Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-12-2010, 15:56
Doors slowly closing

Still think it is a very poor album, but to be honest i haven't had the chance to hear much of it in a live setting. Maybe they would work much better then like stuff off Generation Terrorists does, i'll never know.
Old 27-12-2010, 16:55
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
Still think it is a very poor album, but to be honest i haven't had the chance to hear much of it in a live setting. Maybe they would work much better then like stuff off Generation Terrorists does, i'll never know.
Darn, was hoping for a 'Radiomanic now loves Postcards!' type post!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 27-12-2010, 18:05
Knowlede Is Power

Trust me it's a grower!
I listened to it relentlessly on release and when you know the tracks by heart, they sound a lot better
I gave it one listen and to be completely honest, I wasn't blown away, but after 3 or 4 listens Golden Platitudes really grabbed my attention and I fell in love with Billion Balconies.
Lyrcally (I now this doesn't 'make' an album) there are some very impressive lyrics on there.
I understand that strings and choirs are not for everybody and that some have issues with over production, but I think a lot of the hate was a bit over the top (just my opinion remember).
After hearing It's not war live at the Brixton XFM show, I was pleasantly surprised! From where I was the crowd mostly seemed to know and like it!

I also think it will be criminal if PFAYM isn't released as a single as it is a catchy little sing-along number
Whilst I think Platitudes is the best song on the album, it is to similar in tone (not subject) to SKON. Hopefully this will be like lifeblood for some, and appreciated in later years as a very decent record.
I know the band are capable of better and can understand frustrations, but this needs to be judged on it's own merits and the band are clearly happy with it - it stands as a monument to the band at tis point in time, for that it should be embraced.
Old 27-12-2010, 19:37
Stretched out in the sun

Have to agree with you on the lyrics beautifuldistortion, most songs are superb with one or two weak lines, but overall it's very good on that front.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 27-12-2010, 20:37
Knowlede Is Power

^^ What would you say was the best song lyrically on the album?
I would go with either Golden Platitudes due to 'why colonise the moon' being beautifully written and sung
Or Balconies "a perfect answer to camouflage our screams" that sentiment sums up the song, regardless of whether or not the subject matter is agreed with it nails the point of the song for me.
Old 27-12-2010, 21:29
Stretched out in the sun

Golden Platitudes is absolutely wonderful on all points, flows so nicely, so it's a contender lyrically.

I really enjoy the melancholy lyrics of Hazelton Avenue though, despite the chorus lyric not making much sense in that respect. I may be tempted to say The Future Has Been Here 4ever despite the terrible Godfather 3 line haha.

Old 27-12-2010, 21:48
Knowlede Is Power

Ahh that line makes me giggle I understand his sentiment, but he done it much better with the 'carlito's way' line from Black Dog On My Shoulder.

I quite like the rousing - 'I will not give up and I will not give in' from Postcards, always cheers me up

It is a good album, fairly solid, lets all agree to like it in the future when all the fuss has died down
Old 27-12-2010, 21:49
Stretched out in the sun

I rate it as a good-ish album, just under KYE and Lifeblood. So they did better than average anyway

Old 28-12-2010, 11:40
I live to fall asleep

I don't even know the full lyrics to Golden Platitudes cos the lyrics aren't even in the deluxe booklet! What is the booklet like in the standard album version?
Old 28-12-2010, 11:42
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I don't even know the full lyrics to Golden Platitudes cos the lyrics aren't even in the deluxe booklet! What is the booklet like in the standard album version?
A T.S. Eliot quote on the back, pics on the left hand side, lyrics on the right hand side.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 28-12-2010, 23:17
Doors slowly closing

It's not a grower. I do know the tracks off by heart musically, but they're just very poor songs. I cannot bring myself to listen to it any longer, bar It's Not War which i always liked. It's their second worst album for me, such a disappointment after JFPL. SATT was disappointing as well, but at least that had Underdogs, Indian Summer and Rendition.
Old 29-12-2010, 17:07
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiB View Post
My favourites in order:

The Descent
Postcards From A Young Man
A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun
All We Make Is Entertainment
Golden Platitudes
Some Kind Of Nothingness
Don't. Be Evil
Auto Intoxication
I Think I've Found It
The Future etc
It's Not War
Hazleton Avenue
diction is as good as ever!
Interesting to compare initial thoughts with those 3 months later...

1. Golden Platitudes
2. Billion Balconies.
3. The Descent.
4. It's Not War
5. The Future Is Here 4ever
6. Postcards From A Young Man
7. All We Make Is Entertainment
8. Some Kind Of Nothingness
9. Don't Be Evil
10. Auto Intoxication
11. I Think I Found It
12. Hazleton Avenue

So not huge changes but some promotions and relegations going on!

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 29-12-2010, 21:09
Bored out of my mind

Played it rather loudly at work today! And some of the b-sides too! Sounded fab!
Old 01-01-2011, 18:25
I live to fall asleep

The next single confirmed: http://www.nme.com/news/manic-street-preachers/54410
Old 01-01-2011, 18:27
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Cool, looks good. Hopefully this one will do better, I personally think it's a better song than SKON or INW anyway.