Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-05-2018, 21:45
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

No one here wants the band to mess up, not exactly sure where that realisation is coming from. Some people have different expectations for the band and are genuinely disappointed when the band don't meet them. These are also people who buy multiple copies of the album and go to multiple dates on a tour. I think people have better comments when they try to engage with what others say. We're all fans here.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 17-05-2018, 21:59
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Look, the Jools appearance sounded good. They presented themselves well. But this latest incarnation of the band with extra guitarists all at the front of stage and James playing less just doesn't sit right. I understand they want to replicate the sounds of the album, but James' playing is very particular and unique and it's a huge loss when other people are playing the trills and fills (and especially when they flub them like Wayne Murray on the verses on IB). I don't think it's unreasonable feeling that way at all.
Fully agree with all of this. I understand they need a backing guitarist for certain songs like LBN and ME for example, but Murray being allowed to jump around in Richey's spot does feel somewhat disrespectful. He's getting too big for his pink boots in my opinion.
Old 17-05-2018, 22:14
Winterlover

I don't think anyone does want them to mess up, quite the reverse, they have very high expectations and when you have those because you think a band is more than capable of meeting them then of course you're disappointed if they don't seem to have their heart in a performance but it's a TV show so they're not entirely in control and the cameras are right up close and maybe some viewers over analyse the bands mood/feelings? Possible?

Y2kyle16 who was at the show has said they did 3 songs from Resistance....we just need to wait till Sunday. The Tuesday live show are only broadcasting a couple from the headline band & I think the bands are being asked to do a revisit from an earlier appearance.....think Design was performed the first time they were on Jools (I'm guessing as Snow Patrol did a similar thing last week and there was a reference to how long it was since the Manics had first appeared) so I don't think they're neglecting their Resistance duties...
Sure we're all fans and we shouldn't agree on everything or anything maybe....but sometimes it feels like it all gets a bit over involved and people are loud with their opinions and not so engaging...

and if I may be brave and add claims that the band and/or their friends are being disrespectful to their friend Richey is disrespectful and I don't see the need
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 17-05-2018 at 22:17.
Old 18-05-2018, 11:52

In the past 77 pages I don't think anyone has commented how good the drumming is on the album. I'm not sure if I interpreted this correctly but I'm pretty sure James indicated that the drumming on international blue is from a live drum kit but performed in a way to make sound like it came from an electronic drum kit. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Old 18-05-2018, 12:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
In the past 77 pages I don't think anyone has commented how good the drumming is on the album. I'm not sure if I interpreted this correctly but I'm pretty sure James indicated that the drumming on international blue is from a live drum kit but performed in a way to make sound like it came from an electronic drum kit. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
I asked Sean about this on Twitter a few months ago and he said it was a combination of acoustic and electronic drums.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 18-05-2018, 12:39
Doors slowly closing

They’ve released a crap video for what some thought was the album’s best chance at a hit that has currently failed to pass 40,000 views on YouTube, which is awful by any standards.

They’ve followed that up by playing a 22 year old song on their biggest TV appearance of the year along with a song that was playlisted on the radio back in 2017.

These are not things that deserve praise.
Old 18-05-2018, 14:15
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
They’ve released a crap video for what some thought was the album’s best chance at a hit that has currently failed to pass 40,000 views on YouTube, which is awful by any standards.

They’ve followed that up by playing a 22 year old song on their biggest TV appearance of the year along with a song that was playlisted on the radio back in 2017.

It surely doesn't matter when International Blue came out, they're not really in the Singles game and IB sells the album, which is on sale. It would be odd not to play your strongest card.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 18-05-2018, 17:26
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
Down to number 70.

Although ouch for The Magic Numbers in at 55!
Old 18-05-2018, 17:47
Builder of routine

How big is the studio? Wide angle lenses make them seem a lot bigger than they are. Maybe there wasn't the space to push them back. James looking not interested might have been just live TV nerves. Dunno why they played ADFL but might be down to the first played on the show 22 years ago thing.
To be honest I'm not noticing James playing less guitar. I'm not a musician ... he still plays it a lot. He's not lazy, there's a reason for the changes. It all sounded fine to me at the gigs.
Old 18-05-2018, 18:04
Bored out of my mind

With regards to Wayne/Gavin in Richey’s spot, it must have been to do with the studio, because that definitely did not happen on the tour. They were nowhere near the front of the stage. I didn’t even notice Gavin playing guitar straight away on the first night of the tour, because he was so far to the side and the back. I understand being frustrated about a TV performance, but don’t think it’s fair to suggest the band are being disrespectful to Richey.
Old 18-05-2018, 18:57

To repeat Gavin And Wayne are further back than Richey's spot, you can tell by the position of the monitors in front of them. Albeit it's only a foot back where normally it's a few metres.

Old 18-05-2018, 19:28
Bored out of my mind

Tbh I didn’t even notice anything different; I was just responding to other comments here...but then I spend most Manics gigs/performances watching James
Old 18-05-2018, 20:18

A Manics gig lives or dies on how wellJames performs. While I'm not against a third guitarist taking the load off James, something in my core churns when I see James standing there with his guitar slumped to this side. I remember the JFPL tour where Nicky's back turned him into either into a miserable wreck or a drugged up looney. It was James who stepped his game up ten fold and gave a masterclass of what a front man should be. There's more energy in those spins than in the centre of the brightest star.

Old 18-05-2018, 21:17
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post

That's one way of looking at it.

The way I look at it they've release 3 excellent videos, the most recent of which is one of my favourite videos not just by Evans but covering the band's entire career. They also released 5 tracks as quasi-singles in an era where the traditional single doesn't really mean what it used to, done an extensive promotional campaign, and all that for a band on their 13th studio album (14th according to some, I'm looking at you Grauniad!) who stated eight years and three albums ago that Postcards From A Young Man was to be their "one last shot at mass communication" - so what, now we're meant to be surprised they don't release 6 singles on multiple physical formats and play all the other album tracks on TV?! It's not the 90s anymore. Even if they play songs from the 90s! Yeah, I realise I've undermined my own argument a bit there, what a shame, the paragraph was ok I thought...

Still, I can never really be mad at them playing A Design For Life. Even if I was surprised, like I said earlier. But yeah, I get that as uber-fans on an internet forum who have followed the band for decades (*suddenly feels very old*), we would have liked to have heard some tracks they haven't played like Sequels... or In Eternity etc. Maybe 'they' (indeterminate they) thought it acted as way to round off a night with numerous Welsh acts, playing the huge, Ivor Novello-winning hit on a muso show.

But I'm just happy my favourite band still making great music (and videos ) and appearing on TV at all.

Those are things that DO deserve praise, IMHO.

And I'm sure they weren't meaning to be disrespectful to the memory of Richey by having extra guitarists in slightly-too-advanced positions for some people's liking.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 18-05-2018, 22:23
Builder of routine

The idea that they're letting Wayne or anyone else take Richey's spot is just beyond ridiculous.