Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-10-2008, 19:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It's what they needed career wise
But that's got nothing to do with whether someone likes it or not.
Old 19-10-2008, 19:37
Bored out of my mind

Re: Son Of Stopped's pairings - I can't choose between most of them because I really love both songs! Autumnsong and Emigre is too hard to call!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 19-10-2008, 19:59
Doors slowly closing

I see TGW as just this perfect little album, great enjoyable music and lovely words. Fantastic.

SATT felt forced in parts, natural in others!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 19-10-2008, 22:01
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Here's the easier way to sort this!
Each track faces off the other.

In the left corner, TGW. In the right corner, SATT.

That's No Way To Tell A Lie vs. Send Away The Tigers
An English Gentleman vs. Underdogs
Bad Boys And Painkillers vs. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
On Saturday Morning We Will Rule The World vs. Indian Summer
Run Romeo Run vs. The Second Great Depression
Still A Long Way To Go vs. Rendition
Emigre vs. Autumnsong (tough choice this)
To See A Friend In Tears vs. I'm Just A Patsy
Say Hello To The Pope vs. Imperial Bodybags
The Wrong Beginning vs. Winterlovers
Which Way To Kyffin vs. er...Working Class Hero.

So SATT wins 6-5!
judging it like that i think i prefer TGW I prefer To See a Friend in Tears and Still a long way to Go
Old 19-10-2008, 23:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
judging it like that i think i prefer TGW I prefer To See a Friend in Tears and Still a long way to Go
Thats the thing, I think the songs are more honest really, SATT would have benefitted from a song like Still a Long Way to Go, TSGD is good but I think Still...edges it in the moody ballad stakes.

SATT has its moments but its just a bit clumsy in places, as has been said its a bit forced, its largely an obvious attempt to shine up their past/reclaim chart glory. But doesn't really do either really successfully. Only YLALINE got anywhere chart wise(and I'm not even particularly keen on it as a single) Ok the album did better sales wise than Lifeblood, but is it a better album?I respect the fact that they've always wanted to reach a wider audience but I think there's a lot to be said for just making the music you want to make and seeing how the chips fall especially once you get into/or near your forties.
Old 20-10-2008, 05:46
Bored out of my mind

As I said earlier I think SATT is a fun record, don't understand why Autumnsong and Indian Summer didn't chart better but that's the British Public for you!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-10-2008, 09:48
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
An English Gentleman vs. Underdogs!
an incredible choice

well maybe I'm too sentimental, but I will always love SATT because it's my first Manics' album, well because of it I began to be interested in a band.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFlowerBill View Post
Thats the thing, I think the songs are more honest really, SATT would have benefitted from a song like Still a Long Way to Go,

I respect the fact that they've always wanted to reach a wider audience but I think there's a lot to be said for just making the music you want to make and seeing how the chips fall especially once you get into/or near your forties.
I think that SATT was the album they wanted to make, in their typical reactionary way they went away from understated style of Lifeblood and went for all out widescreen rock.

However all that said, The Great Western is probably the better album. This is mainly due to the lyrics being far better than those on SATT. The reason they lyrics are better for me is, as you say, because they appear much more honest and engaging. As for the songs, both albums have standout songs, but the fact that the lyrics seem so unstifled on Jamses album give more of a sense of freedom than any of the liberation aspired to on Tigers.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:34
Doors slowly closing

For me, TGW is miles better than SATT. I've lost count of how many times i played TGW but i could count on one hand the number of times i've listened to SATT.

I never got into IKTZ at all, so that's the worst of the three for me. SATT has nothing to keep my interest at all...it's all far too obvious and the lyrics make me cringe at times. It reminds me of the darkness in places

(I loved the darkness, but that's not the point!)
Old 20-10-2008, 12:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I agree, but then again Pedestal is better than most tracks combined on Send Away the Tigers.
Agree - i LOVE Pedestal

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
I think that SATT was the album they wanted to make, in their typical reactionary way they went away from understated style of Lifeblood and went for all out widescreen rock.

However all that said, The Great Western is probably the better album. This is mainly due to the lyrics being far better than those on SATT. The reason they lyrics are better for me is, as you say, because they appear much more honest and engaging. As for the songs, both albums have standout songs, but the fact that the lyrics seem so unstifled on Jamses album give more of a sense of freedom than any of the liberation aspired to on Tigers.
Yep that pretty much sums up how I feel about the two albums - you have such good ways of explaining everything (and great taste in music too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlover666 View Post
For me, TGW is miles better than SATT. I've lost count of how many times i played TGW but i could count on one hand the number of times i've listened to SATT.

I never got into IKTZ at all, so that's the worst of the three for me. SATT has nothing to keep my interest at all...it's all far too obvious and the lyrics make me cringe at times. It reminds me of the darkness in places

(I loved the darkness, but that's not the point!)
What!??! How...I want to know know. I love a couple of songs from IKTZ (mostly Break My Heart Slowly), but yeah the album as a whole does make me cringe - due to the bits the copy the manics themes relly, although i suppose that was inevitable as he writes most of the lyrics for that!
Old 20-10-2008, 12:42
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by live to fall asleep View Post
Yep that pretty much sums up how I feel about the two albums - you have such good ways of explaining everything (and great taste in music too )
Heartiest of thanks! I often babble shit so it's nice to know things can make sense to others from time to time. According to the Currently Listening thread you're taste isn't so shabby either!
Old 20-10-2008, 14:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Heartiest of thanks! I often babble shit so it's nice to know things can make sense to others from time to time. According to the Currently Listening thread you're taste isn't so shabby either!
aww thanks, I tend to listen to what I like and then listen to that all the time (eg. jimmy eat world didn't leave my cd player for about 2 weeks constantly.) Randomly, this site has probably exposed me to more music than anything else...also the manics with their references to other bands. It's always interesting to hear what other bands people like.
Old 20-10-2008, 20:20
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFlowerBill View Post
I respect the fact that they've always wanted to reach a wider audience but I think there's a lot to be said for just making the music you want to make and seeing how the chips fall especially once you get into/or near your forties.
Agreed. I'd hate to see them obsessing about reaching the top of the charts but i guess once you've had a taste of it you want it back despite what Nicky said about not feeling comfortable when they're too popular
Old 24-10-2008, 12:29
I live to fall asleep

I love certain parts of TGW and particularly when it is stripped back and vulnerable. But I also think that Nicky made a superior album with IKTZ. I agree with other people about it feeling as if he was less constrained and that he felt a certain amount of freedom; the lyrics and the style really suited him. I hope both Nicky and James can combine the best of both solo pieces and SATT and make an incredible album that is not a poor imitation of THB. Much as I love THB I don't want a re-run just for the sake of it.
Old 24-10-2008, 13:52
Builder of routine

"The Great Western is better than SATT"

It sure is.
Quote:
That's No Way To Tell A Lie vs. Send Away The Tigers
An English Gentleman vs. Underdogs
Bad Boys And Painkillers vs. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough - both so shit!!!
On Saturday Morning We Will Rule The World vs. Indian Summer
Run Romeo Run vs. The Second Great Depression
Still A Long Way To Go vs. Rendition
Emigre vs. Autumnsong (tough choice this - not really)
To See A Friend In Tears vs. I'm Just A Patsy
Say Hello To The Pope vs. Imperial Bodybags
The Wrong Beginning vs. Winterlovers
Which Way To Kyffin vs. er...Working Class Hero.

Last edited by Slideling; 24-10-2008 at 14:07.