aware. I saw his band support British Sea Power around the Postcards era and from what I remember, he had quite a high, poppy voice.

Wow wow wow, this was definitely my favourite of the tour. We were centre on the barrier, so the crowd round us were very lively. I haven't been pushed around like that at all on this tour (although I had bags of room behind me for the first few songs before the crowd suddenly went off). It wasn't overly aggressive pushing though and I've definitely experienced a lot worse. I didn't go to Wembley, but heard that was amazing too. James said during the acoustic section Cardiff was neck and neck with Wembley, so I wonder who came out the winner for them. I like to think Cardiff with it being a home gig

Motown Junk! Haven't heard that in forever, so that was a nice surprise. No Feelings was a bit batshit and I saw FAR too much of Nicky than I've ever wanted to see (pants and everything when he was kicking his legs up in that skirt) The rest of the set wasn't really any different to the other gigs, but the crowd were definitely a lot more vocal than the other dates, and not just for the acoustic section either. I really enjoyed everything so much more than the rest of the tour, so it just goes to show what a great atmosphere can do for a gig.

Overall, I have enjoyed this tour though; the first night was the worst and the last night was the best for me and the gigs generally seemed to get better as the tour went along. I hope this is the end of them playing arenas though, unless it's in Cardiff. The main problem for me at some of the gigs was the lack of atmosphere and the disconnect between the band and the crowd, but that could be fixed quite easily in smaller venues. They're never going to drastically mix up the setlists either, but as I said, if the atmosphere is good and you can tell the crowd really want to be there, you can kind of forgive that.

Oh and I feel like I was a bit harsh on The Coral earlier in the tour. They actually really grew on me and I keep getting their songs stuck in my head (I also don't know how I already knew so many of their songs, when I've never really paid attention to them before). I will also miss them saying "Nice one" after almost every single song

I'm a bit dead now the tour is over though and got a bit sunburnt in the queue yesterday, oops. Although what a change from the Leeds queue, with that biting cold wind! So I was actually glad it was warm for a change and we did thankfully get some shade later in the day. Weirdly I think the nice weather contributed to my enjoyment as well.

I'll post some photos shortly now I'm back home again. Not sure how well these ones will have come out though, as I kept getting knocked around every time I tried to take a picture.
Old 06-05-2018, 14:22
Builder of routine

Best gig of the tour for me too. Totally worth a 4 hour coach trip. Need to check out some Coral albums methinks.