Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-03-2015, 13:31
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
2017 before we see any new material i reckon. Just in time for SATT10!!!
Oh no....

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 29-03-2015, 14:14
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
Sean happy hardcore solo album I reckon.
Right on.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:46
Freed from the century

Hello, everyone. I don't know where it's appropriate to introduce myself so this post will have to do. Apologies if it's a breach of etiquette.

On topic, surely the next anniversary is KYE15? Perhaps a deluxe edition with the album and b-sides divided into the two albums Nicky's hindsight suggested in an interview one time: namely Solidarity (the political songs, presumably including MATC), and Door To The River (the West Coast-sounding non-political tracks, including the title track which was used elsewhere later).

Hopefully I haven't committed an unpardonable forum sin by suggesting a deluxe edition of KYE.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:53
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Hello, everyone. I don't know where it's appropriate to introduce myself so this post will have to do. Apologies if it's a breach of etiquette.

On topic, surely the next anniversary is KYE15? Perhaps a deluxe edition with the album and b-sides divided into the two albums Nicky's hindsight suggested in an interview one time: namely Solidarity (the political songs, presumably including MATC), and Door To The River (the West Coast-sounding non-political tracks, including the title track which was used elsewhere later).

Hopefully I haven't committed an unpardonable forum sin by suggesting a deluxe edition of KYE.
Oh life could be a dream, shboom, shboom as the song put it!
Welcome to the forum and more love for KYE is required.
What the world needs is a great big melting pot. Big enough to take the world and all it's got. And of course big enough to accommodate a massive deluxe box of KYE wonderment.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:10
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Welcome to the forum and more love for KYE is required.
What the world needs is a great big melting pot. Big enough to take the world and all it's got. And of course big enough to accommodate a massive deluxe box of KYE wonderment.
Thank you!

I agree. Let me also say that KYE has an utterly beautiful design aesthetic to it - one of my favourites.

I remember the KYE-era official website had an innovative (but demanding, Flash-wise) graphic interface where each letter in article headlines flickered through the entire alphabet before settling.

It frequently crashed the computers I was using at the time, but I adored it.

Let me also say that the b-sides from KYE (e.g. Fear Of Motion, Groundhog Days, Masking Tape) are some of the finest the band have ever produced. Bliss.

And Ian Brown's remix of Let Robeson Sing has 'JDB flying a kite' on it.
Old 29-03-2015, 17:52
Knowlede Is Power

I flipping love KYE and SATT for what its worth.
Old 29-03-2015, 18:01
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I flipping love KYE and SATT for what its worth.
Yep.

The b-sides off SATT are also a bit good, especially when you put them altogether as a playlist and alternate version of the album.

I'll be appallingly controversial and say I've never liked Working Class Hero though. And it certainly shouldn't have been on the actual album; especially not taking up space Welcome To The Dead Zone could have used.

Also, Red Sleeping Beauty is one of their best covers, and The Vorticists is that track - there's one in every era - that hints at what the next album's going to be like. Outstanding.

Should Leviathan have been included on SATT? It's very much the same sort of sound, admittedly recorded two years previously.
Old 29-03-2015, 18:44
Administrator

Working class hero is awful. The SATT bsides are lovely.
Old 29-03-2015, 18:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Working class hero is awful. The SATT bsides are lovely.
I have You Know It's Going To Hurt on now. A remarkably moving track made all the more powerful, I think, by it remaining instrumental.

It's hard to fathom why they thought putting Working Class Hero on the album would be a good idea; Red Sleeping Beauty would have been a far more suitable hidden track if they felt a cover simply had to be added.
Old 29-03-2015, 18:53
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
James was talking about writing new songs recently somewhere.. or rather being too scared to.. wanting to make sure the direction is right... implies a new album of some sort eventually, but maybe not another Lifeblood
I want a new album! I'm sure they have some new material in stock Even if they do change their direction they just can't go wrong. Btw another Lifeblood would be awesome!
Old 29-03-2015, 21:49
Desire on its knees

Heyday of the Blood is a great SATT B side, one of their most Rush-like songs.

There was talk in an interview of the next album being a simple rock album, although obviously that could change over time.
Old 29-03-2015, 22:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post
Heyday of the Blood is a great SATT B side, one of their most Rush-like songs.
Yep, Heyday Of The Blood is a highlight of the SATT b-sides. When it was released Nicky wrote on the official website that it was a band favourite - raising the obvious question of why wasn't it included on the album?

Excluding great tracks and including lesser ones is a characteristic habit of the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post
There was talk in an interview of the next album being a simple rock album, although obviously that could change over time.
It'll be interesting to find out which of the songs among RTF/Futurology (and b-sides) provides, in hindsight, the missing link to the next album.
Old 29-03-2015, 22:16
I live to fall asleep

Heyday Of The Blood is a wicked song, played that just yesterday for first time in a while and remembered why I loved it. 2007 was a great time for Manics b-sides indeed!!! That song should be heard by more!!
Old 29-03-2015, 22:27
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
2007 was a great time for Manics b-sides indeed!!!
I had my SATT b-side playlist on earlier (and have it playing now) and it's astounding how strong nearly all the tracks are. Starting with Boxes & Lists (with has a great guitar solo), then the rollercoaster opening riff of Love Letter To The Future, and so on to the plaintive, exhausted introspection of Fearless Punk Ballad and Morning Comrades, it really has everything.

I should mention here that Lady Lazarus was one of my perma-repeat favourites of 2007.
Old 30-03-2015, 19:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Considering they wrote and recorded RTF and Futurology at the same time, that will mean it was recorded in early 2013, so that's two years ago now (where does time go?!?), so surely they have lyrics, riffs, tunes, ideas, whatever all ready to get recorded for a new album? I honestly think they'll start to get demos together later this year and have a new album out in early 2016, this is my hope
That's a great point, with Futurology already being in the rearview for them. After their shows and Patagonia, I bet they'll be itching to finalize and record everything they have ASAP, rather than taking time off. Gotta strike while the iron's hot!