Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Journal For Plague Lovers now?
I still love it as much as I did originally 53 51.96%
It's grown even better with each new listen 43 42.16%
It hasn't held up to repeat listens 4 3.92%
Sorry, but I still don't get anything out of it 2 1.96%
I still haven't heard JFPL 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-12-2010, 11:05
I live to fall asleep

Still does it for me. After the first listen I declared (to a largely uninterested living room) that it was their greatest album and I stand by that now.
Old 15-12-2010, 11:33
Doors slowly closing

If you held a gun to my head and asked me to pick between JFPL and PFAYM, I'd pick JFPL. Equally, for JFPL and SATT, I'd go for JFPL without a moments hesitation.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 15-12-2010, 12:58
Doors slowly closing

I still love it a lot. To be making that kind of nosie on your 9th record is worthy of high praise indeed.

What's great is that it could have been awful and embarrasing and a terrible folly, but instead it was incredible, visceral, had a twisted sense humour and rocked hard when necessary.

That they followed it with the MOR bore-fest that is PFYAM makes me sad.
Old 15-12-2010, 14:45
Stretched out in the sun

Strangely enough, I've also been listening to JFPL today after a while. Absolute blinder of an album, just brilliant.
Old 15-12-2010, 16:38
Builder of routine

Ah it's just bloody amazing, I've relegated it to second after The Holy Bible but it's a very worthy second, it's a rare perfect album, I'd change nothing.
Old 15-12-2010, 16:40
Under neon loneliness

I prefer it to THB as i just can't into the frame of mind to listen to that sort of album now. My angst days are long gone thankfully!
Old 15-12-2010, 16:42
Winterlover

i still think it's fantastic. i don't listen to it much now though, although that's probably because i did so much when it came out.
Old 15-12-2010, 16:52
Doors slowly closing

They missed a really good opportunity to make a great live album cherry picking tracks from the 3 nights at the Roundhouse to have the album played live on one CD and then the hits on the second. I would've gone mental for something like that.
Old 15-12-2010, 18:03
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

A couple of tracks don't really work for me, but it's still my second favourite album and I still listen to it a lot, more than any other Manics album.

At times I think it's my favourite - THB just beats it because of the combination of music and lyrics, but JFPL is the better in terms of music, performance and production.

It'd probably be my favourite MSP album, but I just can't connect with most of the lyrics.

Agreed on the live album too.
Old 15-12-2010, 20:24
I live to fall asleep

I can never judge Manics albums properly while they're still the latest one, so this is a well-timed thread for me.

I still like the album a lot. It's a slightly strange beast - the couple of string-heavy tracks and the more glossy rock moments can sometimes distract from how heavy the album is at times, and as with most rock'n'roll it's at its best when it's rough and dirty.

For me then, the highlights are 'Peeled Apples', 'Journal', 'Marlon J.D.', 'All Is Vanity', 'Pretention/Repulsion' and 'Virginia State Epileptic Colony'. 'Jackie Collins' I find easy to listen to but don't understand why it's quite so popular. 'This Joke Sport Severed' is nice but the string section feels out of place (although it is a guilty pleasure). 'She Bathed...' has the right sound production-wise but slightly lacks the tune to go with it.

The weaker moments are the ok-but-shallow 'Me and Stephen Hawking', 'he dull 'Facing Page' and the dirge-y 'Doors Closing Slowly' (which is the one lyric to be really badly edited - one of the missed out verses is much better than one they used). 'William's Last Words' is good but the album version is the weakest of the three - both the demo and remix are better.

For ages I've been meaning to find the time to do a proper retrospective on the album, reviewing it track-by-track and including the demos, remixes and how the song worked live. No-one else is probably that interested though!

Overall I'd probably place it third in my list of Manics albums behind 'The Holy Bible' and 'Know Your Enemy' (the variety of which just bumps it in front) and in front of either 'Truth' or 'Postcards'.
Old 15-12-2010, 21:39
I live to fall asleep

still as much love <3

Old 15-12-2010, 22:14
Stretched out in the sun

The only album with consistently good Richey lyrics.

Also one of the best albums of the last 10 years in all forms.

The only bad tracks I can think of is Bath of Bleach (dull as feck, Nicky's demo was much better) and Peeled Apples (sounds like a stripped back NIN demo, James vocals are good on it but weak musically). To be fair they are more average than bad though so not a big issue.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 15-12-2010, 22:28
Builder of routine

Anyone who saw my earlier post which has now been deleted. Ignore it, I had a lapse of concentration and thought I had seen Postcards.
Old 15-12-2010, 22:45
Stretched out in the sun

I love it so much. I can't listen to it enough, it never gets boring. And if I don't listen to it for a while, and then remember its on my iPod, I get a huge rush of love all over again. The slower songs are heartbreaking, the faster songs are pounding. It's consistent. It actually gives off raw emotions left right and centre. There is nothing tacky, overdone, or underdone. It's my second favourite manics album; second to THB. but to be honest The Holy Bible is only in number 1 position due to nostalgia and memories of that part of my fandom rather than love of the album itself.
Old 15-12-2010, 23:41
I'm just a pasty

When I first listened to it, the first time I heard the tracks, I was like: 'This is my favourite song on the album'. The only one I haven't even listened to yet is Williams Last Words. Not because of the Wire vocal, just the sentiment. I skip it always. Don't know if I'll will ever get around to listening to it.

Might not be popular, but I love Peeled Apples. Especially for James' little throat clearing two thirds of the way in. Always gets me fired up for the walk home.

Love JPFL more than PFAYM.

Personally I feel JPFL sounds like a better album than THB: the band are a better band now, James and Sean are more accomplished and practiced musicians and composers and Nicky has developed considerably as both a lyricist and a bassist. This is musically better than THB (controversial and I expect to be flamed for it), while I think THB and JPFL are on a par, THB pips JPFL just marginally.

Love JPFL, but I'm glad the band did something lighter for their next album, doing two dark albums might have damaged them.