Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 15:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
think it might've been verbal but i'm not sure it was that simple.. Elizabeth did explain earlier in the thread but i'm not sure what page
From earlier in this thread:
We had several meetings with different people in various interested departments at Sony in which we were assured that they wanted to see this film get made and released, and that they would accommodate our need to pay the rights out of the film's income. We were told that the various Sony interests would have to get together and work out terms of the deal amongst each other, then they would sign a deal with us before the film was ready for release. Given that we had the band on board and had already invested a great deal of money and time in the film, there wasn't much that we could do other than continue [with the film's production].

By "interested departments at Sony," I am referring to the fact that the publishing rights, the footage rights and the rights to master recordings are all held by different Sony companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Pistoldinner View Post
How much do they need? What about fan funding? People chip in and get a credit or a DVD or whatever depending on how much they put in, and voila - le film is made!
We have already explored the possibilities of doing this, and it is not cost-effective. The amount of money we could expect to net doing this would not be sufficient to advance the production, and would require too much of an investment of money, time and resources that we are already employing elsewhere in our efforts to raise funds.
Old 07-11-2010, 15:12
Builder of routine

thanks my memory isnt very good these days
Old 07-11-2010, 15:41
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
From earlier in this thread:
We had several meetings with different people in various interested departments at Sony in which we were assured that they wanted to see this film get made and released, and that they would accommodate our need to pay the rights out of the film's income. We were told that the various Sony interests would have to get together and work out terms of the deal amongst each other, then they would sign a deal with us before the film was ready for release. Given that we had the band on board and had already invested a great deal of money and time in the film, there wasn't much that we could do other than continue [with the film's production].

By "interested departments at Sony," I am referring to the fact that the publishing rights, the footage rights and the rights to master recordings are all held by different Sony companies.

We have already explored the possibilities of doing this, and it is not cost-effective. The amount of money we could expect to net doing this would not be sufficient to advance the production, and would require too much of an investment of money, time and resources that we are already employing elsewhere in our efforts to raise funds.
Is there any hope Elizabeth?

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 21-12-2010, 23:35
Freed from the century

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i just found this:

https://sheffdocfest.com/films/show/4639/

Is it going to be shown at the next Sheffield film festival?

Cheers,
Nozzer

JDB = legend
Old 22-12-2010, 01:19
Bored of being bored

that would be great news!

But what about the DVD for us non UK residents bla bla bla... ?!
Old 22-12-2010, 02:46
Freed from the century

No, sorry, that Sheffield screening took place in 2008. Also, before you ask, I'm worse than sorry that I still have no news about the release of the film. I will say that we are working on it and making progress. My dream that some day you'll get to see this film and I'll get to get on with my life is very much alive.
Old 22-12-2010, 03:17
Freed from the century

^ Aw, well I'm glad to hear there's still progress being made — I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you (and everyone else involved in the film) to keep being held back like this. Wishing you all the best!
Old 22-12-2010, 07:29
I live to fall asleep

Chances of seeing it before next Christmas?

Old 22-12-2010, 11:50
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Chances of seeing it before next Christmas?
Er, she just just explained the situation. She's not in a position to be giving out arbitary time-scales.

I have been to Hell and back and let me tell you it was wonderful.

I'm building bonfires of my vanities and doubts to get warm
Just like everybody else
Old 22-12-2010, 18:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkid View Post
Er, she just just explained the situation. She's not in a position to be giving out arbitary time-scales.
Er, it was a rhetorical question about how long it's been taking and still looks to take.

Old 22-12-2010, 19:15
Freed from the century

Did it get shown in the end? or did you have to pull out or something Elizabeth, because i cant remember it being mentioned that it has been screened?

Once again, good luck Elizabeth

JDB = legend
Old 22-12-2010, 19:36
Under neon loneliness

A trailer was screened at the Sheffield doc festival, and quite a few FD people went to see it. I think there's probably a thread somewhere about it.

It was a great taster for the film, and Elizabeth & Kurt gots lots of great feedback from the audience.
Old 22-12-2010, 21:43
Knowlede Is Power

I kinda wish I didn't know about it
Watching the awesome trailers on youtube get me all excited for seemingly nothing!
I truly hope we get to see it one day.
Old 22-12-2010, 21:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

Every time that I read anything about this, I instantly think: they soooooooo should have called it 'No Manicfesto' - but maybe that's just my love of bad puns.
Old 23-12-2010, 02:23
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
A trailer was screened at the Sheffield doc festival, and quite a few FD people went to see it. I think there's probably a thread somewhere about it.

It was a great taster for the film, and Elizabeth & Kurt gots lots of great feedback from the audience.
Actually, the 2008 Sheffield screening wasn't a trailer, it was the first full-length cut of the film as a work in progress. A lot of the material in that first cut made it to the final cut, but with a substantially different presentation and a lot more footage and information. We did indeed get a lot of good feedback at that screening, and incorporated pretty much all of it.

In 2006 there was a screening of about 45 minutes' worth of edited scenes at the Cardiff Screen Festival.

Oh, and the chances of seeing it by next Christmas are better than 50-50%