Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 19:31
Bored out of my mind

Listening to my copy right now! I'll let you know how I feel about the entire thing but loving it so far! (Of course!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-07-2014, 19:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
My first impressions are that 'Sex, Power, Love & Money' is far and away the weakest track on the album, but it's so fucking funny I can't bring myself to dislike it!
Would LOVE to see it played live!!
Old 07-07-2014, 19:41
Doors slowly closing

I want a MSP first for them to perform an instrumental live. Ill stake everything on the fact that they wont, but how awesome would that be? Probably too scared people will go to the bar.
Old 07-07-2014, 19:45
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
I want a MSP first for them to perform an instrumental live. Ill stake everything on the fact that they wont, but how awesome would that be? Probably too scared people will go to the bar.
They definitely should do that! Probably won't like they won't ever perform All We Make Is Entertainment live, silly boys!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-07-2014, 20:01
I live to fall asleep

My copy arrived from Amazon today,the free mp3 rip was on my amazon player when i got up and the deluxe edition was waiting for me when i got home from work just now

The hard copy is still sealed but with the extra tracks on the second disc im not sure how long it will remain sealed !!!
Old 07-07-2014, 20:06
Bored out of my mind

Futurology sounds like Stormy Weather by Echo & The Bunnymen by the way! All good though!
Old 07-07-2014, 20:16
I live to fall asleep

First listen;

loved most of the first half of the album (including the endearingly bonkers 'Sex, Power, Love and Money') except 'Divine Youth', and 'Futurology' which sounded a little under-powered compared to the live version. Side B lacked the edge, with only 'Misguided Missile' standing out - although even there, the chorus didn't fit the verses, in fact they stopped the song dead when the momentum had been building. 'Stow Hill' was ok, but sabotaged by the album's worst lyric. Enjoyed all three extra tracks, especially 'Empty Motorcade'.

I don't expect my first impression of an album to be my lasting one, and once I'm used to the idea of what an album *is* rather than what I thought it might be, I give it a fairer hearing.

Second listen;

Much better all round. 'Divine Youth' made sense, 'Black Square' is still a bit ordinary but redeemed by the way it escalates at the end, love the 'ahhh's on 'Between', and the verse/chorus contrast on 'Misguided' really resolved itself. And it sounds like A-ha.

Only two listens as my pre-order only arrived today, when they normally arrive on the Saturday before release.

Best tracks;
'Let's Go To War', 'Europa Geht Durch Mich' (which sounds so much better on vinyl than as a download) and 'Misguided Missile'.

Best lyric;

'Working class skeletons / Lie Scattered in museums / And all the false economies / Speak falsely of your dreams'

Best thing about the album;

That I think it's a 'grow-er' not a 'show-er' and will get better with each listen. Oh, and all the weird ideas in it and other intellectual stuff.

Last edited by Phil C; 07-07-2014 at 21:03.
Old 07-07-2014, 20:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEdmonds View Post
Would LOVE to see it played live!!
They should open with it! Imagine that!
Old 07-07-2014, 21:02
Doors slowly closing

The first batch of the all-important Amazon customer reviews are in.

Quote:
No Autorip for CD2 available. This is the second time in a week that this has happened. Amazom, get your act together.
1/5
Old 07-07-2014, 21:05
Stretched out in the sun

The person spelled 'Amazon' incorrectly. His treasures were unsatisfactory.
Old 07-07-2014, 21:20
Winterlover

I listened to it again today for the fourth time and my reaction is still essentially this: NOPE.
Old 07-07-2014, 21:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
So i was just down the gym this evening and decided to put LGTW on, i couldn't be arsed to stop running and change it so left the album going...
Funny, I was gonna post something along that line just now (except for the fact that I loved it right away). I went for a run earlier on, and the album was perfect for that and for my pace, with a couple of exceptions (Divine Youth is a bit too slow, obviously). Have to admit, though, that I particularly liked SPLAM in this context. Good rhythm, gets you going.

Nevertheless, I noticed that listening to the album on my Ipod in public was not a very good idea. I only just managed to surpress the urge to sing along loudly and belt out my favourite lyrics...

Which reminds me... I love Misguided Missile, absolutely love it, but I can't see myself singing along to the chorus when/if they play it live. I just don't get over the "Schaden freud" line. The right word/spelling is "Schadenfreude", and you pronounce the last "e" ("SchadenfreudE"), James doesn't, which just sounds really really odd to me. So I just feel kinda stupid singing it the way he does (which doesn't keep me from doing it, of course). ;-)
Old 07-07-2014, 21:30
Doors slowly closing

i paid £1 more for it the special edition than that twat Franny did on that internet thing, and i also only got it today on the day that the band said i should have it, not on Friday due to a statistical quirk of Royal Mail.

i think that makes me £1 and some 72 hours more of a Manics fan than that twat Franny is.

what do i think of the album? no idea, no means to play it right now, will have a listen on the walkman on the bus tomorrow.
blog
Old 07-07-2014, 21:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
The first batch of the all-important Amazon customer reviews are in.

1/5
none of The Beatles albums i bought off of amazon were available for auto rip. i had no idea at all that this meant they were shit.
blog
Old 07-07-2014, 21:37
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee View Post
Funny, I was gonna post something along that line just now (except for the fact that I loved it right away). I went for a run earlier on, and the album was perfect for that and for my pace, with a couple of exceptions (Divine Youth is a bit too slow, obviously). Have to admit, though, that I particularly liked SPLAM in this context. Good rhythm, gets you going.

Nevertheless, I noticed that listening to the album on my Ipod in public was not a very good idea. I only just managed to surpress the urge to sing along loudly and belt out my favourite lyrics...

Which reminds me... I love Misguided Missile, absolutely love it, but I can't see myself singing along to the chorus when/if they play it live. I just don't get over the "Schaden freud" line. The right word/spelling is "Schadenfreude", and you pronounce the last "e" ("SchadenfreudE"), James doesn't, which just sounds really really odd to me. So I just feel kinda stupid singing it the way he does (which doesn't keep me from doing it, of course). ;-)
I also listened to it a the gym while going for a run. Europa and Walk Me to the Bridge were brilliant for running to do wee sprints as was Misguided Missile. Moscow was good for bringing down the tempo slightly. Divine Youth and The View From Stow Hill got skipped