Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 16:01
Administrator

Hmm, could Rich or Mr Richey = Richey?

I can't believe they didn't ask everyone called Richard's opinions before making JFPL just in case. *shakes head*
Old 10-12-2014, 16:18
Doors slowly closing

Going back to one of the previous comments about JFPL, the only truly objectionable thing about how the band have used Richey is that appalling hatchet job Nicky did with the manipulation of the William's Last Words lyrics.

No matter how he felt towards his bandmates, I'm pretty sure that was not WRWHW.
Old 10-12-2014, 18:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

Er, I never started this thread? This is misleading.
Old 10-12-2014, 18:58
Knowlede Is Power

I think he's dead.
Also if he isn't it's selfish definitely - I understand that people commit suicide and may feel they are utterly worthless but that doesn't directly compare with someone who has disappeared and gone to the effort of making a new life for themselves. That clearly shows a level of self worth by trying to carry on somehow.
It's then selfish as there's no way a person can Completley forget their family and friends and if they are sane enough to carry on a new life then they will definitely know the suffering their loved ones feel.

Maybe I don't fully understand as none of us really do, but surely we can all see that even if he's happy in a new life and really really HAD to start fresh, that it's still pretty awful to do that you your loved ones?

Oh and SHR please please tell is what evidence you base your theory on that the band are up to no good somehow!
Old 10-12-2014, 19:09
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
I think it's ridiculous they are playing an album lyrically penned by somebody else and trying to pull it off with some conviction. The HB album is all about the lyrics, it is known for its lyrics, and so by doing this they are no different to a tribute act in that respect. Plus the fact they've admitted they don't even know what the lyrics are about! 'REVOL - WTF?!' as they said...
So what, its a poetry album then?
Utterly ridiculous. There's always a tiny amount of people who insist Richey owned that album, in fact it would be nothing without the other three. They have every right to play those songs.
Old 10-12-2014, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
So what, its a poetry album then?
Utterly ridiculous. There's always a tiny amount of people who insist Richey owned that album, in fact it would be nothing without the other three. They have every right to play those songs.
I never said they didn't have the right...
Old 10-12-2014, 19:42
Administrator

Quote:
Er, I never started this thread? This is misleading.
No, the threads got split. That's what happens when you drag a thread so off topic. The oldest post automatically becomes the first.
Old 10-12-2014, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post

Oh and SHR please please tell is what evidence you base your theory on that the band are up to no good somehow!
Where are the words where I suggested they were up to no good? I just said I have my reservations about the 'official' version of events.
Old 10-12-2014, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
No, the threads got split. That's what happens when you drag a thread so off topic. The oldest post automatically becomes the first.
Right, but I'd never start a thread about this subject... I was simply contributing to another thread... in the wrong thread or not, surely it's up to me if I want to put my name to the start of a discussion?
Old 10-12-2014, 19:49
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
So the Manics may have taught a lot of you to question the big wide world, but what about actually questioning the band themselves? Their version of events? I know how this sounds to people (conspiratorial and troll-like) but all I can say for now is that the truth will out eventually.

1. Elizabeth - Maybe it's worth asking the band in all honestly how they came upon the Bugs Bunny folder?
2. Takk - Richey could have joined another band and made them famous. The band were about to fade into oblivion before Richey cut 4REAL into his arm. And lord knows they wouldn't have gotten any gigs/interest if it weren't for Richey's letters to the music press.
Err almost this whole post is where you imply the band know more than they say!
Don't understand why you don't just say what you think you know rather than stupid hints.
And don't be pedantic - you know full well why I'm pulling you up - I just ain't having it
Old 10-12-2014, 19:56
Administrator

Quote:
Right, but I'd never start a thread about this subject... I was simply contributing to another thread... in the wrong thread or not, surely it's up to me if I want to put my name to the start of a discussion?
Ok, sorted. End of discussion.
Old 10-12-2014, 20:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Go and read The Lord of the Rings immediately
For all the answers which you all doth seeketh are contained within.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 10-12-2014, 22:54
Born to end

Don't wish to be controversial, but I can't help but think that young Richard's lyrics are a tad overrated, as are the boy Wire's. Sure there are some great ones, but there's a lot of dross in amongst, including IMHO on THB. Just as well they edited Journal so well (apart from WLW which is a boj). Like somebody said earlier on this thread, the great strength is in James' ability to write guitar-based tunes (Postcards album notwithstanding).
Old 10-12-2014, 23:09
Winterlover

Quote:
I think it's ridiculous they are playing an album lyrically penned by somebody else and trying to pull it off with some conviction. The HB album is all about the lyrics, it is known for its lyrics, and so by doing this they are no different to a tribute act in that respect. Plus the fact they've admitted they don't even know what the lyrics are about! 'REVOL - WTF?!' as they said...

I think it's ridiculous they are playing an album lyrically penned by somebody else and trying to pull it off with some conviction.
why????

The HB album is all about the lyrics
NOOOOO!

by doing this they are no different to a tribute act in that respect.
Excuse me? This is not poetry, this is music. The album was recorded in the same personell as it is performed now. Do you want to say, that David Gilmour is a tribute act to Polly Samson becuase she wrote him lyrics???

Plus the fact they've admitted they don't even know what the lyrics are about! 'REVOL - WTF?!' as they said..
and what? I have no idea what are some of my songs about. Music is not about thinking, it's about emotions. Just listen and enjoy. To stand there and say: look - he definitely has no idea what was the line he just sang about - is ridiculous. Performing this kind of music is actually acting and James is one of the best actors in the world
Old 11-12-2014, 02:52

Re Richeys state of being comments... I do wonder if being away from the band lifestyle (he didn't like touring for a start) has been enough to take the edge off his demons to allow him to continue a life outside of hospital/or worse. I'm not suggesting he's happy somewhere but many people do go through years and years of mental health problems but they are still alive!

However, the big thing that concerns me is that he aparently left his Prozac behind? It's not the best idea to come off medications abruptly. Even if he had not been planning a suicide, it's not totally unheard of for people to do so on the spur of the moment, which potentially could be triggered by medication changes. Even tho he said he would never consider the "S" word, I just wonder if he was in some turmoil and made a rash decision while he was driving about near the bridge.

I'm very undecided. I always thought he was dead tbh but he did once say he would live by the coast with his dogs once he made the perfect record