Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-01-2012, 18:43
Bored out of my mind

Motown Junk. 21 years old and still sounds as fantastic as ever!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 21-01-2012, 23:33
I live to fall asleep

I'm Not Working is fucking good.

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 22-01-2012, 17:36
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
I'm Not Working is fucking good.
It is!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-01-2012, 18:50
Doors slowly closing

This time last year...Brixton Academy! To me the real comeback gig after the bore-fest that was PFAYM and the Birmingham December 2010 show. Starting with Slash N Burn, great memories!
Old 22-01-2012, 19:43
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
This time last year...Brixton Academy! To me the real comeback gig after the bore-fest that was PFAYM and the Birmingham December 2010 show. Starting with Slash N Burn, great memories!
Oi! I was at the Birmingham Dec 2010 gig and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Old 29-01-2012, 12:05
Knowlede Is Power

Been listening to Richey-era Manics bootlegs with my new earphones, and they're great. I have however started noticing various strange sounds. I initially didn't know what they were, and they're too brief to get enough out of them to describe them. Almost like little clinks. As I listened more though, I began to realise that there's a pattern to them, and I could start to make some logical deducations. The first was that they aren't just random noise, or a technical problem. The abberations occured roughly in rrelation with the music, so it couldn't be that. They could almost have been percussive, but they don't fit into any part of Sean's drum playing, be it stylistically, tonally, or in terms of volume. Unless they were the sound of his drummer stool rocking back and forth, maybe. But no. Drums are very loud, so it wouldn't be that. It couldn't be Nicky. Too high a pitch, and it occured at times when he wasn't playing. Couldn't be James either. While the sound had some loose connection with the music, it was totally out of sync with James' guitar playing. I pondered for a moment if it could be something weird he was doing, or if he was wearing a jacket that kept hitting the strings or something, but none of that made sense. The aberations remained a mystery. Looking outside the box, I began to wonder if maybe the gigs were taped on tapes that had previously been used for something else, and maybe I was hearing the residue of a loud snare from a previous recording, or from the soundcheck. Maybe it was the crowd jumping around. It was strange, whatever it was.

After some thought, it dawned on me that what I was hearing was actually Richey's guitar playing.
Old 29-01-2012, 23:33
Stretched out in the sun

Apart from Lifeblood, The Holy Bible is the most un-Manics sounding album the Manics have ever done. Seriously, listen to all of their albums and you can hear the traces of their sound throughout - except for on those two records. They are unlike anything else the band has ever done. Some of you will probably be like "Yeah, duh!" but I think a large section of Manics fandom (myself included until recently) will have never considered this fact in relation to THB. It really is nothing like a traditional Manics album...and maybe that's why we love it so much?
Old 29-01-2012, 23:37
A self-made vacuum

Nostalgic Pushead has the best JDB solo on the record for the Manics
Beware!
Old 30-01-2012, 05:31
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
After some thought, it dawned on me that what I was hearing was actually Richey's guitar playing.
"Various strange sounds" with "some loose connection to the music" - yeah, that's Richey.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:28
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsebastian View Post
"Various strange sounds" with "some loose connection to the music" - yeah, that's Richey.
Old 30-01-2012, 15:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
Can't comment on Brixton, but Birmingham was really poor. Left as soon as they started A Design for Life, couldn't wait to get out.
Old 30-01-2012, 15:11
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
Can't comment on Brixton, but Birmingham was really poor. Left as soon as they started A Design for Life, couldn't wait to get out.
Tut!
Old 30-01-2012, 15:58
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Tut!
They should play a better set then! The only bit I enjoyed was Last Christmas, which although I called it, was still a treat.
Old 30-01-2012, 21:17
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
They should play a better set then! The only bit I enjoyed was Last Christmas, which although I called it, was still a treat.
Duble tut!
Old 31-01-2012, 20:33
Builder of routine

Quote:
acoustic You stole the sun was ace too. I enjoyed the gig but agree about the set. Brixton was MUCH better