Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-03-2020, 12:31
I am purity, they call me perverted

Our coverage of The Holy Bible starts today!
Old 23-03-2020, 18:16
Knowlede Is Power

Nice one - I've been looking forward to this. Good timing as well. I've recently been watching / listening to Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave. on a loop! Will check it out later or tomorrow.
Old 25-03-2020, 22:01
Winterlover

I enjoyed listening to your passion for this album and that, along with the pod in general, has reminded me why i fell in love with this band in the first place. The album opened up a big old can of issues though huh? As it should, i suppose, but it's not easy to get into so i'm not surprised rob'tman didn't, i didn't myself for several listens. It's an uneasy, off-kilter, discordant thing that you need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle, once it does work its way in though then it really latches on and won't let go. I don't think it's at all boring musically, it's not as polished (the US mix proves it shouldn't be, though i love the version of she is suffering) but there's so much going on. I think the studio they recorded it at has long been torn down as well, which feels somewhat appropriate.

The release of this is fascinating, i mean it comes out at the height of britpop from a band dressed in military gear and an album full of songs of humanity at its absolute worst. They're surrounded by bands singing about wanting to get high and not giving two fucks about anything other than where the next spliff is coming from. I love the idea that Yes (MSP - the band that likes to say YES. 100% artificial insincere hypocritical guarantee) was potentially going to be a single.

Where do you really stop covering this album though? I fully appreciate why you wanted to go over it line by line as it feels like that's what it deserves yet you're aware this two part pod is barely scratching the surface; i seem to remember reading about the full page ads just reprinting the lyrics. You could quite easily write a thesis on the album and people have - triptych, the book of essays, being a good starting point.

Couple things i picked up on.

On the issue of an intervention, i'm pretty sure the band spoke to richey about removing himself from touring and whatnot and just focusing on writing lyrics but richey was against that. Until it eventually got so serious he had to be checked in and i think that reading festival clip i linked to last time was without richey onstage for the first time, no wonder james is so antagonistic.

The other thing is giving due credit to sean for the musicianship, i was glad to hear you bring that up but too often james has been credited with all of it.

Looking forward to the next part.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 25-03-2020, 22:33

Slightly off topic. What happened to that chap who was reviewing all the MSP songs. Andy? Andy Johnson? He was reviewing them about 18 months ago to two years and then stopped before completing the catalogue of releases. He was quite good with his links to references in songs.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 01-04-2020, 18:05
Born to end

I’ve just caught up with this podcast and I’m now half way through THB pt 1 episode. The expression “grimagery” quite made me chuckle out running tonight.

I’m liking it more and more. I must confess that when I first heard it I did wonder why the BBC had commissioned the younger members of The Archers cast to do a podcast about a band only one of them seemed to have heard of. Got over that though, and now really enjoying it, especially now that the er, bantz, has been dialled down a bit.

So thanks Chieftan Mews for your efforts. It’s appreciated.

But have a word about about Roses in the Hospital. Everyone knows that it is a)one of the best songs on GATS b) not sexy c)Bowie’s Sound and Vision in a wig
Old 02-04-2020, 06:38

Thank you all for your kind words and input so far!

Have to say that the "bantz" being dialled down wasnt a conscious effort on our part. You're still listening to episodes we banked before releasing anything. Also, Roses in the Hospital is VERY sexy.

Covering the Holy Bible has been an odd one. Difficult to find light in the darkness. And I think my co-hosts polarized reaction to it is the perfect justification for having non-Manics fans as hosts. It's been really fun to go through the album with them and see what they respond to that I don't, and vice versa. Has definitely prompted a lot of discussion, including on our own mental health and how music can affect it. Second part on Monday!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:40
Doors slowly closing

Still really enjoying this, many thanks to the big mates!

I found the Lighthouse Family bonus ep hilarious.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 02-04-2020, 14:39
Knowlede Is Power

The lighthouse family bonus ep was hilarious! Please don't dial down the bantz.
Old 04-04-2020, 22:08
Winterlover

What did i just listen to?

The isolation is clearly having a disastrous effect on this lot's sanity.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:13
Born to end

As much as Lucas' disliking of The Holy Bible (musically) frustrates me, I do recall how jarring I found it the first time I listened to it. I also remember wishing the production wasn't as harsh sounding. Of course, within a month it became my favourite album.

I'm especially looking forward to Lucas' inevitable appreciation of Everything Must Go.

Perhaps he will be the equivalent of the 90s newbie fan who fell for the Manics post-EMG??

Maybe not but I predict he gives it at least an 8 out of 10.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:05
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

A new member! Welcome!

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 07-04-2020, 10:14
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
A new member! Welcome!
Thank you!
Old 07-04-2020, 11:33

Edinburgh Usher Hall - 30th May 2015
Glasgow Hydro - 21st May 2016
Glasgow Hydro - 25th April 2018
Edinburgh Usher Hall - 26th May 2019
Glasgow Barrowlands - 5th October 2021
Edinburgh Castle - 10th July 2024

Last edited by CraigFairlie; 17-12-2020 at 20:00. Reason: Changed Views
Old 07-04-2020, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaerphillyCheese View Post
As much as Lucas' disliking of The Holy Bible (musically) frustrates me, I do recall how jarring I found it the first time I listened to it. I also remember wishing the production wasn't as harsh sounding. Of course, within a month it became my favourite album.

I'm especially looking forward to Lucas' inevitable appreciation of Everything Must Go.

Perhaps he will be the equivalent of the 90s newbie fan who fell for the Manics post-EMG??

Maybe not but I predict he gives it at least an 8 out of 10.
Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books?!

Glad you guys are still enjoying it
Old 07-04-2020, 21:59
Doors slowly closing

‘I have come here to chew bubblegum and listen to part two of the ‘Do You Love Us?’ The Holy Bible podcast...

...and I'm all out of bubblegum.’

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---