Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-06-2009, 07:54
Builder of routine

'Use a thought to put myself to sleep' - That's a nice line, but I usually need a thought to wake myself UP.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:59
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhgrg View Post
He always says stuff like that, 'never been severely underweight' etc. I'd say being under 6 stone is more than 'vaguely' anorexic, although maybe anorexic's the wrong word?
Is 6 stones... 38 kilos or so? And wasn't he around 5'7''? If that's not underweight, I don't know what else is.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14
Builder of routine

'Midget' is used to refer to the tallest boy also in Rumble Fish. Didn't know where to put it. If anyone remembers, someone said the 'Midgets' line in PCP referred to Nicky and his hatred of smoking.
Old 06-07-2009, 23:45
this dead end

Quote:
Originally Posted by &ria View Post
i will go to my grave, swearing on a stack of nmes that "all is vanity" is about being in patient in mental health treatment.
Not sure if this is the right thread to put this inBut i belive that the title 'All is Vanity' is a refernce to a short story by Nikolai Gogol, cant remember its name now but I do remember it being in one ( it wasnt so long ago I read it).
Wonder how the two are connected?
Old 09-07-2009, 16:08
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by this dead end View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to put this inBut i belive that the title 'All is Vanity' is a refernce to a short story by Nikolai Gogol, cant remember its name now but I do remember it being in one ( it wasnt so long ago I read it).
Wonder how the two are connected?
I imagine it's more connected to its origins in the Book of Ecclesiastes than the Gogol story, and that Gogol himself took it from there.
Old 15-09-2009, 03:05
A self-made vacuum

Bumping an old thread; hopefully this is OK on this board and sorry if it's bad behavior!

I personally think All Is Vanity is just about living with a depressive disorder. What really made the entire thing click with me was seeing someone's comment on songmeanings.net where the lyrics in the chorus were put in quotes, like this:

Quote:
It's not "What's wrong?"
It's "What's right?"
It doesn't do much good to ask someone in the midst of a depressive episode "What's wrong?", because everything is wrong. The sardonic response therefore is "It's not 'what's wrong?', it's 'what's right?'"

Moving on... "Haven't shaved for days", a symptom of depression is ceasing to keep up with everyday tasks and basic hygeine. I think the part beginning with "I would prefer one choice..." is about a desire to simplify life and remove the parts that are difficult especially during a depressive episode: making one's own choices, being self sufficient. Being so dismayed by the contradictions in life that one simplified 'truth', even if manufactured, would make you content. Did anyone in primitive cultures suffer from mental disorders or are they a product of the modern world?

"Makes me feel like I'm talking a foreign language sometimes," feeling misunderstood, unable to articulate your view of the world, why you feel such despair about the human condition, and exactly what is wrong. Probably after describing the things that upset you to someone else, the response was a sarcastic "sorry, that's just the facts of life, sunshine".

Maybe a bit of an inside reference with "gives the appearance of delay" --> "forever delayed"? Maybe not.

I think the title also hearkens back to another lyric, though only obliquely. The one we all know and love of course... "self disgust is self obsession".

*sigh* This whole post probably sounds like I'm talking a foreign language, I'm tired and therefore not 100% articulate
Old 15-09-2009, 06:47
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn View Post
It's not "What's wrong?"
It's "What's right?"
That's how I heard it too, before reading the booklet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn View Post
*sigh* This whole post probably sounds like I'm talking a foreign language, I'm tired and therefore not 100% articulate
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. I agree 100%.
Old 15-09-2009, 10:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

Oh, I love this thread. Keep posting!

Hultsfred 1999 | Hultsfred 2001 | Truro 2007 | Hultsfred 2007 | London x2 2007 | Newport 2010 | London x2 2011 | Karlskoga 2011 | London 2011 | Copenhagen 2012 | Stockholm 2014 | Osaka 2015 | Copenhagen 2016 | New York 2022
Old 27-10-2009, 16:29
Builder of routine

Can anyone explain 'The weak kick like straw'? I don't understand the metaphor!
Old 27-10-2009, 16:30
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
Is 6 stones... 38 kilos or so? And wasn't he around 5'7''? If that's not underweight, I don't know what else is.
I have the audio interview where he says that he was only 6 stone. I looked up the conversion for pounds, and it would be 84. That's underweight, especially for someone 5'7.
Old 27-10-2009, 16:37
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Can anyone explain 'The weak kick like straw'? I don't understand the metaphor!
I just assumed that was because straw is a very soft material (it's the first and weakest house that the Big Bad Wolf destroys).

If you wanted to layer more depth on it than is probably present then you could view the straw in question as a 'straw man' - completely fabricated argument dreamed up by someone who is losing the debate (or who doesn't understand it) in order to try and win a point but which is ultimately doomed to fail. A weak way of arguing one might say.
Old 27-10-2009, 16:40
Builder of routine

The 'Straw Man' is a very interesting way to think about it.
Old 27-10-2009, 16:44
Footprint of history

Works well with the following "Words are never enough, just cheap tarnished glitter" line.

I do love finding meaning when it's not there in songs.
Old 27-10-2009, 16:46
Builder of routine

Buuuuurn to the writers.
Old 03-11-2009, 14:35
A self-made vacuum

R, I was just reading your Livejournal profile and now (relevant to the thread) I wonder if Richey meant "shards, Chartres" (rather than 'chards') and just has bad spelling? There are other spelling/grammar errors in the JFPL book so it's not horribly far off.