Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-11-2019, 12:49
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
It may also be a question of Sony willing to pay him for the effort he put into it. The impression I get is that Kieren's produced this off his own back. Hence there may be an issue of Sony/Columbia not coughing up the cash to pay him appropriately if the film was to be released in whatever form.
Sony wouldn't be paying him or any other independent filmmaker they didn't expressly hire to make a film. It's more likely to be a case of Sony not giving enough of a damn about the Manics anymore to bother executing a contract to allow him to pay them for the music rights to properly market it. That's why No Manifesto has never been on TV or had a proper wide release.

Last edited by Elizabeth M; 23-11-2019 at 12:53.
Old 23-11-2019, 13:20
Knowlede Is Power

Could this go down the same route as No Manifesto?

I don’t know much about how it works, but you eventually managed to get it released so surely there must be a way of getting this out.

Would Kieran be open to us lot sorting out a Crowdfunding effort or something similar? He doesn’t follow back on Twitter so I can’t ask.
Old 23-11-2019, 15:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

A YouTube release is the best solution if Sony is not willing to release it commercially. In that case the band will please us as fans. I think a some kind of petition from us should be done for this to happen!!
Old 29-11-2019, 12:57
Knowlede Is Power

Yes https://www.nme.com/news/music/manic..._IeTYQpnjjP96M
Old 29-11-2019, 22:55
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
Great to see/hear. Very well mixed!
Old 30-11-2019, 03:46
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Could this go down the same route as No Manifesto?

I don’t know much about how it works, but you eventually managed to get it released so surely there must be a way of getting this out.

Would Kieran be open to us lot sorting out a Crowdfunding effort or something similar? He doesn’t follow back on Twitter so I can’t ask.
No Manifesto was released because we paid for everything ourselves. It was an interesting experience from which we learned a lot. We don't regret it because it was a great adventure, we really cared about the project, and we're very proud of the resulting film, but it was a heck of a pricey education.
Old 01-12-2019, 19:37
I live to fall asleep

I'm really looking forward to seeing this at the Tyneside in Newcastle on Tuesday. It's the day after the Tyneside's showing Chris Morris' latest film, along with a Q&A with Morris himself, so it's an excellent start to the week for me!
Old 02-12-2019, 22:45
Bored out of my mind

Went to see this in Sheffield this evening and aw I really enjoyed it! Those December 2014 gigs were SO good and intense, it was great to be able to watch it all again. The sound mix was amazing as well.

I wasn't sure about the editing of the footage at first, as it's kind of messy and disjointed, but Kieran talked about it afterwards and when he put it into context and compared it to the way the BBC Cardiff Castle footage was shot, it made a lot more sense. His comments about the BBC were hilarious. The band were very surprised the BBC had expressed interest in covering their THB set for their Music Day or whatever it was. Kieran went to various meetings with the BBC and one of the producers suddenly seemed to have read the lyrics and panicked about them airing all the naughty swear words. They started asking whether James could miss certain words out, or change them for different ones?!! So clearly someone hadn't done their research before asking the Manics to take part Apparently the BBC were very pushy about wanting to use camera rigs and the band said no for THB part of the set, but yes to the second half. The BBC also suggested whether it'd be possible for them to send a camera crew on stage in camoflauge gear to film from various angles (as I don't think they were happy about having static cameras), as "The band wouldn't even know we were there" The band funnily enough said no to that as well.

Kieran wasn't a fan of the way the BBC footage came out and said it looked really boring...which I do remember being a common complaint at the time, even though when I was there in the crowd, I didn't think it was that bad at all. So I think with this film, he wanted to approach it completely differently and make it much more raw and messier, similar to the way the band went about recording the album in the first place. He said he approached filming it as though it was from the perspective of someone in the crowd, or at the side of the stage and to be fair, I did think the energy and atmosphere came across quite well. Obviously there's no substitute for being at the gig yourself, but I get why it was done like that, especially compared to the pedestrian way the BBC footage came out.

It also sounded very much like the band weren't particularly keen on doing the film in the first place and they only agreed to do it on various conditions...from memory, I think only Kieran was allowed to film them, he was only allowed to film one of them each night and it wasn't to be a documentary of the tour (so no interviews etc.). Kieran said he only wanted to film the gig itself anyway, so that wasn't a problem. The band were very nervous when the tour started and it was only a few gigs in once they relaxed a bit and saw the crowds' reactions that they agreed to film something, which I think Kieran said was initially only really supposed to be for the archives. So, I don't think it was ever intended for a proper release or anything. In fact, he got quite technical about putting the footage through some sort of programme and nearly every single frame would have failed the test to be useable on TV...so basically, I think the whole project was the antithesis of the BBC footage He said he only thought about giving it a cinema release after the death of the band's lighting director, as all the ticket sales are being donated to a charity linked to the condition he had. So it's not like Kieran, the band or Sony are making any money out of this and that wasn't the intention, so I'd really just take it in the spirit it was intended tbh.

However, he did also say that there will be a one-off "streaming event" next year, so not sure what that will involve yet...he didn't elaborate on it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvitaminpill View Post
They also had close ups of Nicky Wire’s bass during the Archives of Pain and The Die in The Summertime guitar solos which was just poor camerawork/editing.
Oh my god YES, this did annoy me as well actually. I had even thought to myself before Archives started 'They better show James playing the solo' and then they focused on Nicky's bass, I couldn't believe it! Kieran even said in the Q&A that those gigs took a lot out of James, that he was often quiet after the gigs from being so drained and that he struggled to get to grips with the words for a month or so...plus he needed to make sure his voice didn't give up the ghost for the duration of the tour (Kieran said they very nearly had to cancel the first night in London, but James powered through) and he didn't have any back up guitarists like he does for their normal sets. So much was resting on James' shoulders on that tour, so the least they could have done is given him centre stage of the film for the Archives solo!

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 02-12-2019 at 22:49.
Old 03-12-2019, 13:47
Knowlede Is Power

Brilliant insight, thanks for sharing that - really interesting.
Old 04-12-2019, 14:18
Desire on its knees

Saw it in Newcastle last night, it was ott strobe in parts but honestly fantastic. It managed to capture the atmosphere of the gigs and damn the sound mix was on point. Truly disappointed it won't get a digital release beyond a streaming event soon, it wouldn't be something I'd return to often but a few times a year. As a side note, loved the audience questions and Tyneside cinema is a gem, beautiful building, great screen
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:22
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron the little seal View Post
Saw it in Newcastle last night, it was ott strobe in parts but honestly fantastic. It managed to capture the atmosphere of the gigs and damn the sound mix was on point. Truly disappointed it won't get a digital release beyond a streaming event soon, it wouldn't be something I'd return to often but a few times a year. As a side note, loved the audience questions and Tyneside cinema is a gem, beautiful building, great screen
I saw this too, and agree with everything you said. It sounded amazing, and I think Kieran Evans did a wonderful job - the fairly simple structure of just the stylised words and that repeating droning sound really worked in complimenting the album’s songs. The highlight for me was probably This Is Yesterday, it sounded so gloriously heavy.

I never got to any of those THB gigs so this was a treat. The loudness and quality of the cinema audio really did make it a worthwhile theatrical experience that I can imagine would lose something in most home settings. Having said that I don’t feel like there has been a good reason given for why this won’t be getting a home release of any kind - I’m pleased if people will at least get to see and hear it with this ‘one-off streaming event’ (whatever that means), but even that seem to oddly contradict what little logic there is for keeping it otherwise limited to theatrical showings.

Pure speculation in my part, but I do wonder if it’s just the band themselves who are the ones who don’t want it released, and Kieran is just too much of a gent to say so. Either way, I think it’s a shame.

But other than that one negative note, I thought this was brilliant and I was very pleased to be able to attend a screening of this.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 07-12-2019 at 10:27.
Old 07-12-2019, 17:16
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
The highlight for me was probably This Is Yesterday, it sounded so gloriously heavy.
I was at Tyneside showing too, and I loved TIY. The vocal definitely came from the first night at the Roundhouse when James voice was shot. I was at that gig and obviously so glad they didn't cancel it. I actually though James jagged vocals added something to the gig, a certain vulnerability.

Thought the interviewer was a bit of a tit though, appeared to dislike the Manics from HB onwards.

Hope someone magically 'captures' the streaming event
Old 13-12-2019, 22:17

Please someone get the NME video extract from YES!!
Old 14-12-2019, 05:33

Here it is for a short time
Old 14-12-2019, 06:17
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Ta!

Stand back, I have political powers!