Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-03-2020, 10:51
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
I think Journal just pips it for me because the quality control was better but I was thinking the other day that remembering the moment that the manics.co.uk website turned black with the lightning flashes and the solo from Intravenous Agnostic playing still gives me goosebumps.

When they then updated it to include snatches of lyrics too I can remember thinking this is going to be a weird one (Kleenex towels? Teletext? Haile Gebresilase? Beastie Boys ?) and it was! It's easy to forget just how (intentionally) bland they had become during the TIMTTMY era and this really blew that all apart.

Work experience kid played a blinder that day.
To this day I've never forgotten about the website loading up like that with the thunderclouds and the solo blasting out, it was soooo cool!! Shame the website these days is pretty poor, I just checked it out now.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:11
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
To this day I've never forgotten about the website loading up like that with the thunderclouds and the solo blasting out, it was soooo cool!! Shame the website these days is pretty poor, I just checked it out now.
The early 00s was the golden age of band websites in my opinion. I miss the old internet.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:58
Stretched out in the sun

Course I'll buy it, I'll buy any reissue that gets put out. Come to think of it Damaged Goods are long overdue another New Art Riot.

Eh, I'm more keen for a follow up to Resistance Is Futile that excites me rather than another reissue. Quite surprised they're up for this one, not sure how much demand there'll be for it. I love it but I wouldn't put it in me top 5 Manics albums. Probably wouldn't have in 2001 either actually lol. I mean here, we're hardcore fans, I don't know the figures of the last few reissues or what they'd expect from this but they must think it's viable. Commercially it was the start of a fairly steep decline in popularity, eh maybe we're enough for it to be worthwhile.

If that is the case, I'll be gutted if this is where the reissues end. Give me Lifeblood and Journal and take my money. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't happen though, they're the two albums of their whole back catalogue that they seem keen to distance themselves from. Probably be a bit stuck for any reissues after Journal seeing as they all had the demos on the deluxe editions.

Content wise, demos are always interesting to listen to. Eh, there are a few cassette, vinyl and promo only tracks that'd be good to get onto an official cd. Can't see em chucking a dvd in there unless they try to get away with Louder Than War.
Old 19-03-2020, 19:58
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Yup, the official website who's latest picture, advertised at the top of the page, is announcing the imminent arrival of...... Futurology which came out six years ago.

The lists section is pretty interesting. Shame there haven't been any new ones in eleven years!
Old 19-03-2020, 22:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
It really benefits from the album being released after Lipstick Traces, meaning all the b-sides ended up on the second disc. If it doesn't get a deluxe version then the Japanese one is certainly satisfying enough a release, especially with the amount of booklets it comes with. One of my most played Manics CDs.
Didn't realise I was going to get a whopping customs charge when it arrived in the UK, but it was worth it. I can't say Lifeblood is one of my favourite Manics albums (although I do love some of the songs on there and the general wintery feel of the album), but the Japanese version of Lifeblood is one of my favourite Manics possessions.
Old 20-03-2020, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Probably be a bit stuck for any reissues after Journal seeing as they all had the demos on the deluxe editions.
The deluxe edition of Journal had demos too. I can't see much after Lifeblood getting the treatment really. It would be nice to get a Postcards set with all the b-sides on, as there are a lot in that era, but otherwise there's actually very little else to come out, other than digital-only remixes, promo edits, the odd Japanese bonus track. The Rewind the Film / Futurology era b-sides would barely fill a CD.

There's certainly enough commercial interest in KYE for a deluxe reissue, it reached number 2 in the album chart and caught the band at the start of a decline, but still in the public consciousness. In comparison, Idlewild's 100 Broken Windows only reached 15 in the album chart and got a 2CD reissue a few years ago. Laid by James reached number 3 in the chart and got a 4CD release in a 12" box with a lengthy book and a pack of memorabilia including posters and badges. Underworld's Second Toughest in the Infants only got to number 9 and had a similar 4CD 12" boxset remastered version a couple of years ago. So KYE is definitely a strong contender.
Old 20-03-2020, 14:05
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
There's certainly enough commercial interest in KYE for a deluxe reissue, it reached number 2 in the album chart and caught the band at the start of a decline, but still in the public consciousness. In comparison, Idlewild's 100 Broken Windows only reached 15 in the album chart and got a 2CD reissue a few years ago. Laid by James reached number 3 in the chart and got a 4CD release in a 12" box with a lengthy book and a pack of memorabilia including posters and badges. Underworld's Second Toughest in the Infants only got to number 9 and had a similar 4CD 12" boxset remastered version a couple of years ago. So KYE is definitely a strong contender.
Will wince in advance, but have you got the price differences between each of those?
Old 20-03-2020, 15:33

I think the James and Underworld ones were about £50 on release. Idlewild's was pretty much normal album price, maybe a touch more at around £15?
Kind of puts the GATS price to shame.
Old 20-03-2020, 21:46
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Yup, the official website who's latest picture, advertised at the top of the page, is announcing the imminent arrival of...... Futurology which came out six years ago.
There's also news that they're playing a festival that isn't happening (this year, at least)
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 20-03-2020, 22:30
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
There's also news that they're playing a festival that isn't happening (this year, at least)
They just can't get the Work Experience Kid any more.
Old 21-03-2020, 20:06

Very very pleased to know that KYE will get a much deserved re-release. It's still the rawest and freshest of all the albums. I really enjoyed this Cuban period of the band. It's my favourite album. To me it summed up what the Manics really wanted to sound like as a rock/punk band. The album also marks that point where it felt as if it was only real fans that were going to continue supporting this band. Many fans seemed to stop being fans after the release of KEY, well it felt that way in my city at the time.

I really do hope it is a quality re-release. As mentioned by others the Truth re-release was somewhat disappointing. Please no more demos. They just become quick album fillers with little appeal. For a DVD there must be lots of cutting room floor film that could be used perhaps?

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 21-03-2020, 21:43
Builder of routine

I was thinking what if for authentic completion of the two different albums it became necessary for album track, b-side and even a demo of an undeveloped further song to be side by side after each other?
Locust Valley and Pedestal would probably be on the more Punk side. Alongside stuff like Intravenous Agnostic and My Guernica. I mean the price tag is writing itself for me and I've no input and it'll be ages before it ever gets released.
I'm hoping whatever we get we come away from thinking "KYE period was their best!".
Old 23-03-2020, 13:46
Bored of being bored

Part 1
1. Found That Soul
2. Intravenous Agnostic
3. Pedestal
4. Locust Valley
5. Wattsville Blues
6. Ballad of the Bangkok Novotel
7. Dead Martyrs
8. Little Trolls
9. The Convalescent
10. Just A Kid
11. My Guernica
12. Freedom Of Speech
13. The Masses Against The Classes

Part 2
1. So Why So Sad
2. Miss Europa Disco Dancer
3. Let Robeson Sing
4. Masking Tape
5. The Year of Purification
6. Ocean Spray
7. His Last Painting
8. Epicentre
9. Groundhog Days
10. Fear of Motion
11. Baby Elian
12. So Why So Sad - Avalanches
Hidden track: royal correspondent

I only left out "didnt my lord deliver daniel". Both track 12's are kinda like bonus tracks. You can swap a couple of tracks here and there but overall i think these two would be fantastic on their own as well.

the KYE bsides were fantastic in my opinion. Not a single weak one. Even the remixes were really good.

Last edited by ForeverDelayed.com; 23-03-2020 at 15:13. Reason: Added missing tracks
Old 23-03-2020, 14:20
I live to fall asleep

Absolutely guaranteed that the Avalanches mix replaces the original SWSS mix.
Old 23-03-2020, 14:30
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Absolutely guaranteed that the Avalanches mix replaces the original SWSS mix.

Think so? I love so why so sad, but it does sound like a 64KBPS MP3 that you downloaded from limewire. Which sounds like it was recorded off a bad stream straight to a cassette. And then ripped to MP3 using a Nokia 8810.