Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-12-2014, 12:08
Bored of being bored

I guess we'll have our answer if he samples them on his next single or something.

I kinda wish it wasn't that image though. It's an iconic image in Manics history, but I feel like it glorifies self-harm in a way that doesn't sit well with me.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some hardcore band that had T-shirts with that pic photoshopped to look like it was their band name carved into Richey's arm? They elongated Richey's arm to make it fit, and it looked wrong.

EDIT: found the shirt, from a post on this board. Here.
Old 22-12-2014, 12:21
Knowlede Is Power

When's that Kanye photo from? If it is from today (i.e. Richie's birthday) maybe he does actually know the Manics and it is not just 'fashion'? Very bizarre but sure whose to say Kanye can't have levels!
Old 22-12-2014, 12:44
Freed from the century

I think the jacket is possibly one designed by Raf Simons, he did a collection a few years with loads of Manics photos etc. But if Kanye is genuinely a fan, that would obviously be a better explanation!
Old 22-12-2014, 12:56
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciemanics View Post
Really? Jesus Christ. The thought of little mindless hipsters running around with Richey & Nicky on printed across their chests makes me want to vomit.

With Kanye, it's probably a mystery. I'd love to know though.
You mean hipsters and Nicky Wire or just hipsters?

Oh here it is, google images says it's from this place but wouldn't direct us to the thread
Old 22-12-2014, 13:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice View Post
I kinda wish it wasn't that image though. It's an iconic image in Manics history, but I feel like it glorifies self-harm in a way that doesn't sit well with me.
This. Without knowing if Kanye knows the history and all, after it sunk in "Oh My God he's got Richey on his jacket!" but knowing Kanye's reputation, I started to feel like I do about most things Kanye - cheap gimmick.

I also found some more photos from this papparazzi shoot. http://www.splashnewsonline.com/tag/kanye-west/

You can see the other side of the jacket in the one shot, where there's another photo sewn on, but that image is not as immediately recognizable to me - I'm not sure if it's supposed to be another Richey shot, or maybe James, or someone not even from the Manics. (I'd post the photo directly, but can't figure out how. - Oh wait, figured it out, but it's huge!)

Old 22-12-2014, 13:22
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice View Post
I guess we'll have our answer if he samples them on his next single or something.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some hardcore band that had T-shirts with that pic photoshopped to look like it was their band name carved into Richey's arm? They elongated Richey's arm to make it fit, and it looked wrong.

EDIT: found the shirt, from a post on this board. Here.
Part of me thinks Richey would love seeing his face on the shirt of one of the biggest stars in the world.

I do think it's appalling though. Wouldn't accuse Kanye West or the designers of glamourising self-harm any more than Richey did himself though, there he is posing and staring cold as ice straight down the lens, knowing that it'll be all over the press and all sorts of people (including vulnerable and impressionable people) are going to see it.

I do find it incredibly sad that some designer saw this and thought yeah that'll sell. Don't suppose they're any worse than the journalists in that respect though. Even Richey himself. Outrage sells, "rebellion, it always sells at a profit" etc. The thing that's worst of all for me with this is how it's clearly unauthorised and who gives a shit. Absolutely no regard for Richey, his friends or family. Fuck them, we'll make what we can out of him.
Old 22-12-2014, 13:27
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciemanics View Post
Really? Jesus Christ. The thought of little mindless hipsters running around with Richey & Nicky on printed across their chests makes me want to vomit.

With Kanye, it's probably a mystery. I'd love to know though.
On the plus side, if people see his jacket and wonder who the guy on it is and do a search online they might get into the Manics or find out a bit more about Richey.

It doesn't really matter though, people buy Ramones and Iron Maiden tshirts from Topshop and probably have no idea whose those bands are, as a fan it's I guess mildly frustrating, but to me kind of funny as well.

I think it's kind of cool myself, Richey is a pop culture icon and that photo is a really iconic image.
Old 22-12-2014, 13:27
Doors slowly closing

Manics were appropriating imagery long before Kanye. That ship has sailed!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 22-12-2014, 13:49
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
In terms of rock bands not usually associated with hip hop, I was surprised when he sampled King Crimson (and badly I might add), so I'm not completely shocked to discover that he seemingly knows the Manics. However, he's a complete arse, a dullard who thinks he is the second coming. Let's hope he decides to disappear too.
He is increasingly a grade A prat, he does often make excellent records though.
Old 22-12-2014, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
On the plus side, if people see his jacket and wonder who the guy on it is and do a search online they might get into the Manics or find out a bit more about Richey.
I did have a look at the comments section of the Daily Mail article someone linked me to (yeah, I know...) to see if anyone knew who it was, and the only comment to mention the picture at all belonged to someone who thought it was Lena Dunham.

""All I ever wanted was a brute with cheekbones." Because I think that's all anyone ever wants."
- Richey Edwards
Old 22-12-2014, 14:02
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodleBug View Post
This. Without knowing if Kanye knows the history and all, after it sunk in "Oh My God he's got Richey on his jacket!" but knowing Kanye's reputation, I started to feel like I do about most things Kanye - cheap gimmick.

I also found some more photos from this papparazzi shoot. http://www.splashnewsonline.com/tag/kanye-west/

You can see the other side of the jacket in the one shot, where there's another photo sewn on, but that image is not as immediately recognizable to me - I'm not sure if it's supposed to be another Richey shot, or maybe James, or someone not even from the Manics. (I'd post the photo directly, but can't figure out how. - Oh wait, figured it out, but it's huge!)

This is a picture of David Bowie:
Old 22-12-2014, 14:05
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyBeyondLust View Post
I did have a look at the comments section of the Daily Mail article someone linked me to (yeah, I know...) to see if anyone knew who it was, and the only comment to mention the picture at all belonged to someone who thought it was Lena Dunham.
Ha! fantastic
Old 22-12-2014, 14:09
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley_Girl View Post
This is a picture of David Bowie:
Thank you.

Didn't think I'd be thanking anyone for glimpse of Bowie's pubes, but there ya go.
Old 22-12-2014, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurologist View Post
Thank you.

Didn't think I'd be thanking anyone for glimpse of Bowie's pubes, but there ya go.

My thanks, also, for solving that mystery. Now can anyone help with what those two other patches full of text say?

I really, really hope that someone now asks Kanye during an interview about the Manics. If I hear that the jacket has inspired him to sample one of their songs you'll be able to hear my screams all the way across the Atlantic.
Old 22-12-2014, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay View Post
I think the jacket is possibly one designed by Raf Simons, he did a collection a few years with loads of Manics photos etc. But if Kanye is genuinely a fan, that would obviously be a better explanation!
From my google search you're right it looks like Raf Simons made the jacket, I had no idea he released a Manics-inspired line in 2001 but Kanye just made it even harder to track down now HAHA