Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Which album is better
This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours 30 71.43%
Rewind The Film 12 28.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-09-2013, 17:19
Winterlover

Agree with RookUK's post, but put S.Y.M.M. on that 'flawless run of songs' list for me.
Old 21-09-2013, 19:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
well.....commercially they seem to have gotten it into their heads that TIMT was their best period, as for some reason they think that Tolerate was their "only international hit". not true, really - the first EMG singles were pretty big everywhere, and the So Why So Sad & Found That Soul singles off KYE were released everywhere and did reasonably well. after that the wheels fell off somewhat, the FD set didn't really get that much of a push around the world to cash in.

i cannot wholeheartedly say 1 of the 2 albums here is better than the other. i will say this; RTF is perhaps the most relevant the band have been to me since TIMT. RTF speaks to me and connects aged 40 just like TIMT did when i was whatever age i was when that was released, mid-20s i think. the albums in between have been a mix of impressive and wtf, man. on the whole brilliant songs, and ones that certainly strike a note inside in the right places.

i suspect some here might know what i am saying, yeah?

so go on then, i will vote RTF, because the wagons are circled, there's no going back. TIMT can give me memories of days gone, RTF has an awful lot of today in it.
As always this man speaks the truth!
Old 22-09-2013, 02:36
Winterlover

Truth used to be a little throwaway to me but that album from Tolerate to blackdog has some of the most amazing lyrics and it suddenly clicked for me with that, it alongside with EMG seems to be the ones I revisit more as I get over, I would say there is more hope on Truth, there is very little on RTF, and I think 3 ways is the darkest thing Nicky's ever written.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:26
Bored of being bored

RTF has to be their 2nd worst LP ever, TIMT is light years better
Old 22-09-2013, 09:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

Why, oh why do you need to still compare something? Just enjoy the bloody music! Since the release of RTF, there have been thousands of posts comparing this to that, that to this, it's just stupid. Music is for listening.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:32
Under neon loneliness

Agreed. We should close the forum right now, all this pointless chit-chat about music is just missing the point!
Old 22-09-2013, 09:33
Bored of being bored

I look at RTF as a rubbish LP, it doesn't need to be compared to anything, the LP is for kids/hipsters/vogue lovers not music lovers.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:41
Under neon loneliness

As is everything any band has done since 2000, right? Or was it 1998?
Old 22-09-2013, 09:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
well.....commercially they seem to have gotten it into their heads that TIMT was their best period, as for some reason they think that Tolerate was their "only international hit". not true, really - the first EMG singles were pretty big everywhere, and the So Why So Sad & Found That Soul singles off KYE were released everywhere and did reasonably well. after that the wheels fell off somewhat, the FD set didn't really get that much of a push around the world to cash in.

i cannot wholeheartedly say 1 of the 2 albums here is better than the other. i will say this; RTF is perhaps the most relevant the band have been to me since TIMT. RTF speaks to me and connects aged 40 just like TIMT did when i was whatever age i was when that was released, mid-20s i think. the albums in between have been a mix of impressive and wtf, man. on the whole brilliant songs, and ones that certainly strike a note inside in the right places.

i suspect some here might know what i am saying, yeah?

so go on then, i will vote RTF, because the wagons are circled, there's no going back. TIMT can give me memories of days gone, RTF has an awful lot of today in it.
Not in North America they weren't. Tolerate was the first somewhat commercial tune they've ever had on this continent. EMG singles had no impact at all outside the fan base and alternative radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
I look at RTF as a rubbish LP, it doesn't need to be compared to anything, the LP is for kids/hipsters/vogue lovers not music lovers.
Haha, "vogue lovers". What the fuck is that?
Old 22-09-2013, 10:07
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
As is everything any band has done since 2000, right? Or was it 1998?
Old 22-09-2013, 10:18
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Haha, "vogue lovers". What the fuck is that?
Old 22-09-2013, 10:21

This Is My ROOF Tell Me Yours.
Old 22-09-2013, 10:27

I prefer This Is My Film Rewind It For Me
Old 22-09-2013, 10:30
Winterlover

Or
This Is My Film Rewind Me Yours
Old 22-09-2013, 10:31
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza_3121 View Post
Why, oh why do you need to still compare something? Just enjoy the bloody music! Since the release of RTF, there have been thousands of posts comparing this to that, that to this, it's just stupid. Music is for listening.
The band themselves have done a fair bit of comparing their back catalogue over the years to be fair. Even Nicky has mentioned some similarities between RTF and Truth; he's said 3 Ways To See Despair sounded like it could have fitted well on Truth. It's inevitable some comparisons are going to be made.