Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-06-2015, 21:46
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
How does Sean Moore put up with this troglodyte?
Sean's love of all things tech more than makes up for James' inability to leave the 19th century.
Old 11-06-2015, 21:47
Stretched out in the sun

Luddite life is kinda peaceful.
Old 11-06-2015, 21:58
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPSTICK TЯACES View Post
I used to be that person I actually never joined fb myself, a friend made my account, added some friends and told me the password LOL

There exists someone who doesn't have a mobile phone?
I don't have a mobile phone.
Old 11-06-2015, 22:27
Bored out of my mind

I love how old-fashioned James is; it's so rare these days and I swear he lives in another dimension But it's what makes him him and I can't help but respect that
Old 12-06-2015, 00:26
I am purity, they call me perverted

Well maybe he's keeping Royal Mail in business. I suppose they just pop into Faster studios whenever they like.

I don't have a Facebook page. I have no interest in it at all. I've probably missed out on many social gatherings because of that, but then you really need to have a few friends to have on your Facebook page, so then it wouldn't work for me. I'm with James on that one. Even cantankerous Morrissey has a cellphone, but denies owning one.

I wonder if James has a ATM card (cash machine card), or does he prefer lining up at the bank to get his money out? Nicky is of course scared of cash machines.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:32
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
I respect James, or anyone else, for their choice to live with least computer technology possible (even though these people often end up depending on someone with equipment and knowledge to do their work done, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing),I myself don't have a Facebook neither Twitter, I considered opening the accounts when I get at the point I'd eventually really need them, but I still haven't - point is, I don't need them.

But all the technophobia thing is just as problematic as excessive computer usage or whatever. Technology itself is not the problem, it's the big companies that hijacked technology for their own profit, and the beaurocratic systems taking advantage over it for complete control, rather than for the good of society. Which is a shame, because with the computer technology we have today, with just a little more knowledge and open source (either open software or "open hardware"), we could as well free ourselves into an autonomous society that has no needs of beaurocracies and governments.

Tesla was the proof example of what I'm talking about.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:07
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post

One of my best friends keeps resisting the mobile phone. It is very irritating. When you say you will meet them at 2pm you have to be there at 2pm!
Sounds like a great idea

I confess, my mobile is for my convenience only. I carry it if I'm going to be away from home, or if I'm not sure what time I'll be home. Most of the time it's not even charged. In fact, most of the time I don't even know where it is. About seven years ago I left it in the pocket of a summer jacket and didn't find it again for about two months. I didn't really miss it.

I used it more when it had push buttons, I find the touch screen very hard to deal with (I'm dyspraxic) and since my eyesight deteriorated I have to be wearing my glasses to see the screen.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:13
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

I used it more when it had push buttons, I find the touch screen very hard to deal with (I'm dyspraxic) and since my eyesight deteriorated I have to be wearing my glasses to see the screen.
I got my first smartphone recently also got a new iPod not so long ago, and the biggest thing that irks me is that they don't use buttons. My iPod especially, as even if it's the slightest drizzle outside, you can't use it at all.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:46
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
even if it's the slightest drizzle outside, you can't use it at all.
I know! Talk about a design flaw! In Ireland!!!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:05
Winterlover

Personally I admire those that can see through technology and can function without it. In my opinion, technology has brought many things closer to home for people to learn things. Open sourcing stuff is good to a point, and certain apects of promotion and middle management have been obliterated. On the flipside, you have to know how to manage it as an individual.

The amount of "I left Facebook/Twitter/Internet and didn't lose my soul" articles around might be beginning to show that we've all been staring into the fridge without knowing why we were there to some extent. I think in the next decade people will be less likely to be suckered in by the promise of tech and will use it more sustainably.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 12-06-2015 at 12:28.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'm another who has not long ventured into the world of the smart phone. My first I broke pretty quickly but it was so cheap I just got another basic one. FB is as far as I go for socials. I use Twitter to stalk bands as you can set up mobile text alerts when they tweet about stuff you might want to know about quickly, but no friends know who I am on there as I jsut want to keep it for this purpose. Friends are now hassling me about Whatsapp. I'm not even 100% sure what it is but i'm pretty sure a mobile and FB is all that is needed for communication!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:33
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
... with the computer technology we have today, with just a little more knowledge and open source (either open software or "open hardware"), we could as well free ourselves into an autonomous society that has no needs of beaurocracies and governments
Sometimes more technology = less freedom. NSA tracking people left and right, taking away their privacy. Targeted advertising, censorship, SEO and all that crap.

Cloud didn't make us free either. Apple, Google or Microsoft can delete your account anytime they want and all your data goes to hell.
Old 12-06-2015, 13:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Personally I admire those that can see through technology and can function without it. In my opinion, technology has brought many things closer to home for people to learn things. Open sourcing stuff is good to a point, and certain apects of promotion and middle management have been obliterated. On the flipside, you have to know how to manage it as an individual.

The amount of "I left Facebook/Twitter/Internet and didn't lose my soul" articles around might be beginning to show that we've all been staring into the fridge without knowing why we were there to some extent. I think in the next decade people will be less likely to be suckered in by the promise of tech and will use it more sustainably.
I personally just find it a bit OTT...do or don't use technology, but the people who make such a big deal about leaving it, it seems just a bit silly. We've always had technological development and we adapt. I don't see why people can't just use what technology benefits them without a fuss - I see no reason to let emails or smartphones take over your life, but I see no good reason to actively avoid them as if they were evil either....Personally I have only just got a smart phone, and I'm beginning to find it really useful, whether it be google maps or train tickets or photos or whatever, but i don't see some virtue about being able to function without it - what's the point?
Old 12-06-2015, 13:50
Doors slowly closing

I don't see anything positive or especially laudable about not having an email address. Email is good, it helps us communicate. Same with mobile phones.
Old 12-06-2015, 14:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
but i don't see some virtue about being able to function without it - what's the point?
I won't make the argument myself, but it is interesting non the less. Some say that instead of using things like Google maps (which lets face it is bloody useful) increases brain function, which is a good thing, and that certain digital dependencies reduces attention spans and the ability to think. I'm not saying it's true, but from a personal level I always feel a hell of a lot more "clear" when my internet use is minimal rather than moment filling, and I have done both. As I say, no right or wrong, but quite interesting.

I certainly didn't make a big deal about leaving a certain social site, I quite enjoyed the abrupt ending actually